ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyota Supra Big Twin Turbo Build 1000ish BHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
We got a little bit more done on the Car yesterday, my dads back from Mexico so we started on it again.

Today was to fit the pistons & conrods into the block and connect to the crank.

Started off by measuring the conrod bolt length so we know if we ever take them out again if they have stretched too much over tolerance Etc.

Here is a photo of before we began.

agy4e5u9.jpg

Here is one of the pistons ready for fitting,

2y6u6ebe.jpg

Next we turned the crank to bottom dead centre and put the piston ring compressor on and started sliding the piston and rod into place, lightly tapping the top of the piston to move it down the bore.

evamujup.jpg

We got almost to the crank when it wouldn't move any further, after a bit of head scratching we realised the standard 2JZ oil squirters need slightly bending when you fit forged pistons as otherwise it fouls the piston on the bottom of the stroke, so we unbolted the oil squirter and bent it into correct position.

u7ymynuj.jpg

Once that was done the piston/rod moved all the way down and met the crank.
We plastiguaged the crank/conrod cap to make sure it was within Toyota measurements/tolerances and it was.

deheruhe.jpg

Once that was done we fitted the conrod cap along with acl bearing and torqued the cap upto 47ft/lbs as that's within the 45-50 range that's needed.

7uzegena.jpg

Now that was done that was one piston/rod fitted, here are 2 photos of one at bottom of it's stroke and the top of the stroke.

ytabegyq.jpg

nutedy9a.jpg

After doing this we decided to have a BBQ and some beers so the rest of the pistons will be fitted in the evenings this week!

Tomorrow the KW V3 coilovers will be turning up, meaning we can start fitting those too, thus-meaning we can finally get the car onto wheels rather than keeping it on the casters/dollys.

Steve

Last edited:

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Update

Over the last few days and also today we have managed to get more done on the engine.

The remaining 5 Pistons & Rods were fitted in the engine, and the same procedure was taken of measuring each Conrod bolt for future reference, plastiguaging the ACL bearings and then fitting the Conrod cap and Torquing up to 50 ft/lbs.

Here is a photo of the finished bottom end:

photo11_zpsd94b4f5d.jpg

And these are some photos from the top showing the Pistons:

photo21_zps5dc63a5a.jpg

photo21_zps5dc63a5a.jpg

Once the above was done, we cleaned up the Rear Crankshaft retainer and fitted a new OEM Oil seal to it as below:

photo12_zps892139e2.jpg

Next we ran gasket sealant in the grooves of the retainer and bolted this back onto the engine and the photo below show it's fitted:

photo22_zpsa72802a1.jpg

We next fitted a new stock OEM Oil pump:

photo5_zpse9c1e5a8.jpg

Before it could be fitted, we cleaned the mating surface on the engine block and fitted 2 new OEM O rings:

photo32_zps5266809e.jpg

We then ran a bead of gasket sealant on the rear of the Oil pump and bolted this back on the front of the engine block:

photo52_zps9b815455.jpg

This is where we have got up to as of this Saturday evening, and will continue on the engine tomorrow!

Also on Tuesday the KW V3 Coilovers finally turned up! so these will be fitted very soon too:

photo1_zpsc24bd249.jpg

photo3_zps0fe62809.jpg

Thanks, Steve

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Seriously awesome!! Been sub'd since the first post and this is immense!! SO much want!!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Fantastic stuff Steve!! This will be a amazing machine when its complete.

You do know that whenever you turn up to a CS meet from now on, all people will be speaking to you about will be the Supra!

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Great stuff! Can't wait to see it on wheels!

Coming along nicely!!!!

Seriously awesome!! Been sub'd since the first post and this is immense!! SO much want!!
Thanks Guys!

Fantastic stuff Steve!! This will be a amazing machine when its complete.

You do know that whenever you turn up to a CS meet from now on, all people will be speaking to you about will be the Supra!
Thanks Mark! We can't wait until it's complete and see what it's like that for sure.
Haha I hadn't thought of that! I think this coming Saturday is a CS meet so I will see if I can make it, however i'm not sure yet!

Update

Well as it's Bank Holiday we managed to get some more time to spend working on the car today!
We mainly concentrated on the engine again and get as much done on it as possible.

The last part we got done yesterday was fitting the new Oil Pump so today first of all we started on fitting the new OEM front Oil seal, here is a photo of it fitted;

photo25_zpsc3f08bfc.jpg

After this was installed we could fit the new Water Pump, like the Oil Pump we put gasket sealant all in the grooves in the rear of the new pump mated it upto the block and Torqued it up, here is it fitted;

photo15_zps49ca61ac.jpg

Once the Water Pump was fitted we could make a start on closing up the bottom end, my Dad had previously painted the Upper Sump pan in Aluminium silver paint so this was ready to be fitted along with the sump baffle plate and also the Oil pick up/strainer, here are a few photos below of the Upper sump pan fitted; as you can see we have had all of the bolts chrome plated too and these are fitted in the below photo's as well.

photo35_zps8df6689a.jpg

photo45_zpsce3da4ee.jpg

photo55_zps6fe57525.jpg

And here is a close-up photo of the Chrome Plated Sump bolts;

photo13_zps17cc2c63.jpg

Next was to fit the lower Sump Pan, we also had this Chrome Plated too! we ran gasket sealant on it then fitted it to the engine, here are a couple photo's of the Chromed Sump;

photo33_zps5bec3bdb.jpg

photo23_zpse13faac4.jpg

Once the lower Chromed Sump was fitted, we installed the Oil Level Sender with more Chrome plated bolts;

photo14_zpsc28373f5.jpg

also the Oil Pressure switch was fitted too;

photo53_zps742a33e0.jpg

After the above was done, we started on fitting the new Engine mounts, first was fitting the Brackets along with new Chrome bolts;

Drivers side;

photo24_zps457cb544.jpg

Passenger side;

photo43_zps8cdb0df2.jpg

after the brackets were bolted to the block, the new uprated TRD engine mounts could be fitted to the brackets!

Drivers side mount complete;

photo44_zps128d6055.jpg

Passenger side mount complete;

photo54_zpsc8eb0383.jpg

With the engine mounts now fitted, we installed the Crankshaft position sensor;

photo16_zpsaaa85883.jpg

Then after the above, we bolted up the Flywheel, this has been Balanced by Roland Alsop;

photo34_zps2aceb8a6.jpg

One of the last jobs of the day was to fit the uprated Billet Cambelt Tensioner, the standard part is a cast item and is prone to failure with high boost applications, so a Billet part was purchased and fitted;

photo26_zps579a011b.jpg

The last job of today, was to remove the standard Top mounts from the standard Shock absorbers as these need to be fitted with the new KW V3 coilovers, they got taken off and given a lick of paint in smooth black hammerite so they look better before they go on the Coilovers;

photo36_zps5a4bbe6c.jpg

This is where we got upto at the end of today, managed to get quite a lot done which was handy!

Here is a photo of where we finished;

photo46_zps4e93554c.jpg

Hopefully get some more done on the car over the coming week after work!

Thanks Steve

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Immense work, and knowledge! I'm just admiring, wish I knew what you were doing though!

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Immense work, and knowledge! I'm just admiring, wish I knew what you were doing though!

Thankyou mate, it's mainly my dad with all the knowledge and know-how! I know the basics but I'm learning a lot as we go along.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Doing a cracking job of this mate! I'm sure it'll be a credit to you both!
Thanks mate.

This looks immense, very nice work indeed. I actually feel impatient to see it finished :p
Haha! it's not the quickest of jobs! but i'm sure it will start to come together soon, next job is continue with the engine & then fit the Coilovers.

How come one rod got 47lbft on its bolts and the others all got 50?

Looking good so far :)
Thanks, all the Rods are done up to 47ft/lb, in the most recent post I couldn't be arsed to type out the range of "45-50 ft/lb" so just typed "50" they have all been done to the same ft/lb.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks, all the Rods are done up to 47ft/lb, in the most recent post I couldn't be arsed to type out the range of "45-50 ft/lb" so just typed "50" they have all been done to the same ft/lb.

Lol, was just teasing mate, TBH 47 or 50 are each as good as each other, only way to get really anal about it is with a stretch gauge, but doubt there is any need at the RPM you will run to anyway :)

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Will this be using an auto 'box when finished? The flywheel looks very similar to what's fitted to my mates dragsters which use auto's and trans brakes etc etc.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Lol, was just teasing mate, TBH 47 or 50 are each as good as each other, only way to get really anal about it is with a stretch gauge, but doubt there is any need at the RPM you will run to anyway :)
Haha thanks mate!

Will this be using an auto 'box when finished? The flywheel looks very similar to what's fitted to my mates dragsters which use auto's and trans brakes etc etc.
Yeah we are still using the stock autobox, however it's going to SRD to have their stage 4 uprated internals installed to withstand the Bhp/torque and also having fitted SRD/Syvecs flappy paddle system installed, so can change gear using paddles behind the steering wheel.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Sounds pretty good. Will you be playing with the torque converters stall rate then for big launches? My mates cars are awesome on track but he has to cruise at about 95-100 to lock the converter out on the road. It's no big deal other than using about 2 mpg.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Sounds pretty good. Will you be playing with the torque converters stall rate then for big launches? My mates cars are awesome on track but he has to cruise at about 95-100 to lock the converter out on the road. It's no big deal other than using about 2 mpg.

Hi mate, yeah we will be getting a different hi-stall converter, were deciding either between a 3200rpm or 3800rpm one, haven't decided on which, I'm going to Florida again in August so he might buy a stall converter From Titan Motorsports in Orlando, meaning I can pick it up for him whilst I'm over there! Works out alot cheaper than getting one in the UK.

Couple more parts have been bought for the build:

Carbon fibre Timing belt covers from Whifbitz;

Upper cover:

sydyzy5e.jpg

Lower cover:

qaby8e9e.jpg

And also a uprated Idler Pulley:

raquty7u.jpg

Thanks Steve

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Update

Managed to get a little bit more time at the weekend just gone to get a few more bits done on the car.
This weekend was mainly Coil overs being fitted, overall it went pretty easily apart from having to drill/file out the standard top mounts as they had a "flat" inside meaning the KW piston could not fit through the hole, so once all 4 top mounts had slightly been drilled out we could fit all 4 Coil overs.

Drivers front Fitted;

photo17_zps0106f157.jpg

This next photo shows the Coil over bolted on-to the Turret in the engine bay with the Turret ring also been Chrome-plated;

photo27_zpsb8d7e74a.jpg

Drivers side rear fitted;

photo37_zps98267333.jpg

Passenger side front fitted;

photo56_zps7b3861f9.jpg

Turret Chome Plated ring fitted;

photo47_zps7d965ae0.jpg

Passenger side rear fitted;

photo_zps0154f08f.jpg

As you can slightly see in some of the photo's Brakes are fitted, these are the standard J-spec TT brakes fitted just so we can get the car on the ground and rolling when we fit our old wheels, rather than have it on the casters/dolly's forever.
The new K-Sport Brakes are being ordered soon.

Also yesterday the Hot side of both Turbo's was dismantled and sent today to http://www.camcoat.com/ to be Ceramic Coated along with the HKS Manifold, so this should be back with us within a week hopefully.

The evenings this week will now be spent fitting the ARP L19 HeadBolts into the block along with the fitting of the Cylinder head now that the bottom end is fully complete.

Steve

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
KW coilovers really do look the part, I always find it amusing when I change the wheels on my mrs 182 that the shiniest part of the car no one ever normally sees, lol.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
That CamCoat place is not far from me. Their workmanship seems decent!
Yeah they're in Warrington looking on their site!
KW coilovers really do look the part, I always find it amusing when I change the wheels on my mrs 182 that the shiniest part of the car no one ever normally sees, lol.
Cheers mate, yeah we are really happy with the KW's, they seem like a very nice piece of kit and very easy to fit.
Hopefully a few more updates this evening/over the weekend!

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Update

Few more bits have progressed with the build since the last update.

The Hot Sides of both Turbo's have come back from Camcoat and have been coated, unfortunelty haven't got a photo of these at the moment.

The Veilside Plenum is currently in the process of being Polished up this is a very time consuming job;

plenum_zps9c5d1d99.jpg

The Cylinder head has also been CC'd and we have worked out the compression ratio, so now the cylinder head can been fitted to the block and the camshafts fitted and timed up in the coming days.

Since last update, we have managed to paint and fit the steering column and steering wheel, torque up the front suspension and subframe components and managed to get the car off the dolly's and onto it's standard wheels so we can roll it around easier and get it outside.

Also all the Glass has been re-fitted and bonded in, this was front screen, rear screen and the rear quarter windows.
All standard trim such as arch liners has also been put back on as well, here are a few photos;

Car looks high at the front as there's no engine in yet! and also these are not the wheels that will be on it when finished Lol, just put them on to roll the car around.

67B472D1-4592-49EB-A7ED-3285322F6A67_zpsnh1vtzfn.jpg

3EE0E04C-4F7F-4931-A731-CAAEB20608AD_zpstgwids65.jpg

DA308835-94F7-4CC9-9DF2-B177954AE05D_zpsd6nqipno.jpg

11D48EC4-7616-4387-8C5B-4E460AB49174_zpstjmigrqz.jpg

08E981C7-1A1A-49B5-A232-C77D1C879DA8_zpsitcnowvc.jpg

16D84290-71A0-4AEC-90A2-C6FD50FCD249_zpsf6ocic5u.jpg

BDC4ACAF-BCC6-46EC-8B1B-420BE3B91D20_zpsgl81do0z.jpg

1EFE7091-059B-494F-94D1-488CB9E5756C_zpsrrvsvduk.jpg

5DC67A55-A17F-4E29-8840-46A0E051BD8C_zps8c7j9ddi.jpg

Scuttle panel and wipers fitted;

D7699B83-DC95-4A61-8036-2142BFF10D06_zpsyjfz5xbb.jpg

We have also started fitting interior panels where we can, here are a few photos of the rear boot panels that we have covered in Alcantara fitted to the car;

F38BE936-2008-43F3-91FA-1C31B3AA3852_zps6cke9vmv.jpg

0C7BC07A-FA45-45A5-B6EC-61E97EB14C97_zpsbyeayppi.jpg

C3278051-6042-42C1-9C3B-019FC49F0A41_zpsiekhjrka.jpg

6EA8B271-911E-44C1-97E2-CD711ABA9C51_zpsqc49tccv.jpg

A Pillars in alcantara fitted;

9F0B8546-8B67-4F88-826A-631EB36AD26F_zpsiee4k0yl.jpg

Here you can see the relocated windscreen washer bottle filler neck in the boot;

54933B90-1862-4657-8B8B-4DFBEC2664A5_zpsydpyziud.jpg

And this photo you can see the relocated Fuse box, battery tray and ABS pump which sits behind the rear seats;

9BFEBF74-B2E5-4D7E-9F77-F0F249D33C0A_zpsejjurpva.jpg

The plans are to continue with fitting of the interior panels, such as doorcards, dashboard etc, this is all in the process of being covered at the moment and when it's done it will be fitted, and also get the cylinder head fitted to the block and then onto fitting of the turbo's and inlet side.

Thanks

Steve

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
All I can think of seeing those photos is F&F quotes. That said, this is a great build and car. Certainly more than I could afford, pal.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Few more bits done on the car recently, Cylinder head and head gasket fitted and torqued down.
After that the Camshafts have been installed and torqued down.
Also Titan Motorsport anodized cam pulleys fitted.
Also just finished mocking up the exhaust manifolds to the cylinder head.
Next job is to time up the Camshafts and get the inlet manifold and turbos mocked up too.
I'm heading to Florida next month so been asked by my dad to pick up some last few engine parts from Titan Motorsport.
Few photos.

y8emeze7.jpg

mejy6ava.jpg

uvydazyn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.