ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trying to save a £300 172 cup

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
You have to drill out to fit these though no? Isnt the standard hole for 4.8mm rivets
Yep. Just run an 8mm drill through the existing holes, then treat the hole and riv-nut away.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

172 cup
Great thread - I'll be following this one!
Cheers Mark

Borrowed a snap on scanner
I have a lambda in the post as it's showing pre cat fault
Another fault is the high speed fan is also showing an error
And an airbag error

I'm collecting loads of panels on Wednesday so more updates then

Also I found the other end to the random wire coming from my coil pack loom and I think I may have sorted the Clifford intellistart out fingers crossed on that one

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Its this thing that is fitted where your horns are.. View attachment 1469128

What is the point of this thing please?

It seemsa previous owner has fitted air filter and left this in place and had the ducting directed to the filter thinking it was a direct air feed :ROFLMAO:
I'd like to remove it but would like to know what it does first or if its needed?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
What is the point of this thing please?

It seemsa previous owner has fitted air filter and left this in place and had the ducting directed to the filter thinking it was a direct air feed [emoji23]
I'd like to remove it but would like to know what it does first or if its needed?
Tbf. I really haven't got a scooby doo.. all i know is the bin prefers it..

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yep. Just run an 8mm drill through the existing holes, then treat the hole and riv-nut away.

I've bought some m5 flanged button head bolts with some Form C washers. Plan on just using flanged serrated nylocs on the back, easy to buzz on and off with a rattle gun and a spanner.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I've bought some m5 flanged button head bolts with some Form C washers. Plan on just using flanged serrated nylocs on the back, easy to buzz on and off with a rattle gun and a spanner.
What ever suits you mate.. 1 handed job on 1 knee vs 2 handed job on both knees.. [emoji23]

172 cup
Looksike I might have found my fan issue

Any ideas on a new plug?

Looks like new sensor will need to be ordered too

40096df137d62dfe9a33da01202fe3b3.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I might have one of those plugs on an old loom in the garage

I'll have a look tonight and if you want I can clip it off with loads of excess wire for you mate :) Will send it with the clocks for nowt

172 cup
I might have one of those plugs on an old loom in the garage

I'll have a look tonight and if you want I can clip it off with loads of excess wire for you mate :) Will send it with the clocks for nowt
Messaged you

The fans work with it unplugged so that's a start

172 cup
Bleed the brakes with rbf 600 fluid

Found the throttle body needs to be replaced

Fitted the riv nuts for the skirts and straighten up the sills

Only had black paint hopefully that should keep the little rust at bay
9d3d1da9a02d1a5933e5b31caf503556.jpg
66176946a5fd6025b5f03022b54f4cda.jpg

172 cup
So I collected the used panels

2 doors
2 wings
Bonnet
front bumper
Headlights
Rad and fan as my fan was damaged

Fitted a lambda and Throttle body wich has cured the serv light and engine management lights on the dash

Finally no lights but still have a fast fan error but letting the car get to temp the fan kicks in so I'm glad it works

Cleaned and refitted the rear bumper

This weather is stopping play

A weird one on me my doors have only one lock on the passenger side the new doors have locks both sides I'm hoping I can swap my old passenger lock to my new driver door? And buy a cover for tbe passenger door as its not going to be used

b194700cd0075093b2f12346b40c5b3b.jpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Strangely my first 172 had a lock on both doors. Also both electric windows could be operated with one press of the button for up and down from the drivers side.But like @YorkshireKyle says , normally they're only on the passenger door.

172 cup
I did think it must be a Frenchie thing [emoji1787]

Forgot I also picked up a bargain alpine head unit for 20 quid a massive 65w x4 and 4v pre out

I ha e loads of old audio I have a jbl sub in a box and a few amps so might put a sub in the boot

All 4 speakers have been changed out 4 uprated ones so it should sound OK
f06b89bf3a2c632237017845b623cd28.jpg

Clio 172 Cup
Great progress - you’re putting the rest of us to shame.
I’ve got a few boxes of odds & sods so post if you need anything specific, I’d be happy to donate to the cause.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
If you're going to uprate the audio I'd consider adding some decent sound deadening and making sure nothing rattles.

My old Clio used to rattle like f**k even at moderate volumes.

172 cup
Great progress - you’re putting the rest of us to shame.
I’ve got a few boxes of odds & sods so post if you need anything specific, I’d be happy to donate to the cause.
Cheers Deano I'm actually really enjoying a new project

Things I need to get

Stock air box and pipework
The front section of the front wheel arch liners
Coolant temp sensor and plug
Centre vent
172 Turini's
The sticky stuff for the drin door cards

Then it's service and belts and a bit of paint work

MoT but I'll probably do that before wheels and belt/service/paint

71a65b08ce9fb3968d63b605ece626b3.jpg

172 cup
If you're going to uprate the audio I'd consider adding some decent sound deadening and making sure nothing rattles.

My old Clio used to rattle like f**k even at moderate volumes.
Good call but tbh at the moment I got so much more to be spending money on

ASH_7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Looks like you've made some serious progress already... I better get cracking on mine!! 😂

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
A cup is a little race car. No need for heavy audio. Just donate that Alpine to me

172 cup
I Did think that so what i will do is mount the amp to the Sub box that way I can remove the sub and amp easily the 4 speakers have replaced 4 speakers so basically the same again with the head unit like for like

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Impressive progress. Gonna be great when its finished. The centre vents are part of the lower dash and a right pain to swap over.

Keep up the progress 👍

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Why? personal experience??
Yeah they done me a map which the car drove like s**t, took it back various times they couldn't put it right, car kept going into limp mode, spent hours and hours in their waiting room, not ideal on a brand new motor so I got it flashed back to standard. They mapped my mates golf r and with 2000 miles on the clock it went bang, they said flash it back to standard it's undetectable and take it to vw under warranty, which he did, VW told him to do one as it had been remapped.

The amount of people I've spoke to since who have had issues is unreal too, under trays flying off cars due to not being fitted properly etc it seems their maps are fine I'd they are uploading another companies work such as Apr etc but I wouldn't use any of their own or cheap stuff they buy in. I paid £449 for the map on my car and I recon it would have drove better with a Tom Tom map of Belgium on the ECU.

/Rant over

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I had mine mapped there as well, Took it to EFI in the end and should of done so in the first place, Probably a post in my Megane thread somewhere with graphs [emoji1787]

172 cup
I saved a £600 once.
Owed me £2700 ish when finished.

i think a couple of grand was always on the cards ;)

Impressive progress. Gonna be great when its finished. The center vents are part of the lower dash and a right pain to swap over.

Keep up the progress 👍

yeah the fella breaking the cup said that hopefully he will dig it out for me
i have done a few dash swaps over the years a painstaking job

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
i think a couple of grand was always on the cards ;)

yeah the fella breaking the cup said that hopefully he will dig it out for me
i have done a few dash swaps over the years a painstaking job
Mate the dash has been out of my car so many times to do various things i fail to remember.. The Clio dash removal is an absolute doddle..

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I had mine mapped there as well, Took it to EFI in the end and should of done so in the first place, Probably a post in my Megane thread somewhere with graphs [emoji1787]

This was my map, it makes stock torque until after 2.5k then spikes up, when really a turbo diesel you want a big lump of torque at 1500rpm as i had on the previous car with the same engine! i knew the minute i looked at the graph it was going to drive horribly, they said just test it for a few days and any issues come back to us 😂
as if the power delivery wasnt bad enough it was in limp mode before i got out the industrial estate lol

anyway back to 172 cups!

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 73