ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Dark Knight.... Progress Thread

tut.. skirts are pure carbon fibre bruvvv.... cough.

haha they dnt weigh that much, tbh i'll need the weight once the seats and wheels are different :D

DCi 100
Jord is selling grip tape for afew quid, wear an extra pair of socks if you really must, just get it out and rattle can the interior!

About time you got the skirts on aswell btw!

nomate, will have when i have them on how i like them, just testing them at the mo for scrapes and wear... give me a few days

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
looks good with the skirts, do they fit well or have you got to do abit of chopping to get them to fit and are they the same oens as the the 197 has? mr 'if its carbon it has to be real' ;)

whats that meant to mean?! just because they have a mild cf effect, can you even imagine the abuse they'd take, i fitted these for no other reason that they look mean as hell and lower the centre of the car ridiculously.

they arent easy to fit really and require cutting, i guarantee you'd fcuk it up. ;)

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
oh and the pic of the underneath of your car, you havent sheared the bolts off, they arnt bolts they are just like threaded sticks then the heat shield has holes in it that lines up with them then you just put a nut onto the threaded stick to hold it in place, if its rattling (like mine is) its because you are missing a nut to hold it in place

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
i have created a detailed graph with red.dot and pmsl performance below to illustrate the fluid dynamics vs the output of the Co ed boost. the vorticies created by the darwin sideskirts now gives me 2% more downforce than a 197 diffuser maintained on cam with the f4r output at 20% AFR=PS3xzomg whilst upside down .

But this isn't taking into account the themal variant of the aerodynamic dynamics, fluid and thermal dynamics suggest that as the air passes over the vehicle and creates the vorticies you speak of that they heat up, this then effects drag (increasing it) and negates negative pressure by a small amount. so by adding in the correct figure into the following formaula Vc/f4r-rs*fz+17.5% it tells you that these skirts drop the downforce from 2% above a 197 diffuser to 6.75% below on.

If you had put the skirts on the roof as I suggested you would have achieved the 2% above the 197 diffuser you were after, clearly looks were more important to you than actual aero gains. Next time think about thermal expansion and its effects on the vorticies.

Thanks

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
whats that meant to mean?! just because they have a mild cf effect, can you even imagine the abuse they'd take, i fitted these for no other reason that they look mean as hell and lower the centre of the car ridiculously.

they arent easy to fit really and require cutting, i guarantee you'd fcuk it up. ;)

i was only joking dr naith, and i wouldnt, im alot more skilled with that type of thing than people think! dont underestimate the brench lol

oh and the pic of the underneath of your car, you havent sheared the bolts off, they arnt bolts they are just like threaded sticks then the heat shield has holes in it that lines up with them then you just put a nut onto the threaded stick to hold it in place, if its rattling (like mine is) its because you are missing a nut to hold it in place

no its not, the thread is sheared, the bolts wont catch at all... they were bent as they are attached to the chassis so have taken a knock. a heavy impact or stress causes that.

heaven forbid i actually checked.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
no its not, the thread is sheared, the bolts wont catch at all... they were bent as they are attached to the chassis so have taken a knock. a heavy impact or stress causes that.

heaven forbid i actually checked.

they are quiet long though, could you not heat them up bend them back then rethread them, or cut them down to the bit were it starts to be threaded again?

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
just needs enough thread for the bolt to catch on, i tried to do mine yesterday but need to get it on a ramp on wednesday because i dont trust the renault jack lol

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
But this isn't taking into account the themal variant of the aerodynamic dynamics, fluid and thermal dynamics suggest that as the air passes over the vehicle and creates the vorticies you speak of that they heat up, this then effects drag (increasing it) and negates negative pressure by a small amount. so by adding in the correct figure into the following formaula Vc/f4r-rs*fz+17.5% it tells you that these skirts drop the downforce from 2% above a 197 diffuser to 6.75% below on.

If you had put the skirts on the roof as I suggested you would have achieved the 2% above the 197 diffuser you were after, clearly looks were more important to you than actual aero gains. Next time think about thermal expansion and its effects on the vorticies.

Thanks

LOL!

I thought BrianR was back for a second.

sorry rich, your idea was great and when i ran it through a CAD setup i found 844>/xf wasnt pushing the centifuge down to my specification... alas i have just spoken to eric boullier at renaultf1 and have some exciting developments.

IMG00614-20100327-1347.gif

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
sorry rich, your idea was great and when i ran it through a CAD setup i found 844>/xf wasnt pushing the centifuge down to my specification... alas i have just spoken to eric boullier at renaultf1 and have some exciting developments.

IMG00614-20100327-1347.gif

That's all well and good, but I'd like to point out that Eric was on the phone to me Saturday afternoon telling me how amazing all my work and calculations were on the new F duct, it made a huge amount of difference. Kubica loves it so much he said he'd dedicate the race to me if he got on the podium.

Oh and FYI 844>/xf is incorrect, its 844.182>/xf

well, settle down for a read. (forgive my lack of technical knowledge, I'm learning more as I write)

I was going to make a little thread about some nice little harnesses I bought ofF brown bear ready for some buckets when I'd saved for a month or so...

DSC_0187.jpg

but in true renaultsort style i took it to the next level...

I've never been 100% on the power output on the car, sure the torque brilliant and the cars light, sits well and corners like a good'un, to cure this I took a trip to RST again in leeds to see if the stage 2 could be given a little more poke... Paul mentioned to me the other week that the maps had been tweeked so he should be able to work around the issue with the engine not making power.

DSC_0015-1.jpg

whilst there i saw some amazing new goodies that he'll be putting out there soon, I was tempted but its simply not an option until i start to earn some more money... i've never been one to talk about power figures, I'm in the mind of rolls royce and prefer, chill, ample, b00st and Banzai! ;) but I'll give figures in here in the hope that is shows reality and could be of use to people in the future. Anyway..

after some messing about and finishing off some other cars i got on the dyno.

DSC_0004.jpg

the coilovers arent set 100% and the car needs the corner weighting sorting out again as on the dyno she was pulling all over, something I can live with as I knew it needed sorting out.

so onto the dyno...

DSC_0023.jpg

first run... the car makes stock, on a stage 2 map... Paul looks worried, I thought he was joking. he tweeks and plays and asks how old the sparks are, old enough is the answer, so he bungs some of his own in to check, this instantly raises the low end power but again the car hits stock. So at least the sparks need changing regardless of the little problem I was thinking, little did I know...

DSC_0030.jpg

then we move onto the cambelt, it hasn't been done in a while, I was shown receipts for it being done when I purchased the car and that was four years ago, it needs changing asap is the answer to which i agree and know i need to sort as it might be the timing thats out.

Exhaust issues and turbo failure are also ruled out.

Paul wanted to rule out other things so he attached a booster to the battery and did a compression test with Wade (Hughesclio) who happened to be there at the same time.

DSC_0059.jpg

cylinder 1: 130 psi
cylinder 2: 150+ psi
cylinder 3: 140 psi
cylinder 4: 70 psi

And there in lies the problem, the compression on cylinder four is low, as in LOWWW. thats why the car has never made the power a stage two would and has/is gradually losing power, the severity of this shown by the fact a stage2 map (one that has been tinkered with for ages) only gives the car stock power.

The car boosts at 1.3 bar and is still making over 30 ftlb torque so the turbo side of it is fine. Paul put the map up from his R26R and compared it to mine, the similarity between the maps was scary, they were exactly the same minus the fact mine was 55bhp down on his, but the curve, drop off and boost were identical.

The general consensus is that there might be a water ingress into the cylinder head, as the car is losing coolant slowly (dumping the tank at Oulton in January, but only slowly since) something to do with it creeping into the chamber through a gap. Also one spark was discoloured and paul was certain of water present, along with mild frothing in my coolant tank during all the checks (no idea what it means, but it means something bad). in pauls words... 'its fcuked naithhh' :(

I went to Leeds thinking I'd be in luck, came home with a bloodied nose.

I drove home feeling sick, its a weird feeling when you crash/cars broke/stolen, im still sat here feeling sorry for myself if im honest. Even now I'm lost as to what to do. I've put too much time and effort into the thing to just break it for parts and at the same time noway can I afford a new engine (even if more work comes in)

leaving Leeds gave me time to reflect...

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

As it stands the car will go to fred@btm on the friday before Renault world series to have new sparks, i know it wont make much difference but i'd rather the car struggle less before it has blows/gets a rebuild/new engine. (If you have any lying about in Dieppe RUK, look after a brother ;)) Luckily RWS is a show and shine event, otherwise I'd be gutted, I have the car visually looking better than ever so on that front I'm lucky, on every other one I'm not so lucky.. lol

After the show she'll be taken to BTM and endure a slow and painful strip of the heart. In my head I see it being the top of the engine coming off (which after seeing another meg engine this weekend is a bugger in itself) and the head gasket being changed along with the ring landings, cylinders (four is the problem) and all the internals will need looking at too. but due to cost it will be a long process, I have a decat lined up and the new RST uprated pistons will be sorted then too I hope (around the £600 mark) so the engine will be rebuilt strong and with the capacity, bar injectors (that arent working on megs properly still) and hybrid turbo, that can be added (if I have the time/ability/finance) to run more power.. During all this i'll run about in riads 172 which will be roadworthy very soon.

the other option is to wait till finances suit and buy a well priced second hand F4RT engine (preferably with an R26 diff on it) and swap them, adding a decat and playing with the turbo wheels. then she'll see a solid 290/300bhp and 330ftlb torque all day.

third option is to bin the car off...

so yeh, FML. but at the same time I want to say a MAHOOSIVE thanks to paul for spending alot of time outside of the service I'd payed for trying to fix the issue, the care and knowledge is top drawer and also as ever to BTM who have said I can keep the car there whilst the work is done.

as a friend said today, 'Phoenix from the flames Naith..'

have to see...

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Long live the king, hope u get it all sorted mate!!

If the unthinkable happens and you do end up breaking it you have my number about coilovers and exhaust ;)

Hope it gets sorted though as you still owe me a passenger ride lol

Lynden

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
bad times naith, :(

personally im of the school of thought of drive it till you kill it, but thats not really ideal lol,
hope you get it sorted, dont u dare give up on it

340i
Get it rebuilt... new HG, full service... oil, filters, plugs etc. stage 2 mapped and run a nice reliable 280 odd bhp?

yeh, i cant afford to give up on her, very lucky that i have good friends around me with advice and offers of help but theres no quick fix... you know me, always thinking, i'll do summit with her. thanks for the encouragement chaps/chapette x

BRB just off to pimp myself out and get the money for a forged build ;)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
ive already worked out a m5 engine will fit in the z4 should anything happen to the one thats in it lol

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It will live again, no doubt. I still think a replacement engine with fresh belts will be the best/cheapest/most reliable long term solution. Be nothing worse than spending a few hundred and the problem still being there.

Unlucky mate. Gutting.

Free PC cheer you up?

:approve: yayyyy.

this weekend? if your not buying carpets?

It will live again, no doubt. I still think a replacement engine with fresh belts will be the best/cheapest/most reliable long term solution. Be nothing worse than spending a few hundred and the problem still being there.

thats providing a cheap unit comes up, the crank, chamber and cons are apparently fine, turbos good too... but i'm still in limbo, might just drop an egg into it, oh wait...