ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The least original Iceberg 172 ever! (Plenty of pics)

Done!
1KtUbS8.jpg

Also, took the shims out of the brakes, still squealing. :(

If anyone has ideas on that front, I'm at a loss.

clio 172 phase 2
Mine squeal aswell pal ive tried everything possible ! Its far better now but still there just got to live with it . Because race car

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
For an engine performing that well, i'd be scared to spend any big money for being very disappointed with the gains!

An update, with pictures and whatnot. Nothing very exciting though...

On the rollers
KRT6HU1.jpg

Since fitting two new second hand calipers they of mostly different colours and levels of rust so I'm going to rectify that. Bonus washers blanks to be fitted as well.
d3yAa4V.jpg

My scarcely legal front tyre... and rear with a chunk missing.
8fApkXA.jpg
jKaJCu1.jpg

Took a punt on some Pirelli P Zero Nero XLs
tAWlIXI.jpg

nt75UWn.jpg

Not sold on these yet, the difference in road noise is incredible, they are whisper quiet. The grip in the dry seems good but not pushed them at all. Not sure if it's me, but seems like the sidewalls aren't as stiff as I'd like.

Also gave it a clean on Saturday.
0FcqDOO.jpg

Spilt Ribena?
PzEXpqk.jpg

New friends while the Iron X does it's thing.
KVp6lBh.jpg

BQMTj8v.jpg

A quick clay, followed by some wax (too boring to photograph)
LmTxuZo.jpg

This mornings dew.
68GPC5q.jpg

Which leaves this must-do list...
  1. Headlight washer delete - streamline carbon items are bought, ready to go on when I get a chance.
  2. CV gaiter on drivers side is split.
  3. Track rods and ends seized. Will need cutting off and replacing so that tracking can be completed.
And this 'to-do' list...
  1. Poly Bushes on the front end - maybe even the rear with the new Powerflex kit
  2. Pure Motorsports top mount and strut brace / Maybe AST
  3. Steering wheel re-trim
  4. New Clutch
  5. Induction change - Maybe an RS2, maybe just matched inlets, definitely a new filter set up.
  6. Remap to go with the above - 98ron with increased redline (hence ARP rod-bolts)
  7. Decent coil overs for more lows.
In no particular order.

5 and 6 likely to change, given my rolling road results I don't want to spend money on an engine which seems happy at the moment.

I would like to buy a cheap engine and rebuild it myself. Then when it's built swap it into this car... That's a long way off though.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Wow, just read all this and it's a lovely car mate, credit to you for what you've done. :)

Thanks for all the nice comments! Didn't expect such positive words when I started this thread.

Lovely. Would love to feel how it changes gear with a new shifter on it.

It's great. Don't expect the world, it's still a Renault gearbox, but there is so much play in the standard linkage and with the Stiff Shift 3.0 being able to choose how tight it is, feels right.

looks spot on fella! what do you think of the cook springs thinking of getting a set myself?

Do it. Transformed the way the car feels and IMO looks are perfect height wise. Having good tyres now actually makes me appreciate them even more.

Great work and nice choice of changes, very similar to mine :)

I adore your Trophy. If I had the money at the time I would have bought one myself and copied yours. Even got the idea from building the Yanoo kit into a second shifter before switching it from your thread, really glad I did that.

Really really like this car!
It might not be original but the mods of choice are for a reason. They work awesomely and suit the clio.

Stunner fair play mate

Indeed. :approve:

Big update - part one!

So I have much unused holiday at work and rather than letting it go to waste I took a week off to doll the car up a bit.

Day one was not a good start, it starting pissing it down as soon as I had the front bumper off. Note to self, always check the weather before working on the drive...
hkWnkOK.jpg

Moved the car into the garage and ripped out the front washer jets and pipework. Nothing interesting about that so step 1 was to modify the jets to become some shiny carbon blanks.
CUKIel6.jpg
V1ElAPN.jpg

Luckily, my dads MGB is mint, so theres plenty of this about to add some extra protection for the french steel.
67Qj284.jpg

I whipped out the struts and set about cleaning the tops up with a wire wool drill bit and some H80.
UDCbTmS.jpg
q6iSzbd.jpg
FZKTTni.jpg

As luck would have it, this little beauty turned up and was promptly fitted.
Lts0eeO.jpg
GizdXSo.jpg

A quick snap from this morning of engine bay with the PMS Top Mount & Strut brace kit. After driving this for a week, I have to say WOW, what a difference?! Even with the front end rapidly approaching 100k miles, the whole car feels so much tighter and twinned with the Whiteline ARB, the car has great turn in and neutral cornering ability! Plenty of new bits to add to this and bring everything back to the start.
SPRXjp2.jpg

Assessing the damage, a tiny hole in the outer CV boot and a cracked ABS ring, fortunately all on the same side!
r8JTR57.jpg

FqqhKhz.jpg

Cleaned up the hubs with the wire wool and on with the H80.
YFzUCK6.jpg

A shopping list was formed. Adam at Renault Wolverhampton sorted me out with a box of tricks, and then a second shortly after when I realised I needed more. New 'cup' wishbones including bushes and ball joints, track rods, track rod ends, steering rack bushes, bump stops/damper gaiters (mine were mostly in two pieces as seen above) CV boot kit and rear reg plate light. An ABS reluctor ring from eBay and no shown some Powerflex ARB bushes courtesy of Kam Racing.
GpFxROJ.jpg
XgJXaHh.jpg

Sadly most of this is beyond my mechanical ability/know-how so it's booked in with Stone&MWM in couple of weeks for all the bits to be fitted, tracked and MOT'd.

Nest up, the brakes. The replacement caliper, which had been installed after I ripped the bleed nipple off the original, had a horrible red paint job which was chipped and ruined. I set about cleaning them up with Nitro-Mors and the POR15 kit. If you've not used POR15 stuff before I'd recommend it thoroughly. Can be bought from http://www.frost.co.uk/ and really is better than any Halfords or Foliatec you'll get.
4IkmmLJ.jpg
5in8pDA.jpg
2LyhWOm.jpg

Not chronological but here are the results, excuse the dirty wheels!
GPqFPtV.jpg
AlRDtxj.jpg

While I was there I also put on my Mintex Caliper Squeal stickers and grease. I can confirm for anyone who finds 1144's too noisy that this stuff works! I no longer cringe when braking in town as the everyone stares at my squealing brakes! I got mine from eBay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINTEX-CE...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e77f2c903

Big update - part 2!

So like any 100k mile car, there are plenty of stone chips and my bonnet was one of the worse I've ever seen on a 172. Not helped by fact there is a nice bit of country lane near me which has a fair bit of loose gravel...

Spoke to Nick at DMC and he recommend Paints4U for some touch up kits. I'm always dubious when it comes to touch up but a professional recommendation put my mind at ease. I tested out the kit a while back and Paints4U's Gris Iceburg '640' was a perfect match.

Using Drive's touch up guide I was away...

Marked all the key offenders.
dW92HpE.jpg

Mixed my paint and laquer and also added a little thinner so the paint would flow into the chips better.
ihAcBH4.jpg

Sanded down the chips to remove the rust and give the primer something to bind to. A dob of wax to keep the surrounding paint clear and channel the touch up into the crack.
BE6Mqfp.jpg

A large mark on the roof was the worst part, I had to fill and sand this one a few times...
WtHv4E4.jpg

One of the larger chips on the bonnet was a also tricky to fill, it actually took 4 days too get this back to flat and blend it in.
iMjCm0D.jpg

I don't have any more photos of the touch up or of the fitted washer blanks, but up close the car is noticeably cleaner. I really wish I had a machine polisher though, there are still visible marks from the wet sanding that I've not been able to get out with my Meguires Scratch-X.

That's all for now. Here are some bonus photos, including my cousin's RX7 project and Eau Rouge from my trip to Spa for the GP back in August.

zJ6cnwl.jpg

yAwyWLU.jpg

Up to date to-do list:-

1. CV gaiter on drivers side is split - Booked in!
  2. ABS ring is cracked - Booked in!
  3. Track rods and ends seized. Will need cutting off and replacing so that tracking can be completed - Booked in!

The 'to-do' list is now the 'dream' list:-

1. Set of 15" for track duty
  2. Second car for daily driver
  3. Roll Cage
  4. Buckets & Harnesses
  5. Smaller steering wheel
  6. Whole new engine & gearbox rebuild

Really do want to have a go at a few track days. Something to look into next year.

Fed up. Car went for its MOT and failed. The o/s/r bearing is shot, wont come off with a blowtorch and removing it might damage the stub axle. That means new discs, bearing and hub axles. Front brakes also supposedly have an issue with sticking, despite my cleaning them up, cleaning and lubing the sliders etc.

Then, the oil leak is back and I've got two stories from respected traders telling me where it's coming from, could be the sump, which was resealed back in March and should still be warrantied, or it could be the crank seal which is a s**t load more bother.

I've not even had the new front suspension bits put on because of all this.

Bleh.

Clio mk3
Fed up. Car went for its MOT and failed. The o/s/r bearing is shot, wont come off with a blowtorch and removing it might damage the stub axle. That means new discs, bearing and hub axles. Front brakes also supposedly have an issue with sticking, despite my cleaning them up, cleaning and lubing the sliders etc.

Then, the oil leak is back and I've got two stories from respected traders telling me where it's coming from, could be the sump, which was resealed back in March and should still be warrantied, or it could be the crank seal which is a s**t load more bother.

I've not even had the new front suspension bits put on because of all this.

Bleh.
looks like a nice car! hope you get it sorted!

Gave the car a winter clean, pics aren't great, they are primarily for insurance purposes.
5ix9aDj.jpg

cBc5xg2.jpg

M3rzy3A.jpg

X6Ha3sE.jpg

ts324dd.jpg

And then a bit of a teaser, because these aren't installed yet and I'm waiting on a few more bits to come through...
iEQZAyV.jpg

dstMHqZ.jpg

Looks good mocked up!
Usgzjx6.jpg

Still need to get the oil leak sorted, but in the meanwhile I'm loving driving at the moment.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Looks smart, reminds me of mine. Once you'd built up the spare gear lever how simple/time consuming was it to swop them over? Much involved?

Looks smart, reminds me of mine. Once you'd built up the spare gear lever how simple/time consuming was it to swop them over? Much involved?

If you're lucky, the heat shield will come off easily, in which case it's an hours job tops. Mine did not so it was a couple of hours while I messed around trying to get them off.

On the 172 at least, it's much easier if you drop the exhaust and swing the cat out of the way.

It does make me want a PMS kit though...

Looks great. Turned a unloved 172 into a minter.

What a great read. Love an Iceberg 172 and what a job you have done to bring it back to life.

Thanks!