ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The £600 Cup Track Build

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Great build thead your doing :up: Did you find/feel any difference in the PMS rear disc set up to the OE ?

Oops just noticed they are top mounts..ignore that question

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Well thats the car in the garage now for the winter, few small things planned for next year mostly tidying things up. Said that was me on buying things until next year but couldnt resist on a couple more.

Picked up a cup racer fuel set up off Sam on here, my fuel rail clip is snapped and ive been wanting one of these for the safety factor also so thought may as well (Tell myself these things to justify the spending ha!). Satisfys my OCD as well having everything simple, will run the hose through the car.

22832469302_829d787367_z.jpg

Next up is the supercharger kit from Chris on here @marinemackay2003. Fantastic bit of kit and service, supplied with the brakcets, belt and all pulleys so aside from this theres not much more needed to get the supercharger going. Im not going to fit in just now, going to do a few more track days etc and then decide whether ill just bolt it on or build a new engine to play it safe. Part of me just wants to bolt it on and run the risk, with sensible power theres a few people been ok on here with standard internals (unlike @Stu. poor guy).

I currently have now the brackets, intercooler and megane crank pulley, if i do just bolt on ill time it for when the belts get done next year.

22453834579_3f8a19e8c3_z.jpg

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well thats the car in the garage now for the winter, few small things planned for next year mostly tidying things up. Said that was me on buying things until next year but couldnt resist on a couple more.

Picked up a cup racer fuel set up off Sam on here, my fuel rail clip is snapped and ive been wanting one of these for the safety factor also so thought may as well (Tell myself these things to justify the spending ha!). Satisfys my OCD as well having everything simple, will run the hose through the car.

22832469302_829d787367_z.jpg

Next up is the supercharger kit from Chris on here @marinemackay2003. Fantastic bit of kit and service, supplied with the brakcets, belt and all pulleys so aside from this theres not much more needed to get the supercharger going. Im not going to fit in just now, going to do a few more track days etc and then decide whether ill just bolt it on or build a new engine to play it safe. Part of me just wants to bolt it on and run the risk, with sensible power theres a few people been ok on here with standard internals (unlike @Stu. poor guy).

I currently have now the brackets, intercooler and megane crank pulley, if i do just bolt on ill time it for when the belts get done next year.

22453834579_3f8a19e8c3_z.jpg
This will be interesting....... :)

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Well no exciting updates on the car front. Got bored the other day and picked up some old headlights from the scrappy and made some blanks along with some black mirror covers, the things you do when your not aloud to spend money lol. I've ordered a rectangle duct to fit in to the plastic also should be here next week.

23382137564_14bf859866_z.jpg

23382132074_26322024f5_z.jpg

23984274226_1d37fafb77_z.jpg

23984269836_38a2220eb2_z.jpg

23984268546_086fc4d5ac_z.jpg

Need to clean up a few bits still and fit the cup racer fuel rail when I can be bothered!

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
So what's happening with the other engine and the supercharger kit....... ?

Other engines been scrapped Craig, bottom end gone and leaking oil through the head with crazy pressures wasn't worth the risk. The plan was to just bolt the supercharger on to the standard engine.

Plans looking to buy a house next year now though so I'm not aloud to buy a charger so unsure if I'll just sell the brackets or wait until the house is done lol. The main focus is to just do more track days next year :smile:

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Other engines been scrapped Craig, bottom end gone and leaking oil through the head with crazy pressures wasn't worth the risk. The plan was to just bolt the supercharger on to the standard engine.

Plans looking to buy a house next year now though so I'm not aloud to buy a charger so unsure if I'll just sell the brackets or wait until the house is done lol. The main focus is to just do more track days next year :smile:
More track days Sounds like a good plan mate.... I'd hold on to the brackets, you never know what may come up the right price 🙈 lol. Saying that, I've held on to everything that came off the Trophy to put back on it if I decide to part ways with it, so I now have a garage that you can't move in!!

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Boredom Update

No shiny new parts or anything I'm afraid. Took a picture the other day of the engine bay outside for the first time in ages and i nearly cried looking at the state of the rocker cover etc compared to how it all looked when i first put it all together so decided to give it some elbow grease. I have to fit my cup racer fuel rail anyway so started stripping of the ancillaries of the engine to give me a good base to start from.

First off was to clean the rocker cover up and give it a lick of paint. Ive put the inlets in to get the same yellow as the rest as I'm not liking the anthracite with the silver. Next is to remove the coolant bottle and throw it in the dishwasher as the previous engine has left it looking nasty! The nimbus is getting removed also and replaced with the small heat shield that @cpaterson76 has on his trophy, nice and simple. Anyway couple of picks from today of so far.

23774349943_6e01e22272_z.jpg

23772959924_1fba889f42_z.jpg

24401160285_7a26f6a3bd_z.jpg

24033339809_bd3d7fd88d_z.jpg

24401139075_2de93aebd4_z.jpg

So being so cold and the paint taking a life time to dry i started on the interior. Ive been planning on giving the inside a lick of paint to tidy it up a bit and also remove the lower dash and heater assembly purely because i won't use it. Once the dash was off i was welcomed with lots of useless redundant plugs and wires which annoyed me being there. Im going to work through the loom removing the simple things (following diagrams of coarse, heard the UCH horror stories). Doing this completely for a tidy, not interested in the weight side of things at this minuscule level lol.

Been a great day, I've proper missed taking things apart :smiley:

24105505180_c356fe8d47_z.jpg

24374922186_6859a69c16_z.jpg

Hopefully get a lot more done tomorrow!

Wana come strip down my loom for it? I don't have the patience and it scares me. I am looking for the minuscule weight savings [emoji23]

Leave your heater in, you'll need it to de-mist your windscreen if it's wet etc, imho not worth removing. I've kept mine

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Wana come strip down my loom for it? I don't have the patience and it scares me. I am looking for the minuscule weight savings [emoji23]

Leave your heater in, you'll need it to de-mist your windscreen if it's wet etc, imho not worth removing. I've kept mine

If mines works after it then of coarse haha.

Na heaters definitely coming out. After seeing stus silver one with it all removed i loved it! Will be using a small electric blower for the windshield. Quite surprised you haven't removed yours, weighs more than a few wires lol.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Bit more out today. Removed the heater and blower system. Ended up cracking it removing the dash bars so that made my mind up! Removed the alarm system also, I've got the loom indoors now so will tackle that in the coming weeks. Just the back bit of the cage and a couple other bits and the inside will be ready for a lick of paint.

I'm going to weld some plates to blank off the holes left by the heater incase anyone's wondering.

24310432112_c3db3e1cc9_z.jpg

23790484994_29b5919448_z.jpg

23791888293_8c173df1d6_z.jpg

Good work on this, it's looking goood!

Do any prep on the rocker cover? guess degrease and what not?

and with regards to the loom it just keep things plugged in so you know what they do then go from there, very easy to get mixed up - I speak from experience I went through a loom trying it, but now I've got a spare so I know what most of it does now haha.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Good work on this, it's looking goood!

Do any prep on the rocker cover? guess degrease and what not?

and with regards to the loom it just keep things plugged in so you know what they do then go from there, very easy to get mixed up - I speak from experience I went through a loom trying it, but now I've got a spare so I know what most of it does now haha.

I planned on prepping it good mate but ended up just wiping the main oil residue off and then spraying with the hamarite direct to rust. I wasn't expecting great fun finishes but it's surprised me turning out really good especially with minimum prep!

Yeah i remember you saying that in your thread, I'm being very cautious with it lol. Hopefully following the diagrams I'll be able to figure out what not to cut ha.

I planned on prepping it good mate but ended up just wiping the main oil residue off and then spraying with the hamarite direct to rust. I wasn't expecting great fun finishes but it's surprised me turning out really good especially with minimum prep!

Yeah i remember you saying that in your thread, I'm being very cautious with it lol. Hopefully following the diagrams I'll be able to figure out what not to cut ha.
Do you have any diagrams you can fire over my way, would be good to actually get some diagrams behind me!

Awesome that sound likes my kinda spraying! minimum prep!

Car looks excellent now i must say, with all the clean parts, I like dat

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have any diagrams you can fire over my way, would be good to actually get some diagrams behind me!

Awesome that sound likes my kinda spraying! minimum prep!

Car looks excellent now i must say, with all the clean parts, I like dat

I don't at the moment mate I'm about to put the feelers out to get some, hopefully a few people on here have them.

Cheers mate, yeah I'm the same can't be bothered with prep just want it done!

Clio 172 (CUP)
I have some I can dig out that were kindly shared by fellow members on here. Shame they can't be hosted somewhere to build out a library, but I expect it is a distribution issue for Renault.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Finished the loom today bar the wrapping, lots removed in the end.

23918831073_eea245229a_c.jpg

I'd been following wiring diagrams to make sure I wasn't removing anything I shouldn't have, but was still nervous about plugging it back up after some of the horror stories. So tonight I put it in the car for testing.

23918832973_ede0918291_c.jpg

I currently have the manifold, injectors and coil pack etc off so wasn't planning on starting just to check the lights.

First try had he immobiliser light flashing on second turn of the key, I turned off and then checked all connections. The bulkhead connector wasn't fully on so I tightened that up and tried again.

2nd attempt resulted in the immobiliser light off but a relay clicking inside the UCH and when turning the key or locking doors the immobiliser light would flash. Indicators don't work and Coil light was also on at this point. If I move the loom near the UCH around the clicking stops and the immobiliser light goes out plus all indicators work fine. The coil light is still on, would this be due to all the connections in the engine bay I have off?

So in conclusion it looks like there is a broken wire in the loom going to the UCH somewhere. Once I had the loom in a good position I turned everything off and then on and the immobiliser light goes out as should. I hate electrics.

Car looking sorry for itself, wish I'd just leave things alone when they work lol.

24545631475_64d57d179b_c.jpg

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I hate electrics also. I wanna cut the loom down but just like you I'm worried it wont ever run again lol mines been in the garage too long as it is.
Looks good tho.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The coil light is due to it not being connected I imagine. Easiest way to rule that out is to plug it in and make sure it's bolted to the inlet/engine. Can't quite remember if they're earthed through the engine you see - some coil packs are.

What wiring have you removed so far? You ideally need the engine ready to start so you can make sure you've got a temp gauge, fuel gauge, rev counter and ems light.

Without being there to check through some stuff, this may be easier to find!
image.jpeg
Check all the relays are fitted fully in the uch. After that you need to wiggle each wire individually and see if you get the fault reoccurring.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
The coil light is due to it not being connected I imagine. Easiest way to rule that out is to plug it in and make sure it's bolted to the inlet/engine. Can't quite remember if they're earthed through the engine you see - some coil packs are.

What wiring have you removed so far? You ideally need the engine ready to start so you can make sure you've got a temp gauge, fuel gauge, rev counter and ems light.

Without being there to check through some stuff, this may be easier to find!View attachment 145354 Check all the relays are fitted fully in the uch. After that you need to wiggle each wire individually and see if you get the fault reoccurring.

Hopefully that's the case, inlets are getting painted so I'll try just plugging the bits back up first.

I've removed radio, heater, headlight adjust, speakers, alarm, most of the airbag but kept the nessasery wires as per @GrahamS picture, clock and centre light. Everything was removed back to either the junctions or at the terminals.

As you say I think I'll just need to go through each wire near the UCH and determine which one is damaged. Needle in the hay is spot on lol.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'd look through the diagrams to find which of the wires is a live, ground and then find the specific control wires last. What a total pain though I agree!

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
I think I've dodged a bullet on the coil side anyway. Plugged the coil pack, throttle body and fuel rail back up and the lights are now good bar the battery and solid red which I got from time to time before with my battery.

With the loom still in a good position I've had no more bother with the UCH, however I want to find the culprits as it will be a bit pointless leaving it now.

24477495201_74421f3808_c.jpg

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Not much of an update but added the couple painted bits and new coolant bottle, looking fresher!

View attachment 24776718390_9237074aa2_c.jpgUntitled by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Also ordered a 180 degree bend and joiner last week to loop the coolant pipes now I've removed the heater, turned out ok.

View attachment 25072325725_970e693bdc_c.jpgUntitled by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Still can't get the battery and stop light off! Tried another battery today which I think has charge but same again. Immobiliser light turns off on second click of the key and everything else works as it should.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I have the battery light stop and service light too and all I've done is relocate the battery and fit a on/off kill switch. Lol
Mine won't restart after cutting the power off with the kill switch either hence why I haven't trimmed the loom down yet haha.

Engine looks really good

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
I have the battery light stop and service light too and all I've done is relocate the battery and fit a on/off kill switch. Lol
Mine won't restart after cutting the power off with the kill switch either hence why I haven't trimmed the loom down yet haha.

Engine looks really good

I'll never understand Renault electrics lol.

Will yours start with the battery and stop light? I can't try as I have my fuel lines off, just hope it does and it's not the loom :(.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
It did yeah and the battery light would go off and pretty sure the stop light would too but service light would stay one.
I can't start mine either atm as I need to get my snapon machine to go into the immobiliser settings to check the code is there and then t will start until I turn the kill switch a
Haha

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yes I just looked at the CM site and it's down.

Just read through all this - great build. Probably one of the best looking Cups I've seen. Wheels/ride height etc, all spot on.