ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thoughts on Leon Fr Tdi 150s..

FRS
Seriously considering one, red, 80k, fsh, 2 owners from new, not keen on the interior or ride height as standard but cracking mpg and comfort over the 182, and i can insure the bird on it, £3495 asking price on it aswell, thoughts?

image-16.jpg

Looks a little like that, cheers.

53 Clio's & counting
Make sure it's been ran on pd / longtime oil.

Pd spec is VW 501.01 and longlife spec is VW 504.00 / 507.00

This is a must.

MK3 Clio DCI 86
I've always had a soft spot for these too. May look at getting one in the future.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Good cars, go well for a bigish car.

Thought they were more expensive than that or is the the fr+ that hold their value well?

Suzuki Jimny
Mate at work had one for his 1.3 mile commute. (because mpgs LOL) Along with it breaking due to the short distance he also had it remapped and it destoryed the clutch after a month. Comfy car though!

Now has a diesel passat. Just what you need for a 2 minute drive.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Theyre s**t, dont buy one. ;)

I bought one as a run around and tbh i love it as a "car". They're nothing exciting but they do everything you want/need. As Russ says, fsh is a must. I'd go as extreme to say full dealer history is a must due to specific oil needed. Now mapped i think mine would easily walk from a 182. Well, until the twisties. ;)

Thats a good price too. Just make sure the belt has been done as that would be coming up or just done.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
What year is it?

After late 2003 seem not to suffer from the cam issues but still as everyone says it must ahve the correct oil 100% time.

I love my Toledo version, after a map they they ruin 1*2s once moving. Hybrid and a few other things really make them come alive. If you covered my rev counter up you'd never know it was diesel with the way it drives.

Check for door seal leaks, although a simple fix it ruins carpets badly if it has been left a long time.

Check the A/C, common problem is it pulsing when on idle.

DMFs are the only other big problem on these but they're getting cheaper and cheaper and one of the easiest clutches i've ever changed.

www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk will open your eyes to a whole world of goodies for these.

Audi TT 225
Almost bought one of these so did quite a bit of research at the time :) What year are you looking at? Looking at the picture it looks like a MK1 which IMO is the one to go for, mostly due to the lack of the DPF, if you do a lot of short trips this can cause an issue, IIRC this was introduced with the MK2 and not on the 150's anyway (i'd double check this, i'm running from memory here)

Only a few people have had injector, dual mass flywheel or diesel particulate filter problems, but they're no where near as common as the scare mongers will have you believe.

The Injectors issue - There was a bad batch of injectors that went into the Mk2s, however this is a FREE warranty fix.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
MK1s have no dpf at all mate.

Failed DMFs are mainly down to aggressive Revo maps.

Injectoes are never problems, incredibly rare on the PD engine.

MK2 CR engines can f*** off tbh.

Last edited:
  Audi TT 225
MK1s have no dpf at all mate.

Failed DMFs are mainly down to aggressive Revo maps.

Injectoes are never problems, incredibly rare on the PD engine.

MK2 CR engines can f*** off tbh.

Sums it up really :) My TT went through a DMF on a Revo map too, lol.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
My Bora's DMF was sweet and that took alot of abuse. My mate also had a mapped PD130 knocking on 190k still running the standard clutch. It is starting to go now though.

I'm guessing this Leon is late 04 or 05?

Audi TT 225
Wow Dan, that makes the DMF removed from mine look like it was in good condition!

View attachment 87512 mine took a lot of track abuse and regularly towed my race car on a trailer , 100k miles and not a hiccup , was specced to the hilt with every single option ticked so was a nice place to be , and regularly embarrassed more expensive cars , especially after they said those cupras go well and i pointed out it wasn't a 225 petrol but a 150 dismal .

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
That should fine regarding the cam issue then as long as the correct pd oil has been used.

i so love shocking people in mine. The most fun bit about the car.