ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Petrol Blue Project continued

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Good afternoon!

Been a couple of weeks since I bought this well known and lovely looking petrol blue 182 off @Christopher. but only found time for its first wash today, in the rain, so thought I'd start a thread.

I wasn't really planning on getting another Clio, but when this came up for sale I just had to go have a look! It has got all the options I was planning to get for my arctic blue 182 so after a whole afternoon of going over the car and checking all the paperwork I struck a deal with Chris and drove it home!

And what a drive it was, yay for 200 motorway miles ;)
First night out together, parked up at services.
20191115_213708.jpg

Been so busy in work I've only managed to get the first wash done today and I had to cut it short because it started pouring down.

Steps today
-Snow foam
-3 bucket method using Mitchell and King winter shampoo
-Gyeon wetcoat (because rain)
-Quick go at the exhaust tips with Mothers Mag&Aluminium polish

It's going to get a proper wheels off detailing session in spring with a good quality wax but this will have to do for now!

Before
20191215_143749.jpg

Snowfoam
20191215_143846.jpg

After
20191215_152726.jpg
20191215_152753.jpg

Gotta love a little bit of beading :)
20191215_151229.jpg

I've only covered about 500 miles since I bought the car so no real plans for it other than to enjoy it, go out for drives, wash, polish, take pictures and as soon as the weather starts to clear up in spring, take it to the track!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Weather hasn't been great but this morning it looked like it was going to be dry enough to go out for a little drive.

Typically it started raining within ten minutes after setting off and it got dry by the time I got home two hours later!

Good thing was, there was no one on the road!

20200106_113305.jpg
20200106_112912.jpg

Got a couple of minor things sorted as well, replaced the number plate light, new boot gas struts in and cleaned the boot lock as it didn't want to close first time every time.

2020-01-06_14.27.38.jpg

20200106_135128.jpg
20200106_135112.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks!

Is it the colour or the way the car sits on them?

Might be the fact it's got 18mm spacers up front which makes it fill the arches better than the rear?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Yes I've noticed it as well, it's more obvious because of the angle of the pictures but it is on my list of things to look at in spring.

Either move the rears out a bit or see if I can get slightly thinner spacers at the front but I need to clear the calipers at the front so will need to do some measuring!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Wish I had kept my Petrol Blue, only lasted 3 months with me.

Hard to find a looked after example these days, it looks great on the silver turinis.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Wish I had kept my Petrol Blue, only lasted 3 months with me.

Hard to find a looked after example these days, it looks great on the silver turinis.

Yours was lovely too, I think this looks fresh on the silver turini’s but yours on anthracite turini’s looks moodier.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys!

Yes it does look nice and fresh on the silver turinis altough the anthracite does suit petrol blue as well. Anthracite would be easier to keep clean (looking) as well as the turinis really tend to catch a lot of sand and mud I've noticed!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I think i must be the only one who doesn't get a boner over the colour, it really doesn't do anything for me personally.
However, it does look a lovely example and wishing you well to enjoy using it. :)

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Looks great mate - always liked this car.

But yes I have to agree the spacing on the Turinis looks strange - what spacers is it running? Rear needs spacing out or front reducing.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
needs front spacers down to 15mm and rear 10mm to balance imo

lovely motor though

where did you source struts for boot from too? genuine? do they work as all of mine on both cars are tired

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
@frayz I get that, it's one those colours as well that only looks good when clean and when the sun is out (three days a year..)

But when the sun does pop through I love the colour!

@mossyv6 and @Coops Mk1 It's got 18mm spacers on the front and I'm not sure about the back as I've not had time to get the wheels off. I am thinking of going down to 15 front and 10 rear if those aren't on there yet.

@Christopher. Can you remember if there's any spacers at the rear?

Ah and those Boot struts are from ebay but I accidentally ordered two sets (wasn't clear in the ad if it was a single unit or a set of two so got two sets by accident). If you want you can have the second set?

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
The car is looking great mate. Glad your enjoying it.

There are no spacers on the rear. I had planned to get the 10mm hub spacers but never got round to it.

You will need to do some measuring when it comes to the front spacers. The 18mm ones from PMS clear the PMS 300mm brembo brackets nicely.

It's hard to explain but you will see once the wheel is off, the brembo calipers are clear by alot on the faces but with the height they sit at from the hub (because of the 300mm brackets) fits nicely into the shape if the inside barrel of the turini. If you remember the spare set of wheels 2 of them have some paint damage on the inside of the barrel, that's because of using the old 5mm spacers I had.

Hope this helps. You've got my contact details if you need any more help.

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Chris! Yes I do remember you had issues with the 5mm spacers! And good to know about the rear spacers, I'll see if any come up for sale or just get them from pms direct!

I'll have to have a look in a couple of weeks, I might get the wheels off in a week or two anyway as I might take it to Oulton Park 28th of January!

@frayz I'll get you the link where I got the struts from but I'm going to check spoiler-roof clearance first as I forgot when I installed them. I'll get back to you tomorrow!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
In preparation for Oulton Park the 28th of January I wanted two things sorted.

First changed the thermostat as it wouldn't keep a constant temperature, very slight variations, but still for the cost of a thermostat and some coolant and 20 minutes of work it's worth replacing.

Then on to the @Yanoo stiff shift 1.0 kit including the brass bushes.

Beautifully made I have to say. Shame you don't see it once fitted!

20200120_150512.jpg

Had to get the cat out of the way so took a bit longer than the stated two hours but wasn't too difficult mainly due to the clear instructions that come with the kit.

First everything off the car and taken apart

20200120_142418.jpg

Had to measure the OEM plastic rings and sand them down a bit. Typically the batteries in my caliper had died and surprise surprise they take some kind of special battery! Luckily found a similar battery that worked, in a shop nearby.

2020-01-20_19.40.53.jpg

Note the brass bushes in the background, these were the ones that got replaced:

20200120_163916.jpg

Old rubber ball surrounding

20200120_141720.jpg

New silicone ball insert

20200120_151220.jpg

Before

20200120_125850.jpg

And after!

20200120_161429.jpg

Wow does it feel stiff, I sanded down the brass bushes twice and refitted it all, but still quite stiff, big difference to the original wobbly setup!

Running in period is about 250 km so will see if I need to adjust it or if it settles a bit.

Now just get the toweye installed, track pads installed and tools packed and I'm ready to go!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Had my first day out at Oulton Park yesterday and loved it!

Looked like it was going to stay dry so I'd put the Federal RSR's and PBS Prorace pads on the car on Monday, checked all fluids and gave it a clean:

20200127_123658.jpg

Heavy rain showers and lower than expected temperatures resulted in a less than confidence inspiring start of the day!

20200128_080224.jpg

After signing on I went out with an instructor for the sighting laps and started with 20 minutes of tuition, best decision of the day that was!

Didn't get as much track time as I'd thought as I'd decided to call it a day early when it started to rain again early afternoon. I'd had a great day and the car performed faultlessly so didn't want to risk binning it on my first day.

I was definitely the slowest out there, so hope I wasn't in anyone's way but I've definitely learned a couple of things :

Tuition is gold!
I don't need coilovers yet
This is going to cost a lot of money..

Couple of shots from the day
First time out alone!
IMG-20200128-WA0009.jpg

Before the rain
IMG-20200128-WA0010.jpg

These were the same colour this morning
20200128_150532.jpg

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice honesty on the track review.

Coilovers are a total waste for the skill level 90% of track drivers operate at. You either buy s**t ones for the lowz or have to spend at least a grand for a decent set.

I quite like the colour but certainly wouldn’t have paid the premium Renault wanted for it. I still don’t know why someone would spec it over liquid yellow but then again, I’m a ‘look at me’ kind of guy.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I agree, I was planning an upgrade over summer especially as I find it a bit low on the grams springs but it drives well and the 1000 pound would pay for three or four full track days which will be way more rewarding.

As for the colour, I think it's a bit like BMW's sunset orange, looks quite dull at the best of times when not clean or when it's cloudy. Liquid yellow is definitely more crowd pleasing and better looking most of the time.

Petrol Blue does attract attention though, even the trackday organiser came out to our garage to ask what colour it was as he'd never seen it before and it caught his eye when I drove by when the sun was out.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
About fifty minutes away, right in between Anglesey and Oulton Park.

Not too bad then, i'm 20 miles away but it take 40 mins to get there.

Best circuit in the country for variety of corners.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
That's good to hear! I've only heard great stories about Oulton anyway, it's nice and long with quite a bit of elevation change.

I'll probably see you there some time then!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
That's good to hear! I've only heard great stories about Oulton anyway, it's nice and long with quite a bit of elevation change.

I'll probably see you there some time then!

Probably, i may as well live there 😂

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Not done much last month, but did notice a bit of moisture in the boot. Got the baby powder out and wasn't surprised to find the rubber grommets leaking.

They were well due a replacement after closer inspection, the new ones are a nice snug fit.

For anyone looking, part number is 7700423111, £3,29 Inc VAT for two from Renault.

Gotta love an easy cheap fix!

20200304_132340.jpg

20200304_132554.jpg

20200304_132616.jpg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Not done much last month, but did notice a bit of moisture in the boot. Got the baby powder out and wasn't surprised to find the rubber grommets leaking.

They were well due a replacement after closer inspection, the new ones are a nice snug fit.

For anyone looking, part number is 7700423111, £3,29 Inc VAT for two from Renault.

Gotta love an easy cheap fix!

Should have just siliconed them back on, they will leak again.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Washed her yesterday and had a spare afternoon today so started on a couple of things that were bothering me: the faded plastics!

Thoroughly cleaned and degreased and then put Gyeon Trim on. Bit of a pain with cotton buds but still better than the lower grill which is a job for future me.

Took about a hundred pics for my detailing friends, but I've condensed them for the Clio community, guess no one is really interested ;)

Before and after
2020-03-16_16.08.47.jpg

Close up and two pics of the half finished plastic covers, see how it'll hold and if it's worth taking the rest of the car apart for.
2020-03-16_16.10.07.jpg

While at it I did a quick wipe down under the bonnet.
2020-03-16_16.19.05.jpg

And of course a couple of pics to show off Petrol Blue when it's showing its true colours!

20200316_155756.jpg
20200316_160305.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Interested in the Gyeon trim. Looks superb.
How was it to apply? Thoughts?

Dead easy. I used a small stiff bristle brush and Gyeon Prep, let it dry and then liberally apply Trim with a cotton bud. For the larger areas I use their own suede cloths.
Let dry for 2-5 minutes and wipe with a disposible microfiber cloth. (I use the Kirkland cloths, 36 for under 18 pounds and then get rid or use for dirty jobs).

Then just have to keep it dry for 24 hours (so they say).

I've used about 5-10% of the bottle so my rough guess is a full bottle will do all exterior plastics including headlights about twice.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
With the weather hopefully being dry next couple of days I'm finally going to be able to give the PB a good clean and polish.

Headlights will be coming off, so the bumper is coming off and as the fabia splitter isn't looking too great I've ordered a new one.

Started with the dirtiest badge ever!

Still says Clio..
20200325_165447.jpg

Ordered new plugs
20200325_165458.jpg

And polished the badge using Scholl S30 and cotton buds.
Before:
20200325_191331.jpg

After
20200325_192639.jpg

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Following with interest as a previous owner of this car, but off topic, my wedding ring looks exactly the same as yours. Enough of comparing rings. Back to the car.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, great taste! ;)

Cool to see you're still active as a previous owner, how long did you own it for? Sold to Chris in January 2014 if I remember correctly?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Yes. Sold in January 14. Didn’t realise it was that long ago.
Was totally standard bar lowering springs in my ownership.
I think I bought it in 2012. Not sure though. An HPI will show.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
It's got quite a couple of modifications now! But I got all the original parts to return to standard bar the original springs and wheels, always an option.

As for today, I was going to wash and clay the car in preparation for polishing, but wanted to get the PMS stub axle spacers fitted before getting the whole driveway wet.

Started with taking the discs off, broke a bearing, great..
20200326_113828.jpg

Then started with WD40 and a wire brush to get all the rust off the bolts but still managed to snap my Torx socket, this isn't going well so far!
20200326_123545.jpg

At least there was still a piece of the Torx bit left, until there wasn't..
20200326_132727.jpg

Ended up spending the whole day with different kinds of tools nannying the bolts, loosening and tightening them, spraying with loads of WD40 and finally got them all out.

Nice and rusty!
20200326_175850.jpg

Glad I sorted it in the end with all the shops closed I would need to order online and wait for tools to be delivered!

PMS spacers in:
20200326_175822.jpg

20200326_175828.jpg

Big thank you to @George@RTR_Parts for advice and being still open to order new discs!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Got a bit of polishing done today, but wasn't happy with the results polishing around the side trims so needed to remove them. Couldn't find a good guide or pictures on how to remove them and most threads just advice to use a lot of force.

Turns out there's a tiny little pin that you push in and it just slides off, pfff that would've saved me an hour of messing around!

20200327_210907.jpg

20200327_211002.jpg

That'll make things a lot easier to polish tomorrow. Might spruce up the bullets with some fresh paint as well.

And a sneak peak of what it's going to look like:
Before
20200327_211404.jpg

After
20200327_211435.jpg