ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Re: sonny172cup "track racer project"

Congrats on your ards test mate

Great work on your Cup throughout

The RS4 looked awesome, but tbf the RSS ain't a bad replacement/tow car!

Few pics of the interior showing control panel, the switches control the Heater, rain light (there is room for more switches if I feel the need to go down that route). I will be making a smaller secondary control panel to mount the 12v socket, diagnostic and hazard switch, this will be located down by where the airbag ECU was.

p.s still have to secure the cable pulls and batt cable yet....

pl06.jpg

kqv8.jpg

Does anyone know a online link to a Aerocatch template? I have already looked on-line and on their web page but the print outs are not to scale, getting annoying now, would rather use a template to save the hassle of making one up. Cheers.

All sorts

Hi Sonny,

I have a bonnet here that used to have then fitted if you want me to put a piece of paper on them around draw the holes that's not a problem.

Pm me your address and I'll sort it out for you tomorrow.

182cup & 172 racecar

Ok, sorry, I thought you might have looked into that one.

I'll have a look upstairs in the workshop tomorrow, Sure I have a spare set kicking about, should have some instruction with them.

Can't you just enlarge the file to the correct size, then print it off?

Adapt, improvise and overcome...

My days at Art college finally paid off :cool:

Fitted the GRP bonnet today with the Aerocatches

Took rubbing from original holes

hj5e.jpg

Then the rest was history

7bkg.jpg

yv39.jpg

8n0j.jpg

Clio insured today £420 fully comb, all mods declared, with bolt on track day and competition day cover as when requested. First test drive since engine pull will happen today/tomorrow. I am taxing/insuring this for road so I can conduct minor road tests and to drive it to locations to get work carried out as I don't have access to a trailer just yet, think it makes economic sense at the moment.

So we are getting closer to Spa (9th October) and I only have 10 days free before then, So this is the deadline at the moment as mentioned before.

Jobs left that I will do ( 2-3 days max)

Tidy up wiring/wrap and fix to body
Fix extinguisher nozzles (MSA compliant metal P clips)
Make rain light bracket
Reinforce dash with lightweight brackets
Blank off T7 surplus heater ports
Drill 45mm holes in front cross member and front bumper
Fit cup racer brake cooler deflectors
Fix in place oil catch can
Fix in place ECU
Drill hole in bonnet to aid in cooling (ITB)
Paint rear tow eye (Red)
Fit pax seat and harness for Spa (but after corner weighting)
Make up new door cards and rear cards with old ones
Fit roll cage padding
Fit Wilwoods, however I have hit a problem, the alloy hub bracket hits the hub, only 1 bolt goes in, seems to be about 2mm out???
Re-fit front strut brace

Jobs that others will do
Vehicle wrap in baby blue
Engine remap
Geometry and corner weighting
Fit extra bolt in driver door bar
tap in 3 new bolts for sub frame support bracket

So thats that in a nut shell.

WRX

Who's it insured with Sonny? Just wondered for mine when it's done as that seems a pretty good price.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Looking great Sonny.

Did you keep any of the original dash bar or did you make your own dash top mount?

Sounds like its all coming together pal. Such a great build !!!

Thanks buddy, its getting there, starting to look like a car again

Who's it insured with Sonny? Just wondered for mine when it's done as that seems a pretty good price.

RIES, its on a limited mileage policy, there are restrictions so may not been the best. Try HIC, they quoted me £840 with unlimited track day cover (not competition) and road use, CCI is another one that mate used too.

RIES charged me £35 a day for bolt on cover at Spa last year (as an example).

Looking great Sonny.

Did you keep any of the original dash bar or did you make your own dash top mount?

Nope got rid of it all, the dash is held in by the 3 torx screws at the back and is supported by 3 metal brackets, I cut out the instrument panel support from the lower dash and this rests on the steering column, just need to secure it at that end and its good to go.

Bloody hell what a f**ktard...Spelt it wont, its R.E.I.S lol

Anyway...The car is all wrapped up for the week as i'm off on holiday tomorrow, flying to Texas, Austin for 4 night then onto Vegas for 4 nights, see you too soon :)

Right, back off hols and more work to do on the car.

Drove her for the first time today down to CodeRed Sevenoaks(50 mile round trip) and she drives perfectly, I must admit I was feeling paranoid all the way expecting something to brake or come lose, and if it did it would have been on my head. The roof scoop was amazing, was like a blower in the car, totally recommend one,I did get caught out in a down pure the thing was leaking so I will fit in a drain pipe at some point.

Matt down there sorted out the sub frame bolts (triangle plates) that I manage to overbore, so that's a job off the list.

The car felt very lively, and fast, the weight loss and new engine (actually with compression) felt very fast, however I was taking it easy due to running the old map for the old cams.

I have the car booked in with Mark Fish for his corner weighting and race set up geometry.

I also passed my B+E test yesterday....huge relieve as I failed the first time.

Jobs left

Wrap
Remap
General tidy up

So hopefully the car will be ready for Spa in October...24 days to go.

Nice work.

Matts comes highly recommended from me.

How much will that stuff with Mark Fish set you back? Interested in taking my car to him also.

Where you getting it mapped?

Nice work.

Matts comes highly recommended from me.

How much will that stuff with Mark Fish set you back? Interested in taking my car to him also.

Where you getting it mapped?

Cheers,

Yep Matt is a good bloke, he refurbed my gearbox prior as well, would recommend him.

Not got a clue about Marks price, I didnt ask...just called, booked it, ended up chatting about setting for 10 min or so.......I have used him before for the above so will go and find price if you want.

Regarding map, I need to spk to a few ppl yet, I dont want nothing crazy, just a safe map for what I am running.

Nope unfortunately not planned to but would love to, i'll have a look into it now :)

Doh and double doh :( Was going to say get Mike to do it

Clio.

If I had more time today, really and truly I could have corner weighted and set up the suspension.
Its coming together quite nicely that thing......
I think you'll agree I need to clear the Alladins cave soon. Once the Alfa is gone I'm clearing the place out.

Clio.

Buy British apples!!!!
Those Windsors were nice eh?
Yep little Alfa will be a nice little weapon when I've finished it.

Coming along nicely Sunny. What colour wrap are you going for? I've got matt black for mine, was thinking of red, green of yellow but wasn't sure and the Mrs liked matt black lol.

Coming along nicely Sunny. What colour wrap are you going for? I've got matt black for mine, was thinking of red, green of yellow but wasn't sure and the Mrs liked matt black lol.

Cheers Mark, im going for baby blue. I was thinking of Pastel Green. Those are good colours, Matt black might show the dirt/dust easily?

Have you been quoted any prices for the wrap?