ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The £900 PH1 172 Track weapon

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Well as a few know i bought my PH2 172 back in may, the plan was to semi strip it to make it a touch faster than standard, the end result was 184bhp & no seats - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=340164, Goes bloody well & first hand i got a feel for how effective power - weight ratio works but i still had alot of luxurys like xenons, climate control etc & it was still a daily driver so a full hard core strip could not be done....

Well 2 weeks ago i picked up a mega cheap PH1, running, MOT till april, cambelt done 15k ago, she was ready to roll, but it was expected that the gearbox was fooked as it was so nasty to pull away & change gear plus there were lexus lights & wolfrace 17" alloys which are not my cuppa so heres how it looked the day after i bought it

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00541.jpg

So it looked as if it had seen better days but restoring is what i love doing but before it could begin i wanted to get the engine/gearbox sorted.. so just before work began on stripping the engine, the engine mount cought my eye

DSC00546.jpg

Thought it was a long shot but thought it could just be the engine mount...

well this is a pic of the mount removed next to my new"ish" upper engine mount

DSC00596.jpg

Yep the old one had completely ripped away :eek:

So bolted all the new one in & took it for a spin... FIXED :D So now i aint gotta take all the gearbox out :)

How the new mount sits

DSC00598.jpg

So with that sorted abit of Exterior work was carried out :cool:

DSC00581.jpg

So then on the weekend Me & Ivan started to pull the thing to bits :evil:

DSC05325.jpg

DSC05330.jpg

Mmmm my sexy buckets, 7kgs a side :cool:

DSC05327.jpg

And my brainstorm for the airbox, bye bye nasty 90 degree bend ;)

DSC05331.jpg

Will mount the Ecu underneath & drop the batterey in the boot or by the passenger foot well, will be using a dry cell so no worrys about fumes ;)

Updates should be up soon

James

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Lol, im guessing amy no longer has dibs on this??

LOL, she was not a happy bunny when i was thinking about it, then when she saw me & ivan going mental stripping it down on the weekend she was far from impressed, think she's gonna get a PH2 now any hows so its all good ;)

340i
Join the stripped PH-1 club dude... you've finally got a proper 172 :rasp:

Let the fun times commence!!

Qashcow
eww looks a state with those rims and lights on lol. should be a good little thread. great news about the shagged gearbox / engine mount. bargain car then

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
you've finally got a proper 172 :rasp:

I know :eek:.... Still got the Lardy Ph2, gonna be taking the coillys off it & just throwing some apex springs on it, will be the daily"ish" driver & the PH1 will just be my real full size go-kart :cool:

You got any more of your Gray-motorsport de-cats left mate?

eww looks a state with those rims and lights on lol. should be a good little thread. great news about the shagged gearbox / engine mount. bargain car then

Big relief mate, should be complete sooner than i thought :cool:

looks much better now james. good work.

looks like a good project mate

Cheers guys, cant wait to get it back on the black stuff :D

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Glad you saw sense and decided to turn the shed into the track car, didnt quite make sense having the minter for that kinda thing, track cars end up sheddy and sometimes even get dirty ... ;)

Looking good so far James :cool:

340i
None left matey...

Gray-Motorsport
has unfortunately gone into administration due to these bad financial times! the "Credit Crunch" has taken another victim hahahaa

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I know mate, just kept thinking how gutted i would be if i pulled the ph2 apart on the track :cry:

Ohhhhh this is gonna get some abuse on the track lol, will be serviced to my standards so hopefully will hold together lol

Think its just gonna be for the track & sunday braknell cruise :evil:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
None left matey...

Gray-Motorsport
has unfortunately gone into administration due to these bad financial times! the "Credit Crunch" has taken another victim hahahaa

Dammmm gredit crunch!!! LOL, every one knows the unique grey motorsports make clio's upto 184.5bhp ;)

Gray mate whats the stripage level on yours?

Monaco RS Clio 172
won't ever convince me the ph2 isn't the better one tbh.. think you should defo leave the coilys on it!!

Monaco RS Clio 172
ignore me ;)

just jealous. I'd love a ph1 for a track toy!

with regards to this james sorry to be off topic.. when you remove your back seats and seat belts.. do you get serv+airbag light on the instruments?

removed my belts today after loving the results from rear seat removal and now have a nasty couple of lights come on.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Yep you'll get the SERV & AIRBAG light come on :dead:... annoying at first but i've just got used to it after failing with the bloody resistor trick.. You should just be able to plug your seats back in mate a walla ;)

And yes i know the PH2 looked sweeeet on coillys but apex springs will do ;)

Monaco RS Clio 172
is one of my favourite clios going mate.. I am thinking of going down the carpet the back, and white roll cage, white turinis, ktec recessed exhaust..

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Sounds good mate, mine was fooking quick stripped.. will miss it :dapprove:... will have an even more stripped Clio now though :evil:

Monaco RS Clio 172
so are your plans full cage, coilys, tune her up to your ph2s standard?

mine is so noticeably quicker it is unreal considering. altho I did have a big b@stard sub and amp too so.. that's 30kg just on it's own... along with 172 spare wheel and kit, iso bar rear bench / seats and belts..

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
no no no... cage weighs to much :eek:

My argument against the cage is that the road going frame is in theory strong enough for road use/crash when it was the weight of a tank.. now that its gonna be 100+kgs lighter, hopefully, therefore if it was to roll there would be less weight on the pillars then its supposed to take so should be more than strong enough ;) ( now waits for the pro's to say - utter b****cks your talking james :rasp: )

But yes i do plan to get the engine to over 180bhp, same mods as my PH2, will be interesting to see what removing that 90 degree bend will do :cool:

If your in the area, being as kent is not miles away, drop by & check out the buckets, you'll have them standard seats out quiker than you can blink lol & they weigh nothing :cool:

Clio 182 :)
Nice James nice... what are your plans on the engine ? ;)

(great idea about the airbox, really really good... shame you have to remove the battery though (for a day drive car I mean)

:cool:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Nice James nice... what are your plans on the engine ? ;)

(great idea about the airbox, really really good... shame you have to remove the battery though (for a day drive car I mean)

:cool:

Another project begins MoRpH3uS mate, handy that i dont use this daily so the batterey will be shifted to where ever theres space lol

Engine will be similiar spec to the PH2 - De-cat, re-map, matched inlets etc :cool:

MoRpH3uS, where abouts in france are you? i'm heading to the alps at christmas, dont plan to snowboard for 14 days straight & will have the Fat 172 with me lol so may try out some french twistys :cool:

Track valver + Ibiza FR
Sounds like a brilliant project and should be good when it's all finished!!!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
*** UP-DATE ***

Not so much to keep the weight down... but if i could only have 2 external mods it would be coillys & the Cupra splitter!

Before :

DSC00584.jpg

After :

DSC05335.jpg

DSC05338.jpg

Not every ones cuppa but i think they Finnish the PH1 front end off & add a nice evil look & at only £21.40 inc vat brand new from the seat delaer i cant complain :approve: Took me 45 mins to fit, did need my brother to give me a hand, not really a one man job!

Coilovers off the phase 2, got to be done

Thats tomorrows job then throw the PH2 on Apex springs when its repaired from the body shop so it still stays fairly low :)

awesome car

Sounds like a brilliant project and should be good when it's all finished!!!

Cheers guys ;)

BMW M5 & E36
I want a track toy now after playing with my 182 at Marham :(

Random question, but do you have both of them insured separately or do you swap the policy between the 2 as and when you feel like it? No chance Im paying for 2 RS policies at 19!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Random question, but do you have both of them insured separately or do you swap the policy between the 2 as and when you feel like it? No chance Im paying for 2 RS policies at 19!

Its currently SORN & off the road while the build goes on.. once complete i will more than likely insure it for the day to drive it too & from the track or look into a trailer... decisions decisions...... On with the build, worry about that later :approve:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
You'll go all the way from UK to the Alps with your ph2 ?

I did 4k miles around France, ie north, west & south coast and down into Spain via the Pyrennies (spelling?! lol) this summer so it'll be fine ...

I've got a cup - it was fine even without air con ;)

Oh and mountain roads are amazing :race:

BMW M5 & E36
Its currently SORN & off the road while the build goes on.. once complete i will more than likely insure it for the day to drive it too & from the track or look into a trailer... decisions decisions...... On with the build, worry about that later :approve:

Day insure is one way of doing things but most companies that offer it won't touch me because of my age, being young isnt always so good!

I'll let you get on :eek:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
*** UP-DATE ***

Not a massive one but, coillys removed from the ph2 ( ph2 now sits as high as a mountian :dead: ) & have bolted the coillys onto the PH1 :cool:

Well this is how it stands using the same height as the PH2

DSC05368.jpg

DSC05369.jpg

Well it seems that an inch smaller on the wheels drops it a fair bit lol, think i'm gonna have to raise it abit as thats not gonna get over speed bumps let alone my drive way lol, looks sweeeeet though :approve:

Also got my coupler for the airbox, still brainstorming what to do but so far so good ;)

DSC05343.jpg

Now its getting cold proggress will be slowing down as i dont have a garage :(

James

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
But i'll get cold fingers sir burp :eek:

Burp, i will soon be annoying you on msn, air-con removal is sitting at the top of the list, main concern is how to make the aircon replacment breaket :S... search for a 172cup in a scrap yard maybe?