ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

I know, though in my defence your honor - I'll post the short vid of me trying to get it into 1st - obviously never got it in though. I sort of knew something wasn't quite right but didn't have the time etc to go through a logical process to sort it out!

I'll stop well short of the start position get first and then go to the line next time. Which hopefully will be Cadwell - will know today if I can swap my weekend on call.

Should have fitted an auto box :p

yes - seem to be having issues with this stick shift at the moment!

FLOL! Oh well, Pete, at least you're back out there racing and have an engine that works. Mine is dying. Slowly. And with the imminent house move the clio has gone on the back burner.

VXR day looks good, and the tuition looked detailed which you sit always get at days like those.

Not a cheap fix either way as you've the same problem I had. Can't fault the VXR day one bit - maybe the decision to keep on the wet road tyres - but with 30 odd cars wanting to swap from wets to A048's would've taken a fair chunk out of the track time.

Cadwell entry went in yesterday and I've had confirmation back - the actual race numbers are quite low and only 2 from the MR 2 series are entering the Nippon class as well as their own 2 Mr 2 class races. So it could be tea and medals for all, as long as I don't mess something else up that is.

Got Cadwell details\Tickets yesterday.

Sign on 0745
Scrutineering 0815
Qualifying 0935
Race 1 1145
Race 2 1440

Was going to give the Cup a once over today but it started raining ...so I cut some grass instead;

ScreenHunter_02Aug241532_zpsb1b3e66a.jpg

Spent an hour or two going over the Cup yesterday, ready for Cadwell on Saturday 31st August. Nothing untoward found, just got the tyres to swap and get them back on tonight and we're ready.

Will try and get the Mallory report up tonight too.

Mallory Park French Trophy race 3rd August 2013

After sorting out the little jobs that testing at Cadwell produced we spent the Friday afternoon before the race testing at Mallory. Day was dry and left the set up as it was, medium to hard dampers and medium on the ARB, did drop the cold tyre pressures a bit as it was hot and didn't want my already worn TD tyres wearing out too quick. They remained at 28 hot for the rest of the sessions. Car was fine with the improvements post Cadwell, though engine oil temp stays around 120+ - running 10\60 so the hot temps are below the "60" range. I could run\fit an oil cooler, will see how it goes or maybe drop to 10\50 as the thicker oil (using 60) at 100 degrees could be a problem in its self. Lower the oil temp the lower grade of oil required which gives the same protection etc at 100 degrees. Or remove the oil temp gauge.

Took it easy for the first sessions and Sam finally felt ok in the car, Cadwell was a bit of a handful. Still had a bit of low down hesitation but nothing like before. Did two sessions each then went passenger less for one session each - I managed consistent 57's and Sam 59's - tyres were now 4 very worn out 195's. Ian Collins did comment on how worn they were lol. Like to get my monies worth!

The only headache from the day was the bonnet pins kept popping open, buy cheap buy twice...tie wrap used to hold the ring down and will replace over winter.

All in all now car tested and running sweet as - swapped the track wheels over to the race ones, 205's with a bit more rubber and removed the pax seat and sub frame. left the Cup and trailer with Tony and set off home.

Was quite a leisurely sign on and scrutineering to a late qualifying session, Sam started the session did 4 complete laps, maybe would left her out a bit longer but being caught up in traffic she was getting nowhere fast. I took over and ran straight into an empty track - 7 laps and never met another car, great! Managed to get the times to mid 55's and qualified in 8th.

Practice.

MalloryPractice03-08-2013_zps19bd3467.jpg

Bonnet strike pins....
MalloryPaddock03-08-2013_zps2b1f36dd.jpg

In between the Q session and start of race 1 Dan changed the (I can't remember what) which removed the low rev hesitation, though still there a bit when cold, up to temp it's fine.

Race 1

[video=youtube_share;5wfVF3k0FvY]http://youtu.be/5wfVF3k0FvY[/video]

For some reason didn't warm the car up to temp before race 1, went round to the start and the car was lumpy and oil temp was just over 50 degrees. Up to my start line, for the life of me couldn't find 1st gear, thought about going through gate to reverse, didn't. So when the lights went out was in 3rd and last. Not all was lost as the pack slowed round Gerrards so got passed the two back markers after the hairpin\devils elbow.

MalloryR1pic403-08-2013_zps6c3743f6.jpg

Silver pug next, lined him up into Gerrarrds, just before the 2nd apex powered up to take him on the exit as he moved of the inside curb.

MalloryR1pic203-08-2013_zps04b6ebff.jpg

Next the 197 and 182 (old ktec one?). I was always conscious of the cars in front getting away - and with a short race game over. Was just too nervous to pass the two of them together, although I had more than one opportunity. As they both started into Gerrards drew alongside the 182 to pass him on the inside and did the same to the 197 on the exit of Gerrards. I stayed on the inside for the esses\hairpin and knew the 197 was close behind\alongside going into the hair pin. Held my line just a bit to force his turn in late whilst not leaving a gap for the 182 to get up the inside..phew got away and then saw the next car into Gerrards as I exited the devil's elbow. Been messing around for too long. I did manage to gain a bit on the car in front but it was never going to happen in such a short race. Finished where I started, 8th.

Looking at the TSL timings all my laps were 55secs apart from the first lap and the two laps I took getting past the 197 and 182 (these were 57's) so in that respect happy with a fair amount of consistency.

Race 2

[video=youtube_share;OovsaNyF8X8]http://youtu.be/OovsaNyF8X8[/video]

Sam, with an up to temp car started in last place, an idea of what to do to get past the slower cars on the start, red lights out and not realizing lit up the front wheels and lost the drop on the back markers. Took a fair while to get past the back markers, got bumped by one of them out of the hairpin and settled into a good race. Lapping at around 57'secs, with a bit more experience passing slower cars will become easier.

MalloryR2pic403-08-2013_zpsc76079dd.jpg

MalloryR2pic203-08-2013_zpsd5dabffb.jpg

Car ran great for the whole day - even though I was ignoring the shift lights and changing too early most of the time, Sam was better and held the revs for a bit longer. Point noted, don't ignore the idiot lights.

182cup & 172 racecar
Glad you both had a great day, I know it's a bummer starting at the back, but it's all good practice at passing cars (cleanly lol).

Glad you both had a great day, I know it's a bummer starting at the back, but it's all good practice at passing cars (cleanly lol).

It was good to get out there again, hopefully no mistakes for me on Saturday!! Actually you're right, starting from the back is quite interesting and full of overtakes\cars...I did 10 laps in the race and didn't pass\see another car!

Excellent stuff Pete and Sam, enjoyed reading that. The car looks like its come a long way, surprised you aint running a oil cooler already. Are you running lightweight doors?

Thanks Sonny, yes since December 2011 it's totally changed - only the shell is original, from the car in the picture on page 1! No too doors, running a inter cooler under the oil filter.

I thought you had the same oil cooler as Tony?

Ah yes, but now got we've got a hotter engine so I guess it can't cope, not that I knew what the temps where before the engine was changed. I've got 3 more oil changes to go before I can change the oil to a 10\50 to see if the temps comes down any. Don't want to throw away the oil I bought...or fit an oil cooler (yet) if the 10\50 brings it down to 110 or so.

My oil runs at 115 and with a decent quality oil I wouldn't be worried until 130 but obviously its your engine so your choice. I would still run a cooler. Good write up too! See you Saturday :)

182cup & 172 racecar
My oil runs at 115 and with a decent quality oil I wouldn't be worried until 130 but obviously its your engine so your choice. I would still run a cooler. Good write up too! See you Saturday :)

Thought you were out, or are you betwen courses.

clio 172
Hi Pete,
I was in the 182 and was also held up by the 197 as he was braver on the brakes than me! Hopefully I didn't hold you up too much, and thanks for the clean overtake. Easy when you know how...

Good recovery Pete, And look at the power disparity between you and the 206, lol,

Ssssh, the 206 owner is already complaing about his 2000cc 138bhp and how we should change the classes in the FT. I did ask him why did he buy a 2ltr with only 138bhp..lol.

Cheers James, see you nice and early tomorrow.

Waiting for my steak cooking medium well FTL :(

Only one way to eat steak..

cooking-a-blue-steak1.jpg

Hi Pete,
I was in the 182 and was also held up by the 197 as he was braver on the brakes than me! Hopefully I didn't hold you up too much, and thanks for the clean overtake. Easy when you know how...
Hi Ian, think he may have done a bit before, as isn't the 197 for the Michelin cup - running along side (well, 1 or 2 laps behind) the Clio cups championship. Quite a heavy car.

Just watched you vids from the last race. Car seems to go well.

Good luck for the weekend.

Thanks Mark, looking forward to it!!

Unlucky regarding the seal mate... but congrats to Sam on the 3rd place. Looking forward to seeing you on one of the podium steps soon... :)

Thanks!

Seems I turned the Gopro off when it was already on for Sam's race - only got the q sessions on the card - think Nick and Mikes button pressing antics next door are rubbing off. She did at least 4 overtakes to gain 5 places too. A Mr2 pulled off in front of her round the hairpin after Hall bends, saw that in the rear camera footage of another car in front.

Maybe I'll turn the beeping mode\noise back on as that'll beep 3 odd times fast when turning off.

Going to have to move the GoPro to the front dash area on sunny days, as driving into the sun all you can see is the dark interior.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good drive by Sam. Bad luck on the seal.

I find the beeping really useful for knowing what the gopro is doing, I can't see the face from where it is mounted.

Have you tried the spot mode rather than centre to stop the exposure changing so much from light to dark? I also read somewhere that it sets some of the levels (can't remember which) at turn on so if you turn it on in one environment and then take it somewhere else to use they can be wrong. I was using mine for skiing and it just looked massively over exposed so did some research.