ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The least original Iceberg 172 ever! (Plenty of pics)

I'm fitting the studs today, just waiting for the studs to set and I'll post some pics and whatnot tomorrow.

Also super excited because I bought these...
kv8f9s2.jpg

Lovely seats. How much did they set you back?

Lots. They also came with Recaro side mounts and some Schroth 3 point harnesses which look unused, so that's a plus.

OOOooo what seats are those?

They are Recaro Pole Positions, which have been reupholstered in a dark grey canvas exterior and with 'Ultraviolet' cloth center, which is the pattern VW used on mk2 Golf GTI seats.

Picked them up not half an hour ago. Going to be a while before they are fitted though as I've not got any frames for them yet. Anyone know if I can bastardise my Clio rails to attach these?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Silly question but can you get tilting subframes for them?

Quite an update today, some of the biggest changes to the car yet! Also some of the worst photos but my phone is dying a death...

So, I set about planning for the installation of the Recaros and I spent a long time deciding what kind of subframes etc to use, but that will come later...

Before all that I decided if I was going to use buckets, the back seat would be redundant, so out they came!

vLJfLdO.jpg

And not wanting the increased noise and raw unfinished-ness of a full track car I set about building my false floor, from these two guides;
Muld
The Boosh!

Laying out the MDF
4nLw2qV.jpg

Mocking up the wadding and vinyl
sVnxpov.jpg

Pull tight and staple, turn to opposite side, rinse, repeat.
ipdxoDb.jpg

Flip it over and add some audio underlay to dampen the sound a little and give it some insulation.
iZtAwwN.jpg

All fitted!
ODVWYJD.jpg

After much deliberation, I got in contact with @clio392 and spoke with him about his custom side mounts which attach to the original clio rails. I'd seen them in a group buy he tried to run before, here.

So they arrived very quickly and very nicely made, requiring me only to apply the final finish.
5PqKqZA.jpg

I was thinking about having them powder coated, but instead I was impatient and went over to Halfords for some of their finest matt black enamel paint. I sprayed them up during the week, no pictures of that, too boring.

This morning I got up nice and early, to take full advantage of the nice weather we were so long over due. It rained on and off all morning for 5 minutes at a time.

None the less, out came the seats.
Y7jnUYV.jpg

The new false floor made a great work bench!
NMHQWl9.jpg

Mounts went in.
2EXdBnJ.jpg

Seats all fitted and my £3.50 vinyl stickers went on the mounts!
kVDgAWd.jpg

All finished!
q7Paa7o.jpg

3Q6T2Wx.jpg

I went for a 30 min drive round my local lanes and holy s**t they are amazing. The driving position is perfect and everything seems so effortless now, even the gear stick feels like its in a better position, because you are that much lower.
It does however make me want a new steering wheel to replace my knackered bus wheel and a PMS shifter kit...

And that's it! No idea what's coming next. I'm about to move house, so probably will stay as it is 'til summer at least. I still have a tiny oil leak and still have all the front end suspension/steering bits to fit, sadly they will have to wait a little while...

Last edited:
Thankfully not, haha, that's my atrocious phone at work. Previous owner had them in a Golf GTi mk2, so they are grey exteriors and have the 'ultraviolet' material on the padding.

Clio
debussetti glad you are happy with the seat mounts which you purchased from myself. Having driven the car for a year with the standard recaro brackets and then fitted the custom made brackets the difference in driving position is incredible. For anyone with pole positions fitted to their Clio it is an absolute must. I hope you agree with me pal and I hope you enjoy driving your car even more than ever now :)

Trip to Ikea today, makes me think a proper van conversion would be a laugh.
IpoUqif.jpg

Also makes me think now the back is stripped, the Cooksport springs are too high... aaaannd now I want some coilovers.
J9nlTbL.jpg

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Officially a freak engine?
Xf0LK5J.jpg

Makes me excited for what is coming up next...

I didn't know this. That's why it feels so bloody fast then.

There's loads of stuff in this thread I didn't realise you'd done. Steering wheel next I think. It's the least original, but also probably the harshest riding 172 ever :rasp:

Took the car down to Dan@SJM today who very kindly fitted all the front end goodies I bought last November!
New wishbones with Powerflex Black Series bushes
Track Rods + Ends
Powerflex ARB bushes
OEM steering rack bushes
New O/S/F ABS reluctor ring
Bump stop/dust covers
GpFxROJ.jpg

Drove so well on the 105 mile trip home. Should be able to get some pics of the underside next time the cars on stands.

Hopefully a few more bits on the way next month.

I didn't know this. That's why it feels so bloody fast then.

There's loads of stuff in this thread I didn't realise you'd done. Steering wheel next I think. It's the least original, but also probably the harshest riding 172 ever :rasp:

It did only get 170bhp last time I was there, but it seems strong enough. *touch wood*

Steering wheel will probably be next, just don't know which, CBA with a Snappy a lovely as they are, the standard wheel is just too big. Long way from the harshest riding 172, if anything it feels better with the new bushes up front.

So the steering wheel was a wreck...
zfm1YKn.jpg
snlzhW0.jpg
6HsmHIw.jpg

So that went.
8dCes86.jpg

And I got non-bus sized OMP.
67oKMQa.jpg

One issue however, not sure if I've buggered something but the ABS light and service light are on (airbag too, but resistors are in the post and I couldn't wait). I've read about issues caused by the squib being out of line, but I've also seen people mention the OMP bosses don't work properly on ph2? Easy enough to get the airbag cables through the boss, but not sure it's sorting the steering position.

A quick update, nothing major.

A while back I bought a rear strut brace. Because I could. A lot of people say they don't do anything, I beg to differ.
mEejc66.jpg

I use it to hold my shopping in place so when I hoof it back home with my chilled goods they don't go everywhere.

Next up, I realised my mistake and bought the Momo boss I should have bought in the first place.
joInmhY.jpg

But at the same time I had a tantrum and ripped the airbag connectors off the squib and now get a clicking when steering. Wheel also won't sit straight when driving straight, although I'm sure that's me not putting the wheel on straight...

The exterior lights always annoyed me, big silly orange bulbs in the indicators and s**tty 90s yellow side lights. Switched for some Osram Diadem indicators and Cree LED Sidelights, which look the business.
gPrrWmF.jpg
A3admnh.jpg

Then I washed my car for the first time in 4 months and fit a new Skoda splitter. No pics, too boring.

Sunday, I headed to Newbury for Tim.'s meet for a little raz around.

I was right behind Christopher.'s car when he went air born. It was a sight to behold. Alas, when it dropped it's oil, it mainly covered the back end of his and the front of mine, so so glad I cleaned it. I'll admit I too was a little over committed and ripped off the brand new splitter I'd put on days before.
Ed.200 took some pics which don't really show how dirty it is, now every bit of dirt is stuck to the oil.

14752620921_46a44c8dfb_c.jpg

14775661383_21963b045a_c.jpg

I also managed to pic up a stone from the car in front, which resulted in a 1 cm crack just off to the side of the windscreen. Pretty gutted as it was a new screen at the end of last year.
A minor casualty compared to the Chris' PB but when driving down to the shops it took offense to something, and now looks like this;
gVVv42Y.jpg

Gutted. New windscreen time again, because that's an MOT fail.

I'm quite poor at the moment, but I've got the urge for coil overs in the next few months.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
What's the cost? I assume it was just the insurance excess?

My screen is original (I think) and it's not in good shape. Is it wrong that I want to change it?

Part value is ~£450 + VAT, but yeah, insurance excess is £75.

They repair chips and some cracks, but this was too big it was beyond repair, second time in a year or so...

Not wrong at all in my opinion, I was actually quite glad to get a new screen. Fresh screen with not a smear or blemish in sight, a nice new coat of Rain X... Very satisfying.

Today, I took out the Yanoo shift, and rebuilt it on to a Scenic gear shifter. It was dark, so no pics yet, but it's ace.
I also tidied up the heat shield I butchered last time I took it out and replaced the mid exhaust hanger which was sagging.

This will be the first half of this particular update, the rest will be in the new year.
This was familiar, except much easier to paint and clean while they are off the car...
e90UGzQ.jpg

4zbs0HU.jpg

I with at them with a wirewheel on a drill to get the muck off. 5 litre cans of brake/clutch cleaner seems to be getting harder to get a hold of, I stumped up for 5 litres of quote/unquote "Jizer"
iobbwJp.jpg

It works surprisingly well, so I masked them up ready for some paint.
B56UwxI.jpg

And on with the Hydrate 80, best stuff ever. Hammerite can suck it.
y6sgPTu.jpg

Although saying that, the finish on Hammerite is nicer, so they got a coat of that too. Also featured are some new bearings.
VbOpaE2.jpg

They will shortly be going off to @NorthloopCup to be modified as part of the forthcoming roll centre group buy.

And of course some springs, fresh from Germany.
l0KmNQR.jpg

Iq0Th4C.jpg

And bonus cat!
0rMA74H.jpg

Made myself a new gaiter.
First I picked apart the old one.
QHuSf6o.jpg

I then used each side as a template and elongated it to fit the Scenic shifter.
iyHceOd.jpg

Then I employed the help of someone with a sewing machine to sew the two sides together... Cue Alix
kqWZVxr.jpg

Then I re-attached the plastic rim and fitted it back in place!
a2GEBxp.jpg

Great thread. Just read all of it and admired your progress over the last year or so. Nice to see you have stuck with it and have a great car to show for it. Shame about the windscreen and splitter.