ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Give me your tyres please

the only road they have seen is when i got towed from one workshop to the other...lol

when's this beast getting painted Neil?

not sure yet mate, will be doing some welding first on various bits and bobs, i am also considering a new boot floor.... got to make a decision on that, maybe within the next month or 2...lol

If you've been using the hole saw type, that would explain the frustration, if you get the type shown in the ebay link, first time you use it you'll wonder why you struggled with the other kind, honestly the difference is night and day. They have a small centre drill on them and you simply put it down where you want to drill and it does just that, wont slip or jump about, makes your life so much easier and they're the same price if not a bit cheaper than the hole saw type.

sounds like your talking about what i used, it has a tiny little point in the centre, i was struggling with even that as it moved a fair bit... hence why i have now bought an ordinary drill bit so i can make location points first.

Disc cutter, power file ftw.
Glad to see your getting back on with it, stick at it

yeah i thought about just grinding them down...lol

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
so another week has passed, i visited to work on the car again and tbh i am getting a little deflated, its mainly down to one thing but its just getting to me a fair bit on how the car is progressing extremely slowly, then when i think how much £££ is tied up in it the sensible part of me just thinks about cutting my losses whilst i still can....anyways,

the little thing that is getting me down a bit...f*cking spot welds,
i don't know if i am a complete r****d, am useless, i am having a complete nightmare with them. as i said i visited again yesterday (so now 2 days on it) and i still can't see the light at the end of the tunnel....
last weeks work...
IMG_1350.jpg

this weeks,
IMG_1351.jpg

i seem to have a fair few more drilled out but for the time it took it was a nightmare, the spot weld drill bits had previously made a mess so i had to work out someway of centralising them again, i managed to do this with most and drill through but trying to move the actual metal piece is a complete ballache.... i ended up just walking away again (with alot of the day left) otherwise i would have just got fed up / annoyed.... it'll get there in the end.... where-ever there will be...

because this is a bit of a pap update however i do have some pictures of something else that is currently awaiting paint in the same workshop.
datsun anyone?

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Don't be deflated 'boner...

Every time I think about the money I have tied up in my valver I die a little bit inside. If I told you, you'd also die a little bit as well I think! lol.

Just think though, if you didn't have the money tied up in that it would be in the bank doing what?? At least you've got a hobby and its not as if you're/we're doing it to make money.

I will never sell my clio so what happens to it or what it owes me is irrelavant. I'll still have it in 20 years time.

Prime example is my parents friends who own a mk2 (iirc) Concours Cortina 1600e. He reckons over the years he's spent about £60,000 on it but its worth about £6000 on a good day.

Hobbies are what make us cool.... :S

TrackCar & F30 330d
Ha, I was house shopping with the bird today, looking for a house WITH a garage for the Clio. The girlfriend said why dont I just sell the Clio and then we dont need a garage. My response was somewhat abusive!

As Mr Daniel said, hobbies are what make us cool! ;)

If you can't afford to finish it ATM then pop it on axle stands in your garage and come back to it later.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Don't be deflated 'boner...
Every time I think about the money I have tied up in my valver I die a little bit inside. If I told you, you'd also die a little bit as well I think! lol.
Just think though, if you didn't have the money tied up in that it would be in the bank doing what?? At least you've got a hobby and its not as if you're/we're doing it to make money.
I will never sell my clio so what happens to it or what it owes me is irrelavant. I'll still have it in 20 years time.
Prime example is my parents friends who own a mk2 (iirc) Concours Cortina 1600e. He reckons over the years he's spent about £60,000 on it but its worth about £6000 on a good day.
Hobbies are what make us cool.... :S

if i didn't have the money tied up in this i think it would go to something sensible like a house.... you ok you have one of those...lol
ultimately if i don't sell it during the build i would like to think i will end up hill climbing / sprinting the car, as you say alot of money has gone into it and i can't ever see myself getting that back so it would be a shame to sell...

Ha, I was house shopping with the bird today, looking for a house WITH a garage for the Clio. The girlfriend said why dont I just sell the Clio and then we dont need a garage. My response was somewhat abusive!
As Mr Daniel said, hobbies are what make us cool! ;)
If you can't afford to finish it ATM then pop it on axle stands in your garage and come back to it later.

funny that, when we moved my gf was one of the ones that told me to keep it as i needed something to do, shame the car is still away at the moment...
i am not particularly struggling with money though at the moment... hopefully some should be coming soon that i have specifically designated for the car, i think i just need to see it moving forward in a big leap in some way, the other thing is my timescale in my brain is now set on when the weather changes next year, which is kind of a disappointment... i just can't wait to drive it... however there is still alot that needs doing.

perhaps i need to tinkle with the dci...

If you can keep it then just stick at it, so it's slow going right now it's no big deal the car isn't going anywhere so just let the progress happen as and when it can.

Datsun stance looks great, just a pity about the wheels.

Evo 5 RS
If you sell it I'll poke your eyes out x

At least you haven't had to fork out to get a replacement engine! You'll have a cracking car there when it's done mate, don't lose faith

Qashcow
sell it, best thing i've done all year. no, actually dont because you will regret it whereas i havent. bigger and better things to come (well, smaller lol).

stick at it Nelly, those spot weld f*****s will be reduced to swarf in no time then it's full steam ahead x

Golf GTD Mk7
who knows whats to come... it hasn't been started for over a year... could be fubar'd but i would hope not

did you lube the bore up prior to removing it? hopefully there wont be much moisture in there. stick with it mate. Ignore Dave, he's obviously in denial ;)

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
That panel still giving you grief, by the looks of it you need to use a bigger spot cutter. The welds on that bit are at least 10mm diameter. The plate is quite thick (for a clio that is) so even if you miss small bits of spot weld, the top plate will not tear off as with other brackets else where on the car.
You should be able to see the outline of the weld, only thing i can suggest is to do what I did and use the spot drill to make 3 holes in a triangle patern, you may even need to put a 4th one in order to ensure you cut through all the weld. I didnt take any pictures while I was doing mine or i would post them up.
Only other way is to use a grinder and thin down the area round the spot weld and then chase it off with a chisel but this is definately the messy way and will take quite a while as you'll need to be careful you dont go right through and into the floor skin.

Good luck and keep at it, you'll get it.

Kenny.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
did you lube the bore up prior to removing it? hopefully there wont be much moisture in there. stick with it mate. Ignore Dave, he's obviously in denial ;)

the bore?

That panel still giving you grief, by the looks of it you need to use a bigger spot cutter. The welds on that bit are at least 10mm diameter. The plate is quite thick (for a clio that is) so even if you miss small bits of spot weld, the top plate will not tear off as with other brackets else where on the car.
You should be able to see the outline of the weld, only thing i can suggest is to do what I did and use the spot drill to make 3 holes in a triangle patern, you may even need to put a 4th one in order to ensure you cut through all the weld. I didnt take any pictures while I was doing mine or i would post them up.
Only other way is to use a grinder and thin down the area round the spot weld and then chase it off with a chisel but this is definately the messy way and will take quite a while as you'll need to be careful you dont go right through and into the floor skin.
Good luck and keep at it, you'll get it.
Kenny.

thanks for the advice, my mate has said he will get his minion on it this week...lol, it would be nice if that nightmare piece is gone when i get back to it, we will see

Massey6465 & saxo1.1
'Freebone' I remember when you turned up at that first ever meet ,2004. your 1.4 had flames printed all the way down the side or somthing? I demand that now appears here.

340i
'Freebone' I remember when you turned up at that first ever meet ,2004. your 1.4 had flames printed all the way down the side or somthing? I demand that now appears here.

hahaa... Didn't he have a big blonde stripe in his hair aswell?!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Lol at the way you kept this going tucks...

I was going to say about how i can no longer find this thread when i search for my threads, but perhaps thats just a sign i haven't been doing enough. I haven't seen the car probably about a month now. Had a few busy weekends and have also been pretty ill lately...

I am so tempted just to let it go free up some £££££ and time, but seeing soooo many others go that way i am a little reluctant, it either goes one way or the other - balls out completion or strip down and sell

Golf GTD Mk7
As with anything like this mate, your heart needs to be in it. You can always make more money though, don't strip the car for money, strip yourself ;)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Lol at the way you kept this going tucks...

I was going to say about how i can no longer find this thread when i search for my threads, but perhaps thats just a sign i haven't been doing enough. I haven't seen the car probably about a month now. Had a few busy weekends and have also been pretty ill lately...

I am so tempted just to let it go free up some £££££ and time, but seeing soooo many others go that way i am a little reluctant, it either goes one way or the other - balls out completion or strip down and sell

Your car was in Septembers fast car in the employees project thingy bit, take it was written well in advance?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Keep it going for another year, that's what I'm doing now so I'll hopefully be ready to do my 8 trackdays next year!

Also means we can do some trackdays together like newbees as I wont have driven my Clio for 18months lol

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Never knew you weren't 100% Neil, all the best dude x
Nah, me either mate. Wasson?

Not exactly been shouting about it, or even using the internet/fb,
I have a bit of a rare/weird illness, if you can be bothered google it - kleine-levin syndrome

Keep it going for another year, that's what I'm doing now so I'll hopefully be ready to do my 8 trackdays next year!
Also means we can do some trackdays together like newbees as I wont have driven my Clio for 18months lol

Its probably going to take me that long to get to the stage i want it at anyways....

Evo 5 RS
Not ideal dude, my old neighbour had this. All the best!

P.S don't sell up

and if you need a hand with the car at all just give us a shout I'm in your neck of the woods a lot next year

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Not ideal dude, my old neighbour had this. All the best!
P.S don't sell up
and if you need a hand with the car at all just give us a shout I'm in your neck of the woods a lot next year

Did you experience him much whilst he was in an episode? I guess he was young'ish?
As for next year, where you heading? We will have to sort meeting up, and if its ever easier there is always a free bed here mate..

That's a strange one Neil. Hopefully you can be sorted ASAP :D

Thank you very much mate

Evo 5 RS
My g/f is working / living in Bournemouth so I'll be there a lot too. He wasn't all that young mate must of been in his late 30s I'd imagine (I was very young though 13,14)

I remember he used to say things (to my mum especially) which you'd normally keep to yourself and he'd apologise for it later. Nice enough bloke 90% of the time

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
My g/f is working / living in Bournemouth so I'll be there a lot too. He wasn't all that young mate must of been in his late 30s I'd imagine (I was very young though 13,14)
I remember he used to say things (to my mum especially) which you'd normally keep to yourself and he'd apologise for it later. Nice enough bloke 90% of the time

Ah ok, so you'd prefer to stay there.... no thats fine!... that'll be the last time i offer... i understand..xxx
as for the neighbour, i am surprised at his age whilst having the illness, you sure he was 30? the reason i say that is because you are meant to grow out of the illness. especially by 30, however i understand not all cases will follow the same path. When you say about what he would say to your mum, do you mean in-appropriate or just kind of personal? luckily its something i don't suffer from however another characteristic of the illness for some is Hyper sexuality.

Evo 5 RS
lol thanks for the offer dude!

It was definitely the same illness mate, it was a long time ago like I say. He used to say personal things and also be in-appropriate yeah, but it's like it was split personality (not saying that's you ;) )

Anyway mate hope things get better for you.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
lol thanks for the offer dude!
It was definitely the same illness mate, it was a long time ago like I say. He used to say personal things and also be in-appropriate yeah, but it's like it was split personality (not saying that's you ;) )
Anyway mate hope things get better for you.

its deffo like a split personality, but i luckily don't suffer a few of the characteristics...
its still sticking around a bit but i am on the mend... cheers mate