ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nice car mate seen you the other day when you give it some going up tha duals by bryn meadows sounded lovely
:eek: Who? Me? LOL!

Thanks for the comment mate. I must admit that I've only heard my exhaust once from outside the car (and I did love it!) My hat goes off to Charlie at ProSpeed; he did the Trophy and myself proud with that system.

Mind you, I've just got in from a short (300 mile) drive around South and Mid-Wales and with the weather being warm I simply had to have the windows down... No need for a stereo!

Cheers!

Rb 182 ff
yer i was in a white mercedes sprinter at the roundabout always have liked the trophys. Just sold my 206 gti 180 was thinking of getting one.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
yer i was in a white mercedes sprinter at the roundabout always have liked the trophys. Just sold my 206 gti 180 was thinking of getting one.
Definitely worth considering mate - they really are great cars. They're ideal for the roads that we have in and around Wales; proper B-road warriors in their own way. They're also fairly handy for the odd track day here and there, too.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
March 2011
Blimey - it's been a while since I last updated this thread so I thought I'd give a brief update on what's been happening. To cut a long story short, it's all been a bit quiet so if you're easily bored or have other things to do I recommend clicking away now. :smile:

I'm happy to report that the Trophy is still in my possession and being driven as the God of RenaultSport intended as well as being a reliable daily driver. Even after several years of ownership I'm still loving this car and enjoying the way it drives. Despite having had a couple of folks interested in it I have zero intentions of getting rid - she's a keeper. Period.

As alluded to above, not much has happened in the way of upgrades or modifications recently but the Trophy did get a little bit of TLC this weekend gone. She was looking a bit dirty so I thought I'd spread a bit of soapy goodness across her. I didn't go mad (planning to detail it in the near future) so I just went with the foam, two buckets (Gold Class shampers), dry, polish and wax (Dodo Juice). She came up quite nicely to be fair. Below are a few pictures, including my latest mod - the new house! That's been sapping the car fund to be fair.

IMG_0752.gif

IMG_0756.gif

IMG_0754.gif

Obviously I did the only sensible thing afterwards - I took her up and around the Brecon Beacons and dirtied her up some. It had to be done.

The bad news is that it appears though my CV boot has gone lickety split... again! Gunk and grease all over the place *sigh* Plus I need to get two new tyres. This is a problem because I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get hold of Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's. In fact, I've been using the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's recently and found them to be rather good (although sadly a little more expensive than the PE2's). The good news is that the Trophy is off for a few tweaks in a week or so... and hopefully a bit of interior updating later down the line (as in sprucing/freshening up the Recaro's, fixing some scuffs, that sort of thing).

Last edited:
  Trophy #382
Your making me feel guilty! Need to get the polish out on my T me thinks...

Looks great!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the kind comments and feedback. With the red paintwork of the Trophy I have concerns about oxidisation and the resulting 'turning pink' colour. However, it's not actually too bad (especially as I now have a garage to keep it out the sun) but I've found that the door handles and wing mirrors are already well on their way to becoming pink. I might have to look to get these resprayed or replaced soon as it's becoming noticeable on closer inspection.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
The Trophy that made me want to get one :eek:

Looks lovely mate!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A lovely example!

I'd have a plain front plate.....but yours pulls it off.

Very nice.

Thanks mate - glad you like it. Hopefully I'll have a few more pics and will provide a fuller story in the coming days.

Very nice, how are the ITBs?

I have one or two little things I need to get sorted to be completely happy mate. And the sound... I know everyone keeps going on about it... but they do sound fabulous.

Love it Andy.

Who did the ITB conversion?
And are you going to Castle Combe performance action day on the 9th of April?

Cheers mate - and yes, I will be at Combe for the Action Day. I'll no doubt see you and speak to you there! As for the ITB's - I'm running the K-Tec DTH ITB kit and, fair play, a nice kit it is too. As noted above there are just a couple of things I want to get sorted and then I'll give my views and a fuller story on them.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
It'll be nice to see some videos once your happy with it:approve:

Definitely mate - I'm hoping for some decent weather next weekend so I can go out and get some video / audio footage. I need to sweet-talk my mate into letting me borrow his digicam and Go-Pro too... LOL!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate - and yes, I will be at Combe for the Action Day. I'll no doubt see you and speak to you there! As for the ITB's - I'm running the K-Tec DTH ITB kit and, fair play, a nice kit it is too. As noted above there are just a couple of things I want to get sorted and then I'll give my views and a fuller story on them.

Nice one. I'll see you at Combe mate.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Awesome, an ITB'd Trophy. Was wondering if you were going to take the plunge and get a few more horses under the bonnet.

Have been running ITB's since January, and am loving them.

What's the news with the interior repairs/ refresh Andy?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome, an ITB'd Trophy. Was wondering if you were going to take the plunge and get a few more horses under the bonnet.

Have been running ITB's since January, and am loving them.

What's the news with the interior repairs/ refresh Andy?

Awesome mate - I'd completely missed that you were running ITB's. Glad to hear you're loving them though!

I thought that the chassis could handle a few more horses and torques comfortably so, yeah, decided to keep it NA and go with the ITB's. I have a few other bits and pieces planned but the bank account needs a month or two to recover! LOL!

With respect to the interior repairs and refresh, they have been put on hold temporarily due to a couple of things cropping up that I cannot ignore. It will still be done but might take longer than planned. I am over Cambridgeshire way on Monday so I might actually call in to see the interior guy in Rugby on my way past. It would be good to have a chat with him face to face, see what he can do and/or recommends and possibly get a rough quote for the work.

Awesome car gets awesome-er :D

What ecu have you gone for?

Thanks fella - I have gone with the GEN90 ECU.

very very nice trophy!

on a side note, are your aerocatches not fitted upside down?

Cheers h3ppy. I am happy to report that the Aerocatches are fitted the right way around (if all the other cars I've seen them on are anything to go by!!!)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
March 2011 (Uh-oh update...)
As some folks (or those who read my previous few posts) know I recently had ITB's fitted to my Trophy. It was something I had wanted to do for some time but - obviously - it took some scrimping and saving to finally pull together the pennies to get it done. I had actually thought about going down the supercharger route but, for various reasons, I decided not to - primarily because I wanted to keep the Trophy as a "Trophy" and retain the NA characteristics of the engine (plus I could not justify the additional step-up in cost). Hence, ITB's were the way to go; especially given the sort of driving I enjoy with Rebel Motorsport Club and the various events and drives I'm involved with throughout the year (not to forget the spur-of-the-moment weekend blast now and again).

But before I embark on the rest of this story and bring things up to date, I need to go back some three and a half years to the point at which I purchased the Trophy. It likely has significance on the events of recent days...

I purchased this wonderful car back in August 2007 and it was in fantastic condition. The only two negatives were that a) the brakes were knackered as the car had been stood for a while and b) the engine bay had a very ill-fitting Hillpower induction kit fitted (which had been somewhat cannibalised to fit, although the rest of the engine appeared mechanically sound). A test drive was taken and the car was purchased - no real issues whatsoever. The brakes were replaced (new pads and discs) and the Hillpower kit was removed and the standard airbox and setup reinstalled. This actually resulted in a mild performance increase (which did not surprise me given the state of the Hillpower "bits".

Despite the relatively good performance of the car (I'm talking engine performance rather than handling characteristics) it was not quite there. In all truth I didn't notice this as I had never driven a Clio Sport 172/182 before and was simply enjoying it as it was. However, a good friend of mine (Lyn/Salem) took the car for a spin - on quite a few occasions - and realised it wasn't perhaps quite as it should be. She had good experience of the Clio Sport 172/182/Trophy range to this point and I valued her thoughts on this so, naturally, was somewhat dismayed to hear that it wasn't quite living up to the performance of other stock Clio Sport's out there. It wasn't bad but she mentioned it didn't pull like she expected it to; nor did it have the urgency she expected when burying the loud pedal. A little further down the line this was confirmed by another good friend of mine (Lyn's father) who also knows his Renault's and engines (having worked in motorsports as both a mechanic and race driver in his earlier years). He also commented how lethargic it felt in comparison to the cars he had driven. Again I was a little disappointed but I couldn't be too upset as very often it would embarass far superior cars despite not perhaps being quite at the level it should be.

Over the next three and a half years I steadily modified the Trophy to get it to where it is today and can honestly say that I have enjoyed each and every mile in it... even if it hasn't perhaps lived up to the performance levels that it should. I had no complaints, no serious problems and the car is probably far more capable than I'll ever be. It's been lovingly looked after and will be in my garage permanently as a keeper. With that in mind, it brings us right back to today and the decision I made to go down the ITB route...

Having had experience of the K-Tec Racing DTH ITB kit on a friend's Clio Sport 172 (and the fact he'd been running it for some time with no problems) I decided to contact them and arrange to get the work done. I had previously been to K-Tec Racing for other work and could not fault their courtesy, customer service and for generally keeping me up-to-date on how things were progressing. They took my car in on the 12th March and kindly loaned me their 172 for the week whilst the work was carried out.

20110319_ktritb_montage.png

It was with a fair amount of excitement I returned on March 19th to pick her up! After exchanging pleasantries and settling the bill I was given a rundown on the work carried out and the difference I would need to be aware of compared to the stock F4R engined Trophy. No major issues there and so I took receipt of the dyno plots. Being a fairly level-headed sort of guy (old!) I had fully realistic expectations of the sorts of gains I was likely to get from the ITB's but was still surprised at the relatively low figures I was seeing. I was told that the K-Tec Racing dyno setup was very conservative but still remained a little disappointed (although the sound made me feel a bit better!) In all honesty the gains shown were healthy and I was assured that they couldn't feasibly squeeze anymore out of it; just my personal disappointment souring things a little. As I drove away I wasn't unhappy at all; it sounded beautiful, the throttle response was instant and the performance markedly improved. By the time I was home I was grinning from ear-to-ear and about 65 quids worth of V-Power lighter in the wallet. My disappointment had all but vanished.

20110319_ktritb01.jpg

20110319_ktritb02.jpg

20110319_ktritb03.jpg

20110319_ktritb04.jpg

20110319_ktritb05.jpg

Last Thursday I went with my club for an exclusive trackday at Llandow (sadly I wasn't running) and was showing-off the new shiny bits I now had on the Trophy. I had some great feedback and positive comments but the issue of the somewhat low results cropped up again. Something wasn't quite right. The car was running fine and better than ever before but still that result bugged me... and the comments that Lyn and her father made those three and a half years ago came back to haunt me!

As it turned out I was contacted by a good friend of mine (who shall remain nameless but nonetheless receives my thanks and gratitude) who has experience of ITB's and the related gubbins and we chatted at length about the setup, the potential issues and how I might look to resolve any problems that may exist. After a day or two of chatting, hypothesising and generally chewing the fat I decided to take a roadtrip to see Matt at Tour-De-Force in Cambridgeshire. It was a fair trek from sunny South Wales but I spoke to TDF on the phone and they very kindly got me straight in yesterday (28th March) to take a look at what was going on. Considering how busy Matt and the team are (with the race season kicking off big time) I was chuffed they could fit me in and naturally I'm very grateful.

tdf.png

I left the keys to the Trophy with Matt whilst my partner and I took off for a few hours in Matt's 172 Cup... which was nice... and the smoothest Clio I've ever driven :)

Returning several hours later I was greeted by Matt and he kindly took the time to explain what he'd done and the things he had found whilst looking for potential problems with the engine. He had both good news and bad news; the good news was that the car was not in danger of exploding (phew!) but the bad news was that there was indeed an issue with power loss. At this point he then proceeded to show me the results of the compression test... ah bugger. That immediately answered the question as to why the Trophy never felt "quite there" and is likely the reason it's felt that way since I bought it! (Yeah, I'm kinda embarrassed I didn't think of it but I'm no techy when it comes to engines I'm afraid...) It also explained why I got a figure in the 150's when the Trophy was put on the dyno at K-Tec in the first instance. Cylinders 1 and 3 are ok but cylinder 2 is not well and cylinder 4 is not well at all. Despite the compression issue Matt made a minor tweak to the map that improved the cold start situation somewhat.

In terms of the ITB's I can't complain as they appear to very well built and put together. However, I have my concerns over the choice of filter. As well as the bad news upon my return to TDF I was also greeted by trumpets full of disintegrating foam and Matt had kindly taken the time to clean everything up for me. This was frustrating given that they had only been on the car for 9 days. Sadly, the foam components also don't hold up higher in the rev range and the filter gets sucked right up against the trumpets. Below you can see the extent of the problem:

20110328_dirty01.jpg

20110328_dirty02.jpg

(Thanks to Matt for the photos).

Despite the above issue my early impressions of the K-Tec DTH ITB's are very good. The filter is being replaced next week with an ITG sock and a custom-made back plate to prevent the trumpets becoming fouled.

The good news and the bad news remain however (albeit in a different context). The good news is that Matt has kindly been able to squeeze me in on the 7th and 8th of April to get it fixed. The bad news is that it's an unexpected and hefty blow to an already lightened wallet! As I am often reminded that "you only live once and you can't take it with you" I have bitten the bullet and decided to go ahead with the following, courtesy of TDF:
  • Valve seats recut
  • Acid dip
  • Skim
  • Cylinder head pressure test
  • Full cambelt replacement along with all fasteners
  • New ITG filter with custom-made backplate
  • Dyno and remap to suit the now-health Trophy :)
I look forward to Matt doing his thing on the soon-to-be-healthy Trophy and driving a car back to Wales with some noticeable improvement in performance. I am genuinely excited!

A big thanks to K-Tec for supplying and fitting their ITB kit, to TDF for their time and expertise in checking the map and the diagnostic/compression testing, etc. (and the forthcoming work) and to my mate who I chewed the fat with in terms of where to go and what to do once I'd decided to go down the ITB route. A special thanks to my partner, too, who had to put up with my moaning and general grumpiness once I'd found out what the problem was and also for keeping me company throughout the day.

Thanks to you, too, if you've had the patience to read through this... I salute you!

Last edited:

Cro

Meg'd r27
At least its getting sorted dude, nightmare about having to fork out though! Did Matt say what the issue was or is he going to find out when it's going in?

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Ah s**t, that sucks Andy. Always something with these cars. My newly replaced PAS pump isn't sounding too healthy at the mo.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Oh dear k-tec love selling dodgy ITB air filters dont they! Not very good at all!

Hope it's all back up and running healthy asap!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
At least its getting sorted dude, nightmare about having to fork out though! Did Matt say what the issue was or is he going to find out when it's going in?

Exactly mate - good to know the Trophy will be as good as new within a week or two. As for the issue itself, it looks like the valves and/or the valve seating is the problem. From the results (I'm no expert on these I'm afraid) it looks like I'm some 6-7 bar down on cylinder pressure. My hat goes off to Matt - for a busy guy he kindly took the time and effort to explain things through and that counts for an awful lot in my book. :cool:

What a nightmare Andy. It'll be a weapon once all sorted though :cool:

I know mate - but it makes life interesting! LOL! As the Trophy is a definite keeper I don't mind spending a bit now and again to keep her in the best shape possible. It's just the fact it's all come in one chunk that's a pain in the ass (well, wallet!) I really can't wait to get it fixed and pick it up now. I'm pretty chuffed with the performance as it is so... roll on the 7th and 8th of April! It'll be cool to see you at Combe mate. I know I've not posted much on here recently but I've been following your project thread for a while and generally trying to keep up with things (although I missed the fact that a certain "Owen 182" had got ITB's fitted...)

Ah s**t, that sucks Andy. Always something with these cars. My newly replaced PAS pump isn't sounding too healthy at the mo.

On the whole I think I've been pretty lucky to be fair (certainly compared to the misfortunes of some that I read about on here). I have my fingers crossed that there is no serious issue with the pump and that it is indeed simply a minor hiccup... Out of interest, do you use yours as a daily driver?

Oh dear k-tec love selling dodgy ITB air filters dont they! Not very good at all!

Hope it's all back up and running healthy asap!

Thanks fella. :D It seems a shame that such a relatively simple (yet vital) part of the system is compromised in this way, especially as I really cannot fault any other part of the setup. (Enjoying your project thread by the way...) :cool:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm so jealous!!!
What bhp is it runnig now?

It's hard to say at the moment as the figures are well out due to the compression issue. I think I may well have accidentally left the dyno plots at TDF as I don't have them to hand but I recall pulling an initial 159 horsies on the K-Tec rollers so there's a fair chunk of performance gain to be had I reckon... Once everything is done I'll post up the figures and results (and anything else that might be of interest).

Gutted to hear of your issues mate, but atleast it'll be in good hands at TDF :)

Cheers mate. I have no doubt whatsoever that it's in good hands at TDF. On the subject of reputable folk I didn't realise Fred at BTM was actually not all that far away... might have to start hassling him in the future! LOL!

Evo 5 RS
159 atf? Nice write up and piccys as always. A lot of filters do fake like this btw, even the bigger dome ones. Shame about your compression issues..Matt tells you how it is! You're in good hands.

I have an engine ready for BTM to fit and TDF to re-map after going down a similar road to yourself, bit of a bollock ache! Hope all goes well.