ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Great read Andy and it's good to see that you can maintain a mint car and enjoy driving it. We must compare engine bays next time we meet up. Just need to polish the plenum and fuel rail guard.

Reminds me that I must put my carbon strut brace back in the boot. lol

Last edited:
  ibiza cupra
love this mate. lovely example you have. oh and do you want to swap missis with me, i want and rs tuner and some coiles for xmas but dont think my missis is going to get me some.

Clio II 1,5 dci
Looking good
c029.gif

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the continued feedback all. I'm glad you are liking it so far and fingers crossed there will be plenty more to come in the future.

Great read Andy and it's good to see that you can maintain a mint car and enjoy driving it. We must compare engine bays next time we meet up. Just need to polish the plenum and fuel rail guard.

Reminds me that I must put my carbon strut brace back in the boot. lol
No - let's not compare engine bays because mine is stinking at the moment!! :confused:

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A bit of an update...

November 2009
Without a doubt the Trophy has been driving (and pulling) better than it has ever done before and I can only put that down to the new exhaust. Even better is the fact that it seems to be noticeable across pretty much the entire rev range... a fact that was clearly in evidence following our recent Rolling Road day at PowerStation. Below is a picture of my Trophy on the rollers followed by the dyno plot (the dyno plot is overlayed with runs from previous occasions):

20091107_psdyno.jpg

20091107_dyno.gif

As can be seen in the dyno plot above there has been a slight increase in performance with each visit to PowerStation. The stronger/bolder colour lines are indicative of the recent run whereas the faded lines show the plots from two previous visits.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Are looking to keep and spend money on it mate. Ie itb'd route?

TrackCar & F30 330d
She's a strongen isnt she. I like how you have plotted the old line on the same graph, coooool.

Whats next on the to do list?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome car and write up mate. The Trophy seems to be going fro strength to strength.
Cheers Brett. Hopefully the Trophy can continue on in a similar trend for some time to come!

Are looking to keep and spend money on it mate. Ie itb'd route?
Yes gally, this car is a keeper and I am looking to develop it further. I was talking to my partner about ITB's and suchlike the other night and the more I think about it the more I'd like to do it. However, for the extra power it might be easier and as cheap to invest in a more powerful car rather than spend thousands on the Trophy... Of course, the Trophy would still be kept if a new car was bought. As I say, this one is a keeper. ;)

She's a strongen isnt she. I like how you have plotted the old line on the same graph, coooool.

Whats next on the to do list?
Cheers chrispy, thanks for the comments. I'm certainly more than happy with how she's driving. :cool: Next on the list? Well, I'm not totally sure yet but next year will very likely see AP Racing 4-pots and I'm also very serious about getting an LSD fitted (and a new clutch at the same time).

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A few people have asked for videos of the exhaust so here's the first one. It's a video from a recent run out that we did and - hopefully - it gives some idea as to the sound of the exhaust from within the cabin (although the sound quality is a little muffled and quiet). I didn't get the chance to give it the full beans as the roads were a bit too wet and greasy unfortunately.

I'll try and get some better examples externally when the storms have passed and the weather is better! :smiley:

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I did this a short while ago and my partner reminded me... it's one of the most important mod's you can make (to a Trophy at least) and it's a guaranteed extra 20 bhp... :tongueclosed:

Wiper Stalk with Intermittent Wiper Control
Quite some time ago I got a new wiper stalk for the Trophy. Why? Because the standard wiper stalk is crap and has no proper intermittent wiper control! This would mean that I was often stuck in a light shower of rain with the wipers going like crazy and no way of controlling the interval period between wipes... which, believe me, was very annoying. Anyways, with the weather being fair I decided that today would be the day that I finally got around to installing the stalk. Here's what I did...

Tools needed:
  • TORX T20 star screwdriver/bit
  • TORX T8 star screwdriver/bit
  • Flat head screwdriver - to help release a clip
stalk01.jpg

Step-by-step:

Start by popping open the bonnet and disconnecting the battery (remove the black terminal connection). Also give the steering wheel a quarter turn to the right as it will make things a little easier further down the line

There is an upper and lower cowl to be removed so start by popping off the smaller upper cowl. There are no screws so simply pop it off and you'll end up with something identical to the picture below.

stalk02.jpg

Before removing the lower cowl, the audio control stalk needs to be removed. Look inside the casing where the audio control stalk is housed and you will see a small clip assembly. This is labelled (1.) in the picture below. Take a flat head screwdriver and push this clip in firmly and slide out the stalk (2.) as pictured.

stalk03.jpg

Squeeze the small clips to disconnect the removed audio controller stalk from the wired block connector. The lower cowl can now be removed.

stalk04.jpg

Locate the 3 screws in the lower cowl and remove them using the T20 star bit / screwdriver. With the screws removed, pull the cowl away and put it aside.

stalk05.jpg

Remove the immobiliser antennae ring from the ignition switch; it simply slides off with very little effort (pictured below).

stalk06.jpg

Using the T8 star bit / screwdriver remove the 2 small screws that secure the wiper stalk.

stalk07.jpg

Disconnect the connector block from the outgoing wiper stalk (by squeezing the two clips at each end of the block and pulling) and slide the wiper stalk out from the housing.

stalk08.jpg

The job is halfway done - it's now simply a case of sliding in the new replacement wiper stalk and reversing all the steps.

Begin by sliding the new stalk into the housing and reconnecting the wired connector block. Secure in place with the two small screws. Replace the immobiliser antennae ring by sliding it back onto the ignition switch. Replace the lower cowl (remembering to feed the wired connector for the audio stalk through the relevant hole in the cowl) and secure with the 3 screws.

Reconnect the audio stalk wired connector and slide the audio stalk back into the housing; it will 'click' into place. Take the upper cowl and clip it back on. Finally, reconnect the battery and enjoy the new wiper stalk!

stalk09.jpg

:smile:

Last edited:
Cheers Brett. Hopefully the Trophy can continue on in a similar trend for some time to come!

Yes gally, this car is a keeper and I am looking to develop it further. I was talking to my partner about ITB's and suchlike the other night and the more I think about it the more I'd like to do it. However, for the extra power it might be easier and as cheap to invest in a more powerful car rather than spend thousands on the Trophy... Of course, the Trophy would still be kept if a new car was bought. As I say, this one is a keeper. ;)

Cheers chrispy, thanks for the comments. I'm certainly more than happy with how she's driving. :cool: Next on the list? Well, I'm not totally sure yet but next year will very likely see AP Racing 4-pots and I'm also very serious about getting an LSD fitted (and a new clutch at the same time).

AP 4 pots are overkill and overpriced IMHO I run the Jamsport 4 pot kit and PFC 97's and there great and I cannot fade them no matter how hard I try.

Unless your doing hillclimbs an LSD is a waste of money as the Trophy is pretty well setup and you'd be better off Mark Fishing the suspension or junking it and going for coilovers.

Just my opinions and each to there own.

:)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the continued comments. :D

AP 4 pots are overkill and overpriced IMHO I run the Jamsport 4 pot kit and PFC 97's and there great and I cannot fade them no matter how hard I try.
Cheers for the feedback Matt. Out of interest, have you driven a 1*2 fitted with the AP-Racing 4 pots? Based on past experience I know they are fantastic brake kits, they are a name I 'trust' and that's why I'm considering purchasing them. Being a bit of a 'cautious' driver I'd rather have brakes that are over-specced than merely just 'good for the job' :D

Unless your doing hillclimbs an LSD is a waste of money as the Trophy is pretty well setup and you'd be better off Mark Fishing the suspension or junking it and going for coilovers.
Hmmm, not sure about the LSD being a waste of money. Again (out of curiosity) have you had chance to throw an LSD-fitted 1*2 around some decent twisties or track? I think the LSD would be a good choice of mod to be honest. Having had an LSD fitted to another car it was astounding how much improved the handling and power-delivery actually was.

Given the types of road and driving my partner and I enjoy, along with the fact I like chasing her through Europe and over the Alpine passes (ooer), that LSD looks even more attractive in all truth.

Just my opinions and each to there own.

Amen to that - would be a boring place if we all had the same tastes and opinions. :D

Cheers for the continued comments. :D

Cheers for the feedback Matt. Out of interest, have you driven a 1*2 fitted with the AP-Racing 4 pots? Based on past experience I know they are fantastic brake kits, they are a name I 'trust' and that's why I'm considering purchasing them. Being a bit of a 'cautious' driver I'd rather have brakes that are over-specced than merely just 'good for the job' :D

Hmmm, not sure about the LSD being a waste of money. Again (out of curiosity) have you had chance to throw an LSD-fitted 1*2 around some decent twisties or track? I think the LSD would be a good choice of mod to be honest. Having had an LSD fitted to another car it was astounding how much improved the handling and power-delivery actually was.

Given the types of road and driving my partner and I enjoy, along with the fact I like chasing her through Europe and over the Alpine passes (ooer), that LSD looks even more attractive in all truth.

Amen to that - would be a boring place if we all had the same tastes and opinions. :D

Well with regard to the AP racing stuff I'm sure its lovely but I am personally not prepared to pay double what I paid for a name and after all its only a Clio.

However I have not tried that setup so I am happy to be proved wrong and the same thing with an LSD but as it was only 1 second a lap faster when fitted to a race car I'll save my money.

Maybe when I've driven the Ring or Mountain roads I wasn't trying hard enough but good luck mate and after all its only money.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Well with regard to the AP racing stuff I'm sure its lovely but I am personally not prepared to pay double what I paid for a name and after all its only a Clio.
Fair play mate - can't argue with that rationale. The main thing is you're happy with your setup and it serves you well for how you use and abuse (in a nice way) your car. I know what I'm like... I research stuff beforehand and then set my mind on something. If I then get something different I end up disappointed, bin the kit I've just bought and then end up buying what I had originally intended to buy in the first place. :eek:

However I have not tried that setup so I am happy to be proved wrong and the same thing with an LSD but as it was only 1 second a lap faster when fitted to a race car I'll save my money.
No no - not in it to prove or disprove anything Matt. :D I'm not a hardcore track racer... if I were I'd likely get coilies, etc. I'm more interested in the LSD for the improved driving experience rather than shaving sub-second times of my laps.

Maybe when I've driven the Ring or Mountain roads I wasn't trying hard enough but good luck mate and after all its only money.
Not doubting your efforts mate, I'm sure you had a blast (quite literally) and the setup you have was spot on for your tastes. As you say, horses for courses. Might as well enjoy the money as I can't take it with me. Or some such phrase.

Cheers for the suggestions/opinions all the same - all welcomed and noted. :D

S3, Polo
Lovely car and a great write up - will make a good resource, come sale time! :)

I'm not a hardcore track racer... if I were I'd likely get coilies, etc.

I was under the impression the Sachs units fitted to your car were track-oriented? :S

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the comments guys.

_Nero_ - I won't be selling it mate as this is a keeper. If/when the time comes to get a new car, the Trophy will still have pride of place in the garage! :smiley:

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
As far as brakes are concerned, 4pots are overkill imo. I've been on track twice with cars running 4pots. Neither had more stopping power than mine (uprated pads/discs/lines etc). And fade's not an issue for mine (now I've bled the brakes!).

End of the day it's a light car.

As far as brakes are concerned, 4pots are overkill imo. I've been on track twice with cars running 4pots. Neither had more stopping power than mine (uprated pads/discs/lines etc). And fade's not an issue for mine (now I've bled the brakes!).

Each to there own on this one mate as I am very happy with my 4 pots and they give far better feel for my personal tastes.

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
love this write up, i have a black gold cup and i think there is always something special about a limited edition model! this one is truly special. Great looking car, and hope u keep enjoying it and keeping it a mint as ever!!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah, it is a light car mate... but as Matt says, each to their own. ;) Besides, I also like the aesthetics of the AP Racing 4-pots!

love this write up, i have a black gold cup and i think there is always something special about a limited edition model! this one is truly special. Great looking car, and hope u keep enjoying it and keeping it a mint as ever!!

Cheers mate, and I totally agree. No worries about the enjoying it!

Beautiful car, excellent write up mate.

Keep up the good work :)

Cheers Mish, will be looking to keep this updated as the Trophy evolves throughout next year.

looks superb and a great write-up, would like to get mine somewhere close to that level of perfection but I doubt I will ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Another minor update (with the T on the eve of it's 60k birthday service...)

February 2010
Another item for the Trophy and I braved the freezing weather to fit it earlier today. It's a new and improved footrest. Between you and me, this little addition adds approximately 25bhp in terms of additional power output. Sssh, don't tell everyone otherwise every man and his dog will be after one... Joking aside, this really sets the driver's footwell off nicely. The standard Renault item (i.e. a black rubber-topped footrest) didn't really cut it and looked a bit cheap. However, the addition of this new footrest remedies that and, as you can see, looks much better.

20100213_allfrest02.jpg

As well as the new footrest I fitted yesterday, I also bought a new stereo/headunit to replace the Alpine unit. It's a Kenwood system that is i-Pod, i-Phone and Bluetooth compatible. It also rather handily accepts USB devices so simply plug in a USB stick full of music tracks and away you go. I'm not really into big ICE installs and subs so this headunit should see me good for quite some time. As long as I can tune into my favourite radio stations, play MP3's and CD's, and plug in USB sticks - I'm happy. Now, where did I put my Duran Duran album?

20100214_headunit01.jpg

I just need to read the instructions now to figure out how it works!

Last edited: