ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

He seemed quite keen at Mallory.

Yes, he's out there now fixing the 1st mechanics mistake - somehow the rear brake pipe nut wouldn't screw in the caliper - caliper off and an oh bugger moment...Got a tap from Dave my garage mate and all hopefully will be fine and the internal thread will be OK - only flattened the first thread so nothing too bad...

Big Tut form Dad...LoL.

Bigg Red made a good job of the refurb.

cliobrake.jpg

Wish I didn't have to had them back so soon as would've gone for their polymer coating, heat oil rust resistant. The normal black paint is already coming off the rear with all the messing about yesterday.

Trial fited the 205's to the front dropped the Cup back on the deck and checked all for possible rubbing, couldn't see any areas that would touch so all's good there. Be interesting so see if I notice any difference. After speaking with the motorsports garage I got them from, on front wheel drive cars you can run a lot smaller width tyre on the rear as, as we know not a lot goes on back there. So may stick with 195's on the rear - be cheaper too.

I've got 205s all round. I get a slight rub OSR. I am quite a bit higher than you though.

Calipers look good.

Did you get a rear cam? What you been looking at?

No haven't got a rear cam sorted - looking at go pro and the Action pro - will leave for now and try and get sorted for next year...

Brakes all sorted, though the arm on the compensator valve is a bit stiff (may have been the problem all along) so it's either up or down. Gave it loads of WD40 and movement and left it up, now the car off the jacks I'll see where it has ended up, ran out of light outside so will see what it's like tomorrow.

Down is least effort to the rears on the compensator, up is max. It may lock up if up... If you put your hand on it when someone presses the brake you should feel it move down as the piston takes some of the pressure away from the rears.

I was thinking about a cheaper cam for the rear since you normally only embed it in the front shot. Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-UK-Mi...=320981527035&ps=63&clkid=2023028383284917191

Don't know if they're any good.

Good luck for Saturday.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
No haven't got a rear cam sorted - looking at go pro and the Action pro - will leave for now and try and get sorted for next year...

Brakes all sorted, though the arm on the compensator valve is a bit stiff (may have been the problem all along) so it's either up or down. Gave it loads of WD40 and movement and left it up, now the car off the jacks I'll see where it has ended up, ran out of light outside so will see what it's like tomorrow.

There should be a spring that goes into a hole in the chassis and on to the arm of the compensator to keep it in the up position. It makes sure it returns back to that position then all the time. As mark123 is saying, it should move downwards with the brakes applied to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes.

Mine is held fully closed and the braking effort to the rears is excellent. Doesn't lock out either, but you can hear the tyres just starting to come close at times. With sticky track tyres I doubt it will be much of a issue though tbh.

Down is least effort to the rears on the compensator, up is max. It may lock up if up... If you put your hand on it when someone presses the brake you should feel it move down as the piston takes some of the pressure away from the rears.

I was thinking about a cheaper cam for the rear since you normally only embed it in the front shot. Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-UK-Mi...=320981527035&ps=63&clkid=2023028383284917191

Don't know if they're any good.

Good luck for Saturday.

Cheers Mark....I'll check out the movement later, even when it was down didn't notice any braking problems at Mallory. There is a spring there may be a bit old and tired. The arm was V stiff at first.

Camera looks good, didn't give it a thought that it'll be embedded so doesn't need to be as good.

There should be a spring that goes into a hole in the chassis and on to the arm of the compensator to keep it in the up position. It makes sure it returns back to that position then all the time. As mark123 is saying, it should move downwards with the brakes applied to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes.

Mine is held fully closed and the braking effort to the rears is excellent. Doesn't lock out either, but you can hear the tyres just starting to come close at times. With sticky track tyres I doubt it will be much of a issue though tbh.

Closed means most effort to the rears, arm up?

Can it be replaced with another bias valve, Triton has been mentioned on here? If so job for over winter.

Yes that's it mate. Closed = full effort to the rear brakes.

You could replace it, but i would've thought you'd be better off replacing it with a new Renault one tbh.

Probably the better option....sent renparts a PM to see if they've a used one.

Pete all the best for Saturday. Hope you both ahve a good race.

Thanks Andy, well looking forward to it now...Cup is all clean and loaded on the trailer - kit in the car ready for the off tomorrow. Going to leave a bit earlier as have to trim a bit from the rear plastic bumber trim where it meets the wheel arch - abou 5 mm clearance so suspect that'll rub.

172 Race Car
Think he might be '4 wheels off' there.

well done Pete and Sam, great effort for your first time ever around Donington

Well done Pete and Sam was really good to see you! Did you like Donington as a track in the end?

PMSL at the photo I was amazed at how I could just keep my foot planted and it gripped out there lol dirty tyres were interesting for craners though ;)

Can't wait to see everyone's videos of the race

New line through Redgate?

Think James has re written the book "The correct line to take round Donington" to the "Donington's drive it like you stole it approach - 35th to 5th yip yar, get some, cough splutter, fumes FTW"

your eyes are just saying "WTF?"

with a hint of lift and I don't want to be collected when he heads back to the track lol :eek:...

Think he might be '4 wheels off' there.

well done Pete and Sam, great effort for your first time ever around Donington

Thanks Jay - we both had a good day, thanks for the track brief too!!

congrats guys, good day it sounds like,

they'll soon be a separate series with all these entries i'd imagine - "cliosport cup"

Cheers ph - it just gets better with all the Clio's - at one point there was 4 of us with an Alfa in the middle.....

i taught him that ;), bloody brilliant day, well done team toasty!

Cheers, it was a top day all round - Good to meet you and finally put a face to a name Fred.

Well done Pete and Sam was really good to see you! Did you like Donington as a track in the end?

PMSL at the photo I was amazed at how I could just keep my foot planted and it gripped out there lol dirty tyres were interesting for craners though ;)

Can't wait to see everyone's videos of the race

Thanks James - Donington was ace, by far the most demanding circuit we've ever done and now I think the worse one to have started with out a test day before hand........

Last edited:
Good stuff mine started lighting the inside tyre up mid apex if I kept it flat lol! Can't wait to see your video's! Mine's uploading now but lost the SD card with data so no overlay :(

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
You both did well on your first time at Donny!

More importantly chocolate brownies - thank you very much!!!

Good stuff mine started lighting the inside tyre up mid apex if I kept it flat lol! Can't wait to see your video's! Mine's uploading now but lost the SD card with data so no overlay :(

Ha ha - as I filled up my video card - left camera on after qualifying and the race start took an age only got about 6 mins of the race before the camera stopped - though I do have a data overlay.

There's a bit of extra track I found (got the secret unlock code).

ScreenHunter_01Sep162049.jpg

I'm now a devout Christian....