ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripped 172 Turbo

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Thought it was about time I started a thread as I have had my 172 since November and a lot has happened since then. When I first bought it, the plan was to use it as a track car and not spend too much on it. As always I got carried away:D
Anyway I will let the pics do the talking, hope you all enjoy

Cheers
Chris

November 2007, standard 172
Image005.jpg

Car stayed on my drive, untouched until Feb 2008 when I started the stripping.

Image002.jpg

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Then bought these from D4VE (sorry for the phone pics:eek: )

Image022.jpg

007.jpg

And new wheel

06-04-2008023.jpg

then got some collies and new brakes

14-05-08002.jpg

003.jpg

Calipers have been re-painted since this pic and I have had some new compbrake decals made. Also have 2 piece 295mm discs but will get some better pics when its all fitted to the car.

Next was wheels, and although I tried, I just couldn't resist Turini's:cool:

002.jpg

Used the car for about 4 weeks like this,then decided to bite the bullet, get the engine out and get the K-Tec stage 2 turbo kit with 300bhp FTW:clap:
Was lucky as my mate let me use his garage, so in her new home for the next few weeks.
04-06-2008011.jpg

Standard, dirty engine bay

04-06-2008013.jpg

20 mins later!!

04-06-2008014.jpg

04-06-2008015.jpg

Bit later still,

10-06-08002.jpg

10-06-08003.jpg

10-06-08004.jpg

10-06-08005.jpg

10-06-08006.jpg

10-06-08007.jpg

080611_171036.jpg

Then at 1am the following morning we had it out and nearly stripped ready for a local engineering company to work some magic on the head/manifolds.

080617_232135.jpg

Following morning, had my company car loaded up and ready to go. Check out how much excess metal is on the manifolds:eek: , will all be matched to head/gaskets.

23-06-08001.jpg

23-06-08002.jpg

23-06-08003.jpg

23-06-08004.jpg

Thats pretty much as far as I have got so far, engine has been at the engineering company for 3 weeks now and will hopefully be back Wednesday this week. All the turbo kit has turned up from Dave at K-Tec but haven't had a chance to take any pics of it yet.
Next thing to do is clean/paint the engine ancilleries.

Will keep updating as things progress.

Cheers
Chris

A

ashy_gtt

Looking good mate :)

Where did you get the Turinis from? and were they in that colour or did you get them painted? I fancy a set for my 5... :approve:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Nice! :cool: , would love the turbo conversion on mine :evil: , but i love the performance/ fuel economy ratio at the moment with optimax being £1.27 round here :mad:

alien green rs133
if your going to use it on the track loose the aircon and ill swap you for some lighter headlights :D

Cro

Meg'd r27
noiiice, fair play for tackling it yourself! What are you needing to source yourself besides what k-tec supply in their kit? If you make the thread detailed enough it should come in very handy for some! :approve:

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Looking good mate :)

Where did you get the Turinis from? and were they in that colour or did you get them painted? I fancy a set for my 5... :approve:

Turini's were direct from Renault. Standard fit on the 182 trophy in anthracite or can also get them from K-Tec. Would look great on a 5:approve:

Stage 2 172 Turbo
noiiice, fair play for tackling it yourself! What are you needing to source yourself besides what k-tec supply in their kit? If you make the thread detailed enough it should come in very handy for some! :approve:

Only thing I have sourced myself was the adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but that was my choice. I looked at what the K-Tec kit included if you had it fitted at their workshop then just bought the parts I needed from Dave, even came with instructions for most of the work required including all the machining work needed for oil feed/return for the turbo:approve: . I will get pics of the kit next time i'm working on the car.
Last thing I will have to do is trailer the car to them to have the ECU remapped and set up once its all built up,oh and sort an exhaust (thinking something different to stealth/recessed at the moment;) )

Will try and make the re build of the engine as detailed as possable to help anyone else thinking of doing the same

182 FF
Will be keeping any eye on this thread should be good. Silver with Turini's looks quality, not that am biased mind......

A

ashy_gtt

Like that steering wheel which one is it? Any idea on what they cost with the boss? and does it cancel the indicators properly?

LY R26
good work so far.
really like them seats.

Where do you buy "Renaultsport" stuff from,
I saw someone with "Renaultsport" Sabelt harnesses a while back,
dead jealous.

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Thanks for all the comments guys:D .
Had a call from the engineering company to say the block,head, manifolds and flywheel are ready, going to get it tomorrow but the guy said he's gonna need 2 days to add all the work up for the invoice....oh god:S
Should have an update for you very soon.

White Sti Hatch
Thanks for all the comments guys:D .
Had a call from the engineering company to say the block,head, manifolds and flywheel are ready, going to get it tomorrow but the guy said he's gonna need 2 days to add all the work up for the invoice....oh god:S
Should have an update for you very soon.

Ah dont worry itll all be worth it in the end lol !

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Right, didn't get a chance to get the engine today so will have to wait another week:dapprove: . I did however get to clean/paint some of the parts before they go back on and also got some pics of the turbo kit. Enjoy

Turbo, cast manifold and down pipe

turbo006.jpg

turbo007.jpg

turbo009.jpg

Intercooler and boost pipes

turbo001.jpg

Here are a few of the other parts of the kit
Turbo oil feed & return, modified fuel rail,braided hose,uprated pump and paddle clutch (pressure plate is with the engine for balancing)

turbo011.jpg

While I had the camera out I thought I would get some pics of some bits I've collected but not had a chance to fit yet

Carbon engine cover:cool:

turbo014.jpg

Bailey's header tank

turbo016.jpg

Carbon door and 1/4 panel trims

turbo019.jpg

turbo017.jpg

turbo018.jpg

Refurbished calipers with new decals, 295mm discs and braided hoses

turbo024.jpg

Right, now what I got done today.

Cleaned gearbox

turbo025.jpg

Then 2 coats of silver

turbo027.jpg

same thing with the engine ancillaries

01-07-2008001.jpg

01-07-2008005.jpg

01-07-2008006.jpg

01-07-2008007.jpg

01-07-2008009.jpg

Think that will be it now until I get the engine parts back next week but will update asap.

Thanks
Chris