ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard mk2 1.2 16 valve air intake mod

04 clio extreme 4
Anyone know if theres an after market air intake for a standard 58mm throttle body on a standard d4f 722?,

That or just some way to give it increased power into 5th gear. Throttle fully open and it wont accelerate and even slows down up hill but dont fancy slipping into 4th at 60+

Are these cars built to rev high, like over 4k rpm?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I used to rev the tits off mine to make it move so don’t worry about that. It’ll rev happily to wherever the redline is. It had an induction kit on it but no idea where from, it used to sound great for what it was 😂

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I thrashed my 1.2 around, change the oil regularly and you'll be fine. Once up to temp don't worry about redlining it, you'll need to, to get all 75hp or whatever out of it.

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
Im sure it makes the 75hp at around 5500rpm so some revs wont hurt , mine loves it the more revs the happier the car feels.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Cool beans. So no other solution... Just make it scream?

No known failures for caining it?

Yep, just warm it up first

The wife bought one as her first car in 2009 and kicked its head in all day ever day and put about 30k miles on it. I took it off her when I started doing a 60 mile round trip to work and took it up to 95k. We then gave it to her sister as her first car and she drove it like she’d stolen it too until she got rid of it on 125k. All it had in the entire time was a clutch which went on about 100k. It got serviced on about 80,000 miles and was never done again 😂. Absolutely cracking little car that was

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
My 1.2 is driven like that daily once it's warm and I haven't had any problems, just regular services should do the trick I believe.

Done 50K in mine now (78K on the clock) and this rings true. Serviced every 10K, new timing belt and pump when it needs it then given a beating.

Drive it like you stole it and it comes alive, as much as it can...

I only use 5th for cruising on A-roads and motorway, good pull at 4K but only on the flat. The only way to beat the hill is to hit it at 80+ 😂 Failing that, rev-matching when down shifting is useful to help it along

04 clio extreme 4
Good stuffs. Well ive got a 200 mile drive tomorrow. Shall abuse 4th gear a bit more. Its got 80k miles at the mo. Was sat still for 3 years while i sorted the money to get it back on the road. Done 150 miles as of the 3rd. Changed all fluids and filters sept the sender unit. Only MOT point was the front discs.

Just wondered if there was anything that gave it a bit more pull past 60 mph.

How hard/time consuming/sensible is a DIY clutch replacement and can you rear disc convert from drums? I shall have the belts changed soon as I can afford it.

Its got a full service history every year since 2009 so its been looked after. Shall give it an oil change end of next month and see if ragging it has done anything bad if theres no other signs.

Sorry for the essay. New earner, first car.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I wouldn’t bother doing a clutch unless it starts to slip. Rear disk conversion is possible but there’s quite a bit to change. You’d be better putting bigger/better brakes on the front as all rear disks will do is lock the rear wheels faster.

There’s nothing much you can do sensibly to get any more power out of them. They are what they are unfortunately and start to lose the fight with air at much beyond 70.

04 clio extreme 4
Not gonna go with a bucket mod. Might just make a heat shield out of some sheet aluminium to keep it a bit cooler. Seems the simplest thing to do to stop the air intake getting warm before the filter. Took the advice of using 4th a bit more and that got me by. Does about 4k rpm at 65, im happy with that.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Not gonna go with a bucket mod. Might just make a heat shield out of some sheet aluminium to keep it a bit cooler. Seems the simplest thing to do to stop the air intake getting warm before the filter. Took the advice of using 4th a bit more and that got me by. Does about 4k rpm at 65, im happy with that.
Most sensible option I'd say. In case it wasn't obvious I was taking the piss with cutting a hole in a bucket and putting that on :ROFLMAO: , bit of a running joke on here.

04 clio extreme 4
I bought a MK2 ph1 1.2 16v sport and have been bashing about in it, great motor!! Reminds me of my youth 😂
Seems everyone only ever posts on the net - youtube and alike- the 172, 182 or other sport models. Its so hard to find people who just have the standard 1.2 16v d4f 722. Mines an extreme 4 model, some trim package i expect coz the engines not different as far as I can tell. But no one mods them, and no ones ever repaired the rear suspension part that i may need to. Its very frustrating.

Clio 3 1.2 Extreme
Seems everyone only ever posts on the net - youtube and alike- the 172, 182 or other sport models. Its so hard to find people who just have the standard 1.2 16v d4f 722. Mines an extreme 4 model, some trim package i expect coz the engines not different as far as I can tell. But no one mods them, and no ones ever repaired the rear suspension part that i may need to. Its very frustrating.
I would go for the bigger engine model personally, rather than spend on modifying a 1.2 if I wanted more 'go'. These 1.2 engines have max torque at 4250 rpm, so should really come on song in that rev range. My own 1.2 has a unknown age cambelt, so for now I'm keeping the revs down until it is changed :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Have a look back to the threads from 2004-2008, there was loads of us on here had them and used to mod them, people used to take them to the drag strip and compete against each other lol

04 clio extreme 4
Have a look back to the threads from 2004-2008, there was loads of us on here had them and used to mod them, people used to take them to the drag strip and compete against each other lol
Well what i need to find are the rear arm bushes and if they can be fitted without extra toolage. I shall peruse.

Clio 1.2 2013
Hello mate, I also have a nice condition 1.2 2013 Clio. Very nice to drive although I’d like a bit more power if I’m honest. Would Air intake mods help?