ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripped cars with solid topmounts, coilovers etc - how rattly?

Odd question I know but bear with me!
My clio is stripped, caged and has spherical topmounts, PMS spherical rear beam kit and polybushes elsewhere and the noise it makes on rough surfaces would have me pulling over in any normal road car looking for broken bits.
Is this normal, or should it be quieter? (I appreciated road noise and vibration will be worse, but I mean actual clunking and rattling at 5mph?
Cheers

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Have you checked all the obvious? Anything hanging off?

If the answer to the above is no,

Then yes to the question :)

Yeah its loud, exhaus is loud, stones on the bottom of the car are loud, tyre noise and vibration are loud and the whole car behaves like a drum, but its not the volume, more the noise that concerns me. I've given the bolts a once over but it still does it....

Listerine & Poledo
Clios rattle enough when they're OEM.
If you're trying to build a "race" car with top NVH qualities, you might want to call up Mercedes F1, because if you succeed they'll probably pay good money for it.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Mine rattles to buggery..can't really hear much over the noise of the track tyres let alone anything else!! Nut and bolt check every now and then or get someone who's in the know to do it.
Just re-read..not a lot of noise at 5mph but vibration rattles.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Mine rattles to buggery..can't really hear much over the noise of the track tyres let alone anything else!! Nut and bolt check every now and then or get someone who's in the know to do it.
Just re-read..not a lot of noise at 5mph but vibration rattles.

I realise it will be loud, I dont care about that, its expected, I wondered specifically if Spherical joints and coilover dampers were known to rattle from cold at low speeds on rough surfaces. I'm not alien to building cars, nor driving them stripped out, but I've never gone beyond polybushes before and the rattling is new.

Listerine & Poledo
The car was never a showcase of refinement from day 1, everything rattled, cold, warm, melting point, didn't matter.

Now that it's just a wafer-thin-steel tin with a gruff engine in the nose and probably a badmanz exhaust, how you're not deafened within 20 miles is beyond me.

4859F_P.jpg

Civic FN2 Track Car
Mine sounds like the passanger wheel is about to fall off when I drive on bumpy roads. I've polybushed everything and have ast's with pms top mounts and fully stripped. The only thing that slightly moves is the spring in the top hat. Only about 1mm or so.

Clio 182 trophy
Could if possibly be a drivshaft? Ive got pms topmounts that ive just fitted new bearing to on h&r coilovers and i have rattles that im putting down to drivshaft/cv. Ive had everything replaces inner outer track joints new steering rack new genuine wishbones, the only thing that hasnt been changed in the shocks themselfs driveshafts and wheel bearings, i also get a creaking noise when going slow, gunna replace both shafts hopefully before the trackday i have coming up fingers crossed

CLIO 172,CLIO182
83553-c5c3e2186c9c39786278449cef272757.jpg

Joking aside I drive round with these in(Free from work),however I am 48, mine bags creaks it sounds like bits are constantly falling off to the point its on the ramp once a week to check everything is tight.
As a golden rule I usually wait for things to happen .Good combat indicators that not all is well.
1.Sudden lurch to one side followed by a bang spring is broken or you have just lost a wheel
2.Sudden increase in exhaust note followed by a rumble from under the car and a car horn sounding:Exhaust has just fell off and hit the bloke behind
3.What sides like gravel under the car and then wheel wobble :You have lost your wheel nuts ....followed by your wheel(please refer back to number 1)
4.Heavy banging noise under braking or acceleration:Anyone of your engine mounts are broke take your pick
Other than that mine drives perfect

Attachments

• imagesGADC75QO.jpg
    imagesGADC75QO.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 91