ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Custom made by @Tom Johnson.

Managed to get the top of the dash in today, makes a massive difference visually. Also got my low x seat base and new bucket seat in, just squeezes in next to the cage.

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

182 trackcar, XC60t6
For future ref try dry ice on the tar sound deadening. Cheap and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
That cage is immense. Some good work there!
Like the wheels too! keeping them white?

182 trackcar, XC60t6
In NZ dry ice is readily available.....say 4£?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
That's one impressive cage. The aero wiper had me stumped for a bit! It should go on the drivers side, you can take the fixing out of the wiper and re-insert it the other way around so that attaches the right way around on the drivers side. :up:

ZWOMNKa.jpg

It'll be interesting to follow your progress. :smile:

So been busy moving workshops and the car was the last thing to be moved over hence lack of updates, also missed first race meeting.
So small update after work, fitted tow straps front and rear because race car.
IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0896.JPG

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Nice! I have one of Toms cages as well. How did you mount the window switches out of interest?

Thanks. I just cut out the correct sized square so they clipped into place tightly then used a hot glue gun and glued into place from behind. Can just reach them when harnessed.

A few updates.
I removed the steering lock, bypassed the immob and fitted the solid state electrical cut off's and extinguisher pull cables inside and out.
IMG_1009.JPG

I made a panel to house everything.
IMG_1122.JPG

Then tested my new ramp out at work...
IMG_1116.JPG

Then tackled the rear exhaust rubbers
IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

Tackled the front brakes today, new discs, ds pads, good ridge braided lines and race fluid.
IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

Then ended up with these codes to sort......
IMG_1201.JPG

Few more bits done. Extinguisher is now all plumbed in, one outlet to the engine bay and one to the drivers seat. I forgot to take a picture of this.
I then carefully removed all the unused brackets from inside, every little helps.
IMG_1244.JPG

I then gave it a clean inside and out.
IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

Just waiting on a new injector to arrive then should be ready to book a track day to test it out. Also need to get the wheel alignment checked.

Got half an hour this afternoon so I locked up, Chucked the trade plates in, went to the petrol station, filled her with super and went off to find some country roads to have a spirited 'test drive'. All I can say is wow! I love this car already, I can't wait to drive it in anger on a track.
The brakes are bedding in nicely, they have a great bite to them. The handling is precise and to goes like a rocket, overall I'm very happy.
Just need a non dished steering wheel, this is way too close and a little high. I might look into lowering the column a little - anyone else done this?
In hindsight I wish I'd got a black harness as the red doesn't really go with anything else.
Anyway a few out and about shots.
IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

About time I updated this.
On the test drive I found the dished wheel too close so I swopped it for this which is much better
IMG_1369.JPG

I then finished the extinguisher plumbing and all cables. Then padded the cage.
IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

Then booked in for an evening session at Cadwell park to finally test the beast out. It started well for an hour... crappy phone pictures.....
IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 61
I was really enjoying the car, the track, it was amazing until I got a little carried away, touched the grass, spun me a few times and spat me out the other side into the barrier.
IMG_1381.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG
IMG_1380.JPG

Sheared the ball joint, bent wishbone, creased subframe, shuttered disc, bent driveshaft, radiator & headlight along with the panel damage. They damaged the tailgate whilst recovering it onto the lorry. Not a great finish to the day but fun was had before this sad end.
This was at the end of July, I've since carefully measured up and luckily I've not bent anything structural on the shell or the subframe mounting points so it can be repaired. Updates to follow.

This is the sheared ball joint which looks strangely like it may have been like this for awhile ? Doesn't look like a fresh break to me?
IMG_1406.JPG

Impact ripped the bushes clean out the wishbone
IMG_1408.JPG

Bent subframe
IMG_1404.JPG

Disc
IMG_1410.JPG

Broken arb mount

IMG_1409.JPG

Just a small list then.

Clio 172 Cup/F80 M3
Great read mate, cage looks fantastic. Real tidy job, shame about the damage from cadwell though!! Hope you get it sorted.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Just read this project thread.

Really good progress! Shame about the bump, but you've carried on

I'll be following this thread!