ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Too busy putting eye lashes on burpspeeds car! Lol
Haha naughty Dan I can't remember who was encouraging him ;)
Ha ha - as I filled up my video card - left camera on after qualifying and the race start took an age only got about 6 mins of the race before the camera stopped - though I do have a data overlay.

There's a bit of extra track I found (got the secret unlock code).

ScreenHunter_01Sep162049.jpg

I'm now a devout Christian....
Haha woops ;)

Lol at the detour!

172 Race Car
Also Lol at detour.

Our rear camera can only record 58 mins, total time it was on was 1hr 8mins so it shat itself and lost it all. All down to the red flag.

Glad you both enjoyed it, truly amazing circuit to drive around.

Just started the data overlay onto video - I have a massive 4mins and 5 secs of footage....:( 20% processed, 30 mins left then it will auto upload to Youtube Channel Toastfrenzy it'll be there in an hour I guess...I had a good first 15 mins too - check video SD card on list for next time - also connect the dangling wires in Cup to cig lighter\usb charger for camera charging...on another list.

Chase Racing Clio
I wondered what happened in that first stint....now we can see on the data overlay that you had a minor detour! We managed to record the whole race front and rear, so hopefully will have a few shots of you guys in there too.

You both did well on your first time at Donny!

More importantly chocolate brownies - thank you very much!!!

Cheers Mike(?) Think I'll have to bring a van next time, just for the brownies...

Ohhh yes the brownies are so good :)

Certainly takes the monoxide taste away...!

Sam has never made me brownies. Feeling a little left out to be perfectly honest :(

Been said - though you know where they'll be for next time.

Those brownies were superb.

No worries Simon, nice to meet you and glad you got the ticket ok.

LOL, nice little detour there Pete! ;)

Yeh, sat nav bird got it wrong again!

I wondered what happened in that first stint....now we can see on the data overlay that you had a minor detour! We managed to record the whole race front and rear, so hopefully will have a few shots of you guys in there too.

Another slilly mistake that cost me lots - just as well the safety car coming out saved my bacon.

Great to meet you and the team, be good to see your footage, the last three or so laps with Sam trying to catch you, was a close finish that one.

The brownies certainly made me feel better thank you :) No doubt about it mate your car in a straight line is quicker than mine, the cam's/ your engine is epic or mine is poo lol! I was fully expecting you to be back past me before the chicane lol :)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
The brownies certainly made me feel better thank you :) No doubt about it mate your car in a straight line is quicker than mine, the cam's/ your engine is epic or mine is poo lol! I was fully expecting you to be back past me before the chicane lol :)

who prepares the fastest engines?

DAN prepares the fastest enignes ;)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Well I don't want to tread on your sponsors toes, but I can give you some suggestions if you like

Donington Race Report 15-09-2010

Whilst at the Mallory race I noticed that the rear brakes where at different temps after qualifying and also after the race. When home did a quick check and the offside rear still turned when standing on the brake pedal. Two weeks before Donington decided to get all four callipers off and sent away for a refurb. The front pads were starting to get wedge shaped after each time out too.

Was a close call but got the callipers back on the Wednesday before the race and all fitted and working by Thursday. On checking the Cup over found a bit of play on the near side track rod, couldn’t see the ball joint moving but pushing and pulling the rod could feel and see movement near the rubber gator. Will get this replaced over winter – was too late to do anything about it then.

Everything checked and loaded time for some track revision and sleep. Arrived Donington at 7am, met up with Tony, Nick and James, then proceeded to finish of some little jobs on the Cup, cutting the rear bumper to avoiding rubbing for one. Time soon sped on and it was nearly time for sign on and scrutineering . After comparing front ride heights with James’s and Burpspeed’s car decided to raise the front’s two turns (with the 205’s and 25mm spacers things stick out quite a bit). In my rush to get done I actually lowered by two turns..doh. After pushing the car around the paddock for an hour, gave up and started the engine and drove back to the trailer to then raise the front by four turns.

Frustrated, I get in the car to drive off to the assembly area for the start of the qualifying session. After arriving in plenty of time, pushing the car and the chaos around sign on and scrutineering seemed to have upset the balance somewhat.
Qualifying started good, Jay came past at the start and led me round for a few laps – then a car came off at Craners and the safety car was deployed to recover. Did 4-5 laps, came in to hand over to Sam. Glad I had a lead from Jay as he showed me some lines into corners and I also made a few mistakes, once at Coppice and Redgate so had some idea on things to pass on to Sam.

My qualifying session

Sam was stuck in the pits some 6 mins so for warned off she went – set the fastest time on her last lap to get us on the grid in 31[SUP]st[/SUP] place, 1min 30 secs. Sam quickly settled down, only the track is new and nothing has changed in the Cup, so all was well with no major dramas, apart from the rear being a bit loose.

Sam's qualifying session

Back to the pits, check of tyre pressures, found a bit on the low side so inflated to give 28 hot rear and 29 hot front. Then whilst looking under the car found the rear brake callipers were leaking brake fluid – Hmmm. Quick look in the reservoir showed that a small amount had leaked – small enough so I didn’t feel the need to top up. After wiping, found the leak to be from around the handbrake operating lever. Wiped the inside of the wheels and left it – not a lot I could do really. Monitored it for the time up until the race and all though concerned didn’t feel the need to bring it to any one’s attention, least of all Sam. It dripped but still only a small amount gone from the reservoir. None of the piston seals were leaking, that I could see, so race still on.

At the assembly point I get one of the members of “Team Chase” to give the brake pedal a few pumps with the engine running, to see if anything untoward happened with the rear callipers – noticed no further increase of fluid appearing – presumed that it probably wouldn’t get worse or be much of a problem.

Grid line up took an age – I was already nervous, the formation lap was a joke – more like an M25 traffic jam on a hot day. Didn’t get a chance to test the brakes that hard, lined up on the grid again watching the board and then the lights, they go off and I …..wait?? Then pull off, messed that up and get behind Team Chase and pass them on the inside of Redgate – for the amount of cars on the grid things seemed to go quite ok and was surprised to see the red flag waved at Coppice - Brakes ok – so far.

First start - red flagged

Another formation lap later again lined up on the grid, whilst reading the start board or not being able to, realise I didn’t have my contacts lenses in!! I even thought about going off to get them then though that was a bad idea. Watching the lights, they go off and so do I, get a cracking start, no wheel spin, bogged down or anything, make up four places then get caught in the first corner jam. I stay on the inside as think that’ll leave me less work to do for the next few corners just have to keep my foot in.

2nd Race start

Get settled down and forget about the brake issue and looking in the rear view see James is making good progress. I give him a bit of room at Coppice then get on the back of three\four cars ( Mark No 10 Clio, 74 purple Alfa, Ktec clio and forget the other). Sat on the back of Mark for bit and clocked him going into corners a bit too fast and over cooking on the exit (laughing he said to me later he was trying to out run me) pass Mark then whilst passing number 74 on the straight to the Esses\Chicane I out brake myself and do a little track detour. Every one passes, a costly mistake. It’s not long after that the Safety car is deployed for an incident at the Esses. I get on the back of the pack and wait – relieved that my mistake has been redeemed and lap cars held in the pits. I should have come in the pits after the safety car. Sam calls me in on the next lap after, was in 11[SUP]th[/SUP] when Sam called me in and 15[SUP]th[/SUP] when she went out. 40 secs driver change over bit longer as I held Sam whilst I looked at the rear brakes – drip still there but not masses of fluid so sent her on her way. Watching the pit monitor Sam was 1min 31sec for 5 laps so give her a “get a move on” sign from the pit wall and she was soon running 1min27’s. Sam had a good session and enjoyed herself though disappointed the race ended when she had got on the back of Team Chase to try and overtake .2 of a sec gap on the finish line…finished 21[SUP]st[/SUP].

Another good day at the races……

Just seen Sam was held at the pit exit for minute on her qualifying session so there's a bit of forwarding to do on that video

Last edited by a moderator:
  Chase Racing Clio
Just had a chance to have a quick read and flick through your videos Pete, looking good.

You absolutely nailed that second start, you can see it on our video too. Ryan suffered a massive case of clutch slip on that second start, had to stick it in 2nd quite early...another job for our list. It was bloody close at the end too, I think that yellow flag saved us from your clutches, Sam was really motoring towards the end.

Look forward to the next event (even if it will be next year for us now).

p.s. We prefer "Chase Racing".....:race:

Nice work Pete/Sam. Your first time ever at Donnington wasn't it?

You sending the calipers back?

Doing Oulton?

Cheers Mark, first time ever at Donington, both thought the track was really good, loved the 40 car grid too and may go back in late Oct for a last track day (or Brands as have Easy Track credit left).

Don't know if this has been posted already - the 2nd start.

cliodoningtonstart_zps6f00e4f4.jpg

Rear callipers were off the Sunday after the race and sent back on the Monday . going to ring them in abit to see what's what.

No not doing Oulton - only planned to do 2-3 races this year, done three now and going to stick to that.

Car really does go well!

Thanks Dan - It feels good driving it too!

Had a call with Bigg Red earlier about my rear brake calipers, the wrong "O" ring was used on the hand brake mech, X.4mm instead of X.7mm. Refunded me some cash for the return etc. They should be back in a day or so, then fitted and monitored...

All in all I'd still recommend them as the service to me has been good and the problem sorted, though had I withdrawn from the Donington race becuse of it, may have been a different story....

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
that's pretty poor. You keep forgetting to ask me for these things Pete. I can get you anything like that very quickly and easily