ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track pads

My DS2500 front pads are starting to crumble after 4 track days so time for new pads. They're decent pads but don't give me the bite I really want. I'm tempted by CL RC6 but have read stories about them eating paintwork/wheels.....I know it's a track car but I do try to keep it nice, so what's everyone running and opinions would be good?!
No EBC suggestions, I'd rather cut a hole and use my feet!

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
yep the rc8s are epic, tried both ds2500 and the 3000 but werent up to the job really.
tried the rc5s aswell and found them ok in the wet but went off too quick in the dry.
anyway if you managed to get 4 trackdays out of the ds2500 then maybe the rc6 could be a good shout (my ds2500 did 21/2 trackdays before they were metal)

yep the rc8s are epic, tried both ds2500 and the 3000 but werent up to the job really.
tried the rc5s aswell and found them ok in the wet but went off too quick in the dry.
anyway if you managed to get 4 trackdays out of the ds2500 then maybe the rc6 could be a good shout (my ds2500 did 21/2 trackdays before they were metal)

What about the reports of CL pads killing paintwork, have you had any issues?

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I've got rc6..yes..there is a lot of brake dust. As long as you keep on top of cleaning It will be ok, iron x is your friend

Track 172 Cup
I have the CL not sure which and they have destroyed my lovely white 2118's lol to be expected but thought I could keep them clean (next time they're getting done black), I couldn't haha passenger side is pretty fugly now drivers doesn't look too bad, rears are mint (standard pads) Paintwork not had any issues got a slight bit of staining round doors but nothing some elbow grease shouldn't sort (hopefully), They have done 4 days at Oulton park about 200 miles each day still look fine (not sure how much use they've actually had as they were on the car when i bought it)

Also should mention I'm VERY lazy with cleaning lol it's a track sl@g not a show queen.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
I have had 2 sets of CL now I have RC5 and they were good for first track day but then they crumbled under heavy braking at oulton when it was a hot day! I now run RC6 with brembo HC discs and they are amazing, never once had fade from them.
But yes a lot of dust comes from them which isn't ideal :( but great pads well worth it!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Aslong as you keep on top of the cleaning any pad will be okay. If left because 'racecar', expect 'racecar' looks

Thanks for the feedback:) I'm going to order some RC6, I always ironx the wheels a couple of days after a track day at the most, my fronts are already slightly stained from the 1st day when I had no cooling and the brakes were on fire! I do like to keep it looking as good as possible :)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the feedback:smile: I'm going to order some RC6, I always ironx the wheels a couple of days after a track day at the most, my fronts are already slightly stained from the 1st day when I had no cooling and the brakes were on fire! I do like to keep it looking as good as possible :smile:

Iron x is great stuff!

I should have added....I did have 4 pots/ DS3000 pads before I went back to the standard cailper RC6/HC setup and TBH they have been great, very impressed so far.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
How soon after a track day would you clean them, or are they so bad it won't make any difference!?

If you cleaned then with iron x as soon as you got back, I reckon you would be able to keep them looking good.

I have just done 1,200 miles ('Ring trip) I plan on odering some more Iron x Monday, so I'll report back with my findings.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
@MarkX if your wheels are white change them it's basically impossible to keep them clean haha
I have gone black now and clean them every track day and they are okay!

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I have got some RC6 to try this year,but I have been pleased with the DS2500's.
As for wheels I have a set of white and flouresent orange track wheels but I clean them and the car the day after each trackday always coat them with wheel sealant, i'm sure they will be slightly ruined but as long as they don't look fooked I don't mind, I would rather have some wheels that stand out and not be purfect close up than ones that just blend in with the car.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Lmao it seemed like the right colour choice at the time!
Yeah that's the same as me it suited the car then they just lost the colour and were horrible and was fed up f cleaning them!
But yeah great pads, just incase you were wondering I have standard discs in the back and my Rc5 pads not even wearing haha

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
The Ferodo Racing DS1.11 are certainly worth considering for the more track focused cars

Getting more popular on here and had nothing but praise for them. @Dan@SJM

100%. They're fitted to mine, and a few of my customer cars. They were starting to struggle a bit with mine yesterday though, but that is a given, they were pulling me from 150/155-40 for quarry at Combe.

Well the rc6 is crap compared to the ds1.11 that's why it's cheaper.

But for a standard engined, standard calipered stripped out Clio? The website Coefficient and heat range figures favour the CLs but always good to have real world reviews, I'm doing my best to keep costs down and £200 for pads doesn't sit well with me, but if the RC6 actually are crap then I'll have to rethink

Clio 182
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430065490.273650.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430065514.884856.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430065533.678490.jpg

With the pads I would recommend cooling ... It's cheap to do and I've had no probs since installing a simple deflector and £5 duct off ebay tiger sealed in the fog light surround.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
That looks pretty good. Have you a link to the parts, assuming you needed to make the holes for it to fit? I'm running ducts, seem to help the brakes a lot

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
For what will be my first track car, I'm thinking of just going with standard pads and HC brembo discs to begin with.
Is it worth upgrading the fluid, or just giving it regular changes on 4.1 fluid?

172 Cup
100%. They're fitted to mine, and a few of my customer cars. They were starting to struggle a bit with mine yesterday though, but that is a given, they were pulling me from 150/155-40 for quarry at Combe.
Wow what were u driving that could pull 155 into quarry I was in an evo 8 fq340 and that was only hitting 140 before braking for quarry!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I have been using Mintex 1155's in the 106 and they are superb. Very similar to the Ds3000's with a bit more bite.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
They make them for clio, infact the ones I use will fit a clio caliper as the 306 gti-6 brakes are the same pad as 172/182. I have done trackdays, sptints, the ring, hill climbs and not had any fade from them. They do like to squeal though, so might not be great if used on the road.