ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new TV thread

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
i've been waiting so long for the right time to upgrade tv to my perfect spec, Oled, HDR10, dolby vision and now 120hz. and finally as I get my xbox series x , the CX is in my crosshairs. Shame i've got to wait a month, but i'll go with richer sounds, lots of the staff actually know what they are talking about, have honoured warranties before and been a pleasure to deal with. If i get screen burn i'll find a way to sort that lol

can't wait just to watch movies in dolby vision/HDR on my first oled panel. I can finally upgrade my custom home cinema setup. next stop dolby atmos system.!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
i've been waiting so long for the right time to upgrade tv to my perfect spec, Oled, HDR10, dolby vision and now 120hz. and finally as I get my xbox series x , the CX is in my crosshairs. Shame i've got to wait a month, but i'll go with richer sounds, lots of the staff actually know what they are talking about, have honoured warranties before and been a pleasure to deal with. If i get screen burn i'll find a way to sort that lol

can't wait just to watch movies in dolby vision/HDR on my first oled panel. I can finally upgrade my custom home cinema setup. next stop dolby atmos system.!
I have an onkyo dolby atmos system and haven't had chance to fully test it as I don't have anything that outputs dolby atmos! Gutting

But the rest of the system is mega, really cheap too for £900 for the full thing. Think it's cheaper now too.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I have an onkyo dolby atmos system and haven't had chance to fully test it as I don't have anything that outputs dolby atmos! Gutting

But the rest of the system is mega, really cheap too for £900 for the full thing. Think it's cheaper now too.

is it a full system? 5.1? 7.1?

the reason I ask is I want proper surround sound and just dont want a soundbar type system.. it's not the same!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
is it a full system? 5.1? 7.1?

the reason I ask is I want proper surround sound and just dont want a soundbar type system.. it's not the same!
It's a 5.1.2 system so 7 speakers, 1 sub and 2 speakers mounted in the tops of the front speakers that face the ceiling that bounce back at you so the sound comes from above

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
sounds awesome, does that price come with the AV receiver? or just speakers? if it comes with the recievier that's a great deal either way!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
sounds awesome, does that price come with the AV receiver? or just speakers? if it comes with the recievier that's a great deal either way!
Yes it does
Receiver is hdcp2. 2 capable too, HDR on cod just simply looks amazing!!

Was playing cod earlier with it and its just unreal, I usually play with a headset so experiencing it with surround sound was mega. Hearing the shells drop on the floor in your right ear really adds to the experience.

I'm not sure if you play cod but when mortar strikes are coming in you hear them in the background and the speakers account for this. Hard to explain. But it's brill

This is it, it's no longer available apparently?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I'm getting my CX tv, but as for upgrading my sound and AV receiver, I'm making sure I get a setup that supports HDMI 2.2 and will passthrough 120fps

right now i'm using an adaptor that has 4 ins that i plug my hdmi into and the passes the hdmi video to my tv and optical to my sound system, I had to buy this as a stop gap but to be fair at least it supports 60fps, HDR, dolby vision and 4k.

my sound system is my weak point, but I do own a top floor flat (for now), so can't be too noisey. So i've just got regular dolby digital and DTS. I've yet to expirence DTSX and dolby atmos etc..

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
It's HDMI 2.1 btw, HDCP 2.2 is copy protection

Very few receivers even have 2.1 atm it seems, and the few that do have issues.. certainly when I was looking there were issues with the chipsets

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
It's HDMI 2.1 btw, HDCP 2.2 is copy protection

Very few receivers even have 2.1 atm it seems, and the few that do have issues.. certainly when I was looking there were issues with the chipsets
i meant hdmi 2.1 not the current 2b i'v'e been accustomed to.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
just had the tv since yesterday and sorted the calibration for expert day, expert night, HDR nad dolby vision, the picture, the blacks.... the vividness when watching something like pacific rim.... SUBLIME

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
i used the av forums guide which is on youtube and tweaked a few odds and sods, changed brightness up a tad etc

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I need help, I know nothing about TVs really but want to upgrade a puny 32" samsung, due to space etc a 43" is as big as I can and want to go. I've looked at a Bravia XH80 or 81 but wondered about saving a bit on the TV to spend on a soundbar so I can get rid of my dated Denon separate system (stash in the attic) something like a Samsung TU7100 or Sony X70. As you can see the budget isn't exactly huge, any advice appreciated!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I need help, I know nothing about TVs really but want to upgrade a puny 32" samsung, due to space etc a 43" is as big as I can and want to go. I've looked at a Bravia XH80 or 81 but wondered about saving a bit on the TV to spend on a soundbar so I can get rid of my dated Denon separate system (stash in the attic) something like a Samsung TU7100 or Sony X70. As you can see the budget isn't exactly huge, any advice appreciated!
Being brutally honest, nothing at this size these days is not a budget TV, all the TVs will be very similar and the only thing to distinguish them from each other will be the operating system and design. All will be 4K and some will claim to have HDR, but you'll be hard pushed to notice due to a small number of local dimming zones and poor peak brightness.

Basically, buy the one you like the look of best, I think your idea of going for a cheaper TV and getting a decent soundbar is a good one.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Being brutally honest, nothing at this size these days is not a budget TV, all the TVs will be very similar and the only thing to distinguish them from each other will be the operating system and design. All will be 4K and some will claim to have HDR, but you'll be hard pushed to notice due to a small number of local dimming zones and poor peak brightness.

Basically, buy the one you like the look of best, I think your idea of going for a cheaper TV and getting a decent soundbar is a good one.
Thanks @jenic I've spent the afternoon looking into it, anything bigger than 43" just wont work with the layout of the room unfortunately. I think I've decided on a Samsung TU7100 43", anything will be better than the current 32", and possibly a Sony HT G700 although the bar is fractionally longer than the TV

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Best 55inch TV for sub £600ish?

Our 7 year old LG has finally bit the dust today and I'm left with a 12 year old, 32 inch Alba TV in its place at the moment 😂

I know it won't be outstanding at that price point but we only use it for an hour or so on a night. Got a PS4 we hardly use and not interested in a PS5 or new Xbox. Just want something half decent. Also needs to be black.

Are the hisense ones decent for the money or best off sticking with the known brands? Keep reading mixed reviews about them.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Best 55inch TV for sub £600ish?

Our 7 year old LG has finally bit the dust today and I'm left with a 12 year old, 32 inch Alba TV in its place at the moment 😂

I know it won't be outstanding at that price point but we only use it for an hour or so on a night. Got a PS4 we hardly use and not interested in a PS5 or new Xbox. Just want something half decent. Also needs to be black.

Are the hisense ones decent for the money or best off sticking with the known brands? Keep reading mixed reviews about them.
I wouldn't touch a Hisense TV ever again, nothing but issues with mine.

My money would be on something like this at £600 - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...lkafrU253CUFwHpks2BoCMo0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My money on the best qled you can get...

Qled really does move over nanocell really. Unles Oled.
I'd agree if going for a decent QLED, but the 60 is widely regarded as being quite crap. I believe the minimum recommended is the Q80 (2020) or Q70 (2019), afaik mainly due to the Q60 being edge lit and having a poor motion processor.

I actually think the nanocell wouldn't be any better, however I'd go LG over Samsung purely based on the fact LG listen to their users and release firmware fixes, unlike Samsung who allow bugs to live on for ever more.

I'm biased, but I'd spend the extra for an OLED personally. Or a high end LCD like the 55XH9505. People seem afraid of spending a decent chunk on a TV which will last 5+ years but are happy to upgrade to the latest £1200 phone every couple of years. Crazy world.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
My last plasma was 10 years old. Never missed a beat. I bought the q80! 😂 65 inch!

I thought the q60 looked decent and side array but decent panel and little bit extra over standard.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Can anyone with a CX put my mind at rest, got one arriving tomorrow which is great but want to check I don’t need a Wi-fi connection to set it up at all? I’m currently without Wi-fi in my new place but I’m hoping it will still function without it for the next few weeks?

I’m very fed up of my 32” currently in use!

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Can anyone with a CX put my mind at rest, got one arriving tomorrow which is great but want to check I don’t need a Wi-fi connection to set it up at all? I’m currently without Wi-fi in my new place but I’m hoping it will still function without it for the next few weeks?

Assuming it's no different from the C8 (don't think it is), then you'll be fine.
It's optional, and only required for you want to perform a software update or use the built-in apps.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You're gonna love it. Watching this tonight later and had to do a quick trial. Ultra HD on BBC I player. Its absolutely unbelievable!
IMG_20210104_184720.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You're gonna love it. Watching this tonight later and had to do a quick trial. Ultra HD on BBC I player. Its absolutely unbelievable! View attachment 1513963
I really wish I'd gone bigger, looks awesome!

I use ethernet, works fine 👍

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Good to hear from both! It’s going to be quite the upgrade so I’m pretty excited.

Should’ve been clearer @jenic i have no internet at all thanks to BT!
Might be a few weeks before I can really try it out with some UHD content

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Had my LG OLED nearly two years and it is hands down one of the best tech purchases I've made.
There's so much great UHD/Dolby Vision content out these days to really make the most of it.
Enjoy.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
4G is frustratingly patchy as well, I’m basically living in the 90’s!!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Had my LG OLED nearly two years and it is hands down one of the best tech purchases I've made.
There's so much great UHD/Dolby Vision content out these days to really make the most of it.
Enjoy.
This is where I'm struggling with it, I don't have that many means to play ultra HD. I don't even know where you get it from lol (genuine)

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Sky Q have a decent UHD section, there’s some stuff on Amazon Prime and the top Netflix package too.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
This is where I'm struggling with it, I don't have that many means to play ultra HD. I don't even know where you get it from lol (genuine)
Haha, few years ago it was a bit of a struggle but as others have said, nowadays, Netflix, Prime, AppleTV+ and even BBC offer 4K content.

Personally for 4k movies I buy or rent from iTunes on Apple TV as they have solid collection of UHD films for good prices.

There’s also no reason you couldn’t download 4K films from t’interwebs and put them on a USB

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
That was the first thing I got on mine when it arrived Tuesday, luckily my brother had better 4G than me so we could stream it over that.
It’s amazing, although now if I watch anything on standard definition it’s really noticeable how dodgy it is. The old plasma I had the difference wasn’t so much of an issue

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Does it not do a great job of upscaling SD channels then?

I'm still undecided. I'm not paying £1500 for the 48" version and I'm not risking my kids knocking the 55" off the unit because it sticks over so much.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I don't think its that, more that I am used to HD on a 10yr old 37" plasma so the 4K is mind blowing :ROFLMAO:

Also, it did have a delicate feel to it when putting it together, that thin screen is great but a tad wobbly when moving it.