ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new TV thread

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I kinda agree, which is why I went with Richer Sounds. But Currys offer 5 years now for free on a lot of high end sets and there is some history of Currys letting people claim for screen burn which every other warranty 100% won't cover with the exception of the accidental option offered by John Lewis.

It's swings and roundabouts, in my experience all the warranties sub contract the work out to the same moronic TV repair companies that have existed since the 1960s and don't appreciate the complex architecture of modern TVs

Fair enough, I didn’t notice that when I first looked at the ad they now provided cover, as they have been useless for us in the past. I must say the screenburn cover is a nice addition though.

I’d still buy from the other retailers but that’s just my personal preference.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with the point above, I bought a Sony Bravia from Curry’s and stupidly didn’t check what warranty came with it and 18 months later it was broke and they didn’t give two hoots. The repair cost was half the price of the TV so I just bought a newer model with a free 6 year guarantee from Richer Sounds.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Just realised (from reading avforums) that the thing that pops up saying Instant Game Response when I start a game on the Series X is VRR flicking on.. glad to see it works :ROFLMAO:

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
It comes with a 5 year warranty at Currys, how come you’re cancelling?
I think you gotta pay for it as per the bit on the right no??

They also lied on their delivery date, said it would be Sunday which is what I chose and they say nah Wednesday so that left a bitter taste in my mouth too.

Got it from richer sounds with 6 year warranty included

Screenshot_20201111_190807_com.android.chrome.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Just on the phone to curry's to cancel my order.

Thank you so much guys!
Wut?

The currys one comes with a 5 year warranty still for the LG 😂

Richer sounds are awesome though, and always better to support them than Currys!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
An example, how utterly ridiculous would my tv look above the fire...

577CBC3E-87A7-4023-BF77-D2FA19F15867.jpeg

it seems the trend is slowing though.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
The fireplace was traditionally the focal point of the lounge, this has been superseded now that TV’s are getting bigger & bigger.

Just lose the fireplace & put the TV in the centre of the room on a unit.

7ca965deabc274e2bee33c8107964f4c.jpg

Or go for a more modern low level fire with TV above.

db16af2b509805a4a5b953c7a240e278.jpg

My TV is in the corner of the room, if I decide to decorate the lounge I might look at centralising it.
Currently have Samsung 55” don’t think I would go any bigger as it would look stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Right. This it turning to be a pain in the arse. Max 50" because of the unit it's sitting on and the stand has to be a certain type so that discounts quite a few. Even with the narrow feet, the Sony one is mm's away from the edge of the unit (having it on an angle so others can see the TV)

Narrowed it down to two of them, both have their own issues 😒

(I'm aware this isn't 120hz with the smaller panel)

I'm edging to the LG.

Can get the LG for £50 cheaper at Costco with a 5 year warranty as apposed to 6 with Richer.

If there wasn't a PS5 coming out I'd not even be looking at them at the moment but my current one isn't even 4k.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
How bad is burn in? Or should I say the risk of burn in, I often send music to my receiver that fires up my TV and the Spotify logo is in the corner.

How long can I leave it on before I have the risk of it causing damage?

My C8 hasn't got any burn in at all, I watch a lot of discovery, Nat Geo and news with no sign of any banners or channel icons. These TV's have built in processes like pixel refreshers to avoid burn in, as long as you leave your tv powered on stand by they'll run in the background. It's 2.5 years old now and still amazes me with its picture quality.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
My Sonos Arc arrived.. couldn't resist the 75 quid off on eBay offer this week so went for it. Have yet to give it a proper test beyond working out how to set the TV up so it actually sets the ARC port as eARC/setting the Xbox up to use Atmos etc

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My Sonos Arc arrived.. couldn't resist the 75 quid off on eBay offer this week so went for it. Have yet to give it a proper test beyond working out how to set the TV up so it actually sets the ARC port as eARC/setting the Xbox up to use Atmos etc
Interested to hear how you get on, especially concerning lip sync and if you have to adjust the settings for that.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
It’s a Philips 558M1RY which is specifically a gaming monitor, i’ve asked him if he knew that 🤔

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Sony XH90 - Has HDMI 2.1, no VRR yet, Sony seem quite reactive to fixing bugs, this is their PS5 TV so they do seem to care. s**t HDR.
Samsung mid-high end QLEDS have 1 HDMI 2.1 port, best HDMI 2.1 tv for HDR, massive dimming issues in games mode, unresolved since May 2020, I'd not touch them.
LG BX - Best value HDMI 2.1 tv, 2 ports, all HDMI 2.1 features supported, lower spec motion processor, great HDR
LG CX - as BX but with 4 ports, better motion processor which might be important if you do other non gaming stuff on it, even brighter HDR

They're the main options, the Sony and Panny OLEDS also have a 2.1 port, they are more expensive than the LGs with little benefit imo.

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
There's always this one which is cheaper than all of the above. HDMI 2.1 and has decent reviews from what I can see.

Might be the one I have to go for due to size restrictions. Can't justify £1500 on the CX48"

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
There's always this one which is cheaper than all of the above. HDMI 2.1 and has decent reviews from what I can see.

Might be the one I have to go for due to size restrictions. Can't justify £1500 on the CX48"

Yep, forgot all about the nano!

But mainly because it's just not a great TV, the XH90 is a better TV if you are wanting a cheaper 2.1 set and don't care about HDR performance.

Of course if limited by size then you have very few options at the moment, and I genuinely wouldn't buy anything if you don't want to spend extra on the 48CX. We'll see more TVs coming in the next couple of years with HDMI 2.1 support, the HDMI 2.1 features such as VRR will become better and the cost will come down.

Unless you have the cash spare or need a new TV now, I wouldn't buy anything for a next gen console right now. Saying that I am proper chuffed with my CX, but I was in a position where I had no TV so had to buy something now, and chose this.

Edit: Check out rtings to compare TVs side by side, and also watch HDTVTest on YouTube, mainly for the jokes but he knows his stuff too.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, forgot all about the nano!

But mainly because it's just not a great TV, the XH90 is a better TV if you are wanting a cheaper 2.1 set and don't care about HDR performance.

Of course if limited by size then you have very few options at the moment, and I genuinely wouldn't buy anything if you don't want to spend extra on the 48CX. We'll see more TVs coming in the next couple of years with HDMI 2.1 support, the HDMI 2.1 features such as VRR will become better and the cost will come down.

Unless you have the cash spare or need a new TV now, I wouldn't buy anything for a next gen console right now. Saying that I am proper chuffed with my CX, but I was in a position where I had no TV so had to buy something now, and chose this.

Edit: Check out rtings to compare TVs side by side, and also watch HDTVTest on YouTube, mainly for the jokes but he knows his stuff too.
I’ve got a 5 year old Samsung non 4K (wasn’t a new model when I bought it though) and it’s proper laggy if I’m not using Sky but I use it for RedBull TV. We lose picture often (flickering on and off) on a few hdmi sockets so an upgrade is due (especially now I have a PS5)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got a 5 year old Samsung non 4K (wasn’t a new model when I bought it though) and it’s proper laggy if I’m not using Sky but I use it for RedBull TV. We lose picture often (flickering on and off) on a few hdmi sockets so an upgrade is due (especially now I have a PS5)

I see, I guess you are like me and need the upgrade now.

Have you considered a non 2.1 tv, like the Sony 9505? The PS5 doesn't support VRR yet, and very few games will run at 120fps. You'd probably get more benefit from decent HDR and a better display imo, you'll still be running a solid 4k60 with the PS5 which is what most of the flagships will target anyway, less with RT.

I'm also being mega fussy too, you're almost certainly going to see improvement from any of the TVs mentioned (inc the nano) over your old Samsung!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I see, I guess you are like me and need the upgrade now.

Have you considered a non 2.1 tv, like the Sony 9505? The PS5 doesn't support VRR yet, and very few games will run at 120fps. You'd probably get more benefit from decent HDR and a better display imo, you'll still be running a solid 4k60 with the PS5 which is what most of the flagships will target anyway, less with RT.

I'm also being mega fussy too, you're almost certainly going to see improvement from any of the TVs mentioned (inc the nano) over your old Samsung!
I'll check that out.
The base needs to be very specific too because of the unit it's going on. I looked at one Sony and even with the feet being in the middle, when angled as it would need to be, the feet are over the edge. I could get them literally on the edge but with a 5 year and 3 month old I'd be a nervous wreck. That's the same for not having a 55.
Pedestal base, sub 50".

I was only looking at 2.1 and 120 for future proofing.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Nah, @N0ddie's setup is so clean, love it. You can also get away with a bigger screen if you wall mount like that, really wish I'd gone 65" and done something similar now!

Also he can fit a soundbar in too now, which the original stand wouldn't fit.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone seen any good deals on 55-65" 4k TVs

I'm cheap and it will only be used for Netflix/Amazon so doesn't need to be Next Gen console ready.

Always had LG but now have Samsung phones and Tablets in the house.

I'm clueless on tech so how much difference would u see between the £5-600 offerings compared to the £1k+

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
After watching a lot of HDTVtests I think I’ll be avoiding Samsung due to the blooming issues. They are very apparent on his tests. Even the more expensive ones fail. The LG Nano are even worse.
The Sony looks good but the feet won’t fit my unit.
I wonder if Cyber Monday will bring the 48” CX down to a justifiable price.