ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

T. Turbo is back

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Yes Steve the seats are finally in there, only put them in last month as I didn't want them getting trashed.

Cheers Scotty and Andy it looks good so far, was hoping to just recalibrate the injector pulse width and use my old map but I ran into problems, Paul tried remote mapping it this morning but even he agreed that its gonna need a full new base map to get it going properly as Ive changed that much.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Sorry guys. You can see from my old posts I'm not really into taking photos of everything I do.

The car has been up and running for a while now. After getting my base map done on gate pressure I took my time running it inwith plenty of oil changes. Had a few small issues with the crank oil seal leaking which really annoyed me.

It had a full power map in June, on the dyno it became apparent that there was a problem with the vvt solenoid. Because I'm using coil sticks (as per 197/meg 250) I just used the 197 vvt solenoid. But it wouldn't operate as expected, I'm guessing this is down to it working of pwm, rather than the voltage switching like a 182. Anyway without vvt it made 441 bhp @ 1.5 bar of boost and pulled hard all the way to 7.8 k.

I'm going back to RStuning on Friday to have a new map with the VVT engaged, it should pick up in the midrange. I am tempted to wind it up to 500bhp but it's ridiculously quick as it is.

The only area I'm not 100% happy with is the gearbox, I'm using an ND0 001 DCi gearbox with an LSD. The ratios are a little long 75 in 2nd, 120 in 3rd, 150 in 4th, 196 in 5th and 242 in 6th (based on 7.5k rpm). But with the power they pull fine. My issue is changing gear at high RPM, it looks as though the DCi gears were designed with sub 5k rpm gear changes in mind, so when trying to change at high RPM it's quite a struggle and really detracts from the quality of the build. As such I've got a set of Meg r26 reasons to go in, I'm going to use the final ratios from my current gearbox which will give me a theoretical top speed of just over 200mph rather than 240 LoL.

I will update with dyno graphs at the weekend of all goes well

Last edited:
  Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
242MPH lol?
You have created a monster.

It would take more power to get that high, looking at what power it takes to do 200mph I think it would do a genuine 180plus but Clios were never designed for those speeds. LoL

Not a 320d
How on earth does the MK2, FWD Clio have the capability to put down that much power through its wheels lol.

Mental. Cant believe you got that much power from a f**king F4R, assuming it is an F4R still, and assuming its been modified to s**t.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Bloody hell!

I bet that shifts.

And serious lol at 180+ in a clio, probably feel like it'd take off. Ultimate sleeper.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
How on earth does the MK2, FWD Clio have the capability to put down that much power through its wheels lol.

Mental. Cant believe you got that much power from a f**king F4R, assuming it is an F4R still, and assuming its been modified to s**t.

Yeah it's an F4RT Block, 197 Head, Fully Forged with a full custom turbo setup. Loads of other supporting mods to keep things in check. It drives amazingly well, think normal Clio with an alter ego.

Bloody hell!

I bet that shifts.

And serious lol at 180+ in a clio, probably feel like it'd take off. Ultimate sleeper.

Total sleeper, just looks like a stock trophy on 2118s. Eagle eyed people might notice the 4pot calipers but there's not a lot to give the game away.

Total sleeper, just looks like a stock trophy on 2118s. Eagle eyed people might notice the 4pot calipers but there's not a lot to give the game away.

That's how all the cool kids roll.
AABBAA2F-3D61-4EE4-BE98-7ED30BB362C4.jpg

Ok you can see the seats and cage, but that doesn't give away the devil within :)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'd be scared of that bhp in my Megane and that feels like a tank compared to my old 172!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Well it's not all good news, first off mapping was today, I honestly thought it was booked in for Friday but when I double checked on Thurs night I realised my mistake.

So I've just got home, and currently have 432bhp and 390lb/ft. I'm not gonna lie it's still awesomely fast but the whole point of today was to activate the VVT. I'm using a Clio 182 inlet and a 197 Exhaust , I've got a vernier pulley on the exhaust cam and I'm using the 182 VVT pulley so have 16 degrees when activated.
In theory they should be a great combo, they are almost identical to Kelford 272's what the EVO boys use in their 600bhp cars. I've advanced the exhaust cam to reduce the overlap, but it's still quite a bit compared to most turbo cams. Anyway the results are disappointing, with the VVT on the overlap is so bad that it increases spool time by 1000rpm and I lose loads of midrange torque. Very disappointing but there's not many people tinkering on at this level and I figured it was worth exploring.

Next phase will be the retro fitting of either stock 182 cams or some catcams rs250 profiles, I'm using the 197 Head which had the cam speed sensor. Obviously I'll need a 250 pulley but with the greater adjustment it's the logical way to go.

I had a chat with Paul about the power output, it would be easy to wind the boost up to 500plus, but the harsh reality is I'd just be doing it to brag about it and it would make the car undriveable. As such the power is at a sensible level, for the time being. I still haven't setup my boost per gear yet which should allow more boost in the higher gears.

Time scales I'm looking at doing it over Xmas, with work and a holiday in Nov I just can't see me getting time to do it sooner. In the mean time I'll just make do with its current output.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well it's not all good news, first off mapping was today, I honestly thought it was booked in for Friday but when I double checked on Thurs night I realised my mistake.

So I've just got home, and currently have 432bhp and 390lb/ft. I'm not gonna lie it's still awesomely fast but the whole point of today was to activate the VVT. I'm using a Clio 182 inlet and a 197 Exhaust , I've got a vernier pulley on the exhaust cam and I'm using the 182 VVT pulley so have 16 degrees when activated.
In theory they should be a great combo, they are almost identical to Kelford 272's what the EVO boys use in their 600bhp cars. I've advanced the exhaust cam to reduce the overlap, but it's still quite a bit compared to most turbo cams. Anyway the results are disappointing, with the VVT on the overlap is so bad that it increases spool time by 1000rpm and I lose loads of midrange torque. Very disappointing but there's not many people tinkering on at this level and I figured it was worth exploring.

Next phase will be the retro fitting of either stock 182 cams or some catcams rs250 profiles, I'm using the 197 Head which had the cam speed sensor. Obviously I'll need a 250 pulley but with the greater adjustment it's the logical way to go.

I had a chat with Paul about the power output, it would be easy to wind the boost up to 500plus, but the harsh reality is I'd just be doing it to brag about it and it would make the car undriveable. As such the power is at a sensible level, for the time being. I still haven't setup my boost per gear yet which should allow more boost in the higher gears.

Time scales I'm looking at doing it over Xmas, with work and a holiday in Nov I just can't see me getting time to do it sooner. In the mean time I'll just make do with its current output.
Just as an FYI, you'll get more inlet advance using a 197 dephaser pulley.

Also, would it not be more worthwhile running a 1*2 exhaust cam instead of the 197 item? It's a real minefield speccing cams for turbo motors!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
It's a tough call mate, both routes have been tested. Ive used 182 cams in my other set ups but I just feel that using the rs250/197 vvt pulley and rs250 catcams still give more scope for optimising.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's a tough call mate, both routes have been tested. Ive used 182 cams in my other set ups but I just feel that using the rs250/197 vvt pulley and rs250 catcams still give more scope for optimising.
Yeah that's fair enough mate. I think if it was me, I'd have gone 1*2 inlet and exhaust cams, or possibly 1*2 exhaust with a 197 inlet cam.

If you have the full lift/duration specs, I can put you in touch with an extremely clever man that knows s**t loads about cams for turbo motors.

Oh and use the 197 dephaser solenoid if your not already. Trust me - that's all I'll say. :wink:

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Yeah, Ive got both solenoids and both pwm and normal switching on the ecu. So should be able to get it to work fine. I kind of thought I might end up going down this route so when I did the loom for the car I wired in the cam speed sensor and ran the cables through the loom to the ecu and just left them unterminated ready to install.

Ex 182 owner
Respect is due TT. I love the endless development you and NLC have put into your respective build threads.

p.s lol..."500bhp..I would just be bragging" i think that shipped sailed somewhere past a reliable everyday 300 ;)...not that you do.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Amazing.

Sorry to hear you're let down but just take a second to understand that you personally said "432bhp is a sensible power" haha

My hat is well and truly off to you sir, the amount of time and effort you've put into this is unreal.

PH2 172

When comparing Dyno results,it would be good to see ambient temperature,humidity & QNH figures displayed to guage a true measure of the results of experimentation.:smile:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
To update - We have purchased number 54 off Steve H back in December 2020.

After several months of rebuilding and furthur modifications its now road legal again and a few of you might have seen it at CS Festival yesterday.

Sneak preview, have approx 200 hours of updates to come in due course ;)
20220715_173850.jpg
20220715_173910.jpg
20220715_174049.jpg
20220715_173645.jpg
20220715_174141.jpg
20220716_090520.jpg

More to come soon!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
What power is that running?😍
Currently 270ish hp @ 8psi wastegate prsssure. On high boost its 349hp @ 14psi, had to stop at that as issues with the fuel system so need to fix and revisit. 28psi should see some good hp mid to high 400s.
looks slow.....
Wanted to see if the kangoo could keep with it on way back from csf. Shez said no and next thing shes off like f**k in it. Oldskool racer tricks :LOL: