ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo cup or fd3?

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Im having a dilemma, im looking for a new summer toy. Im torn between sticking a turbo or maybe a s/c on the cup and buying a cheap run around for the winter and pottering to the shops etc. The second option is buying a nicely sorted, high boost rx7 fd3 :D and using the cup for a run around.

What are people opinions? Will a boosted clio give me endless issues? or can they be reliable? I do love the cup and will probably keep it forever but its coming up nearly 4yrs of ownership and im now in a position to either boost the cup or buy something really fast.

Couple of pics:

IMG_20110518_00110.png

Scarborough_20110410_00030.png

20120509_203723.png

172 turbo 'cup'
I was in the same situation as you i ended up going for the boosted option 3 years ago, still have mine now and still love it .

Iv'e had a couple of little problem's like boost pipes coming off and snapped a couple of stud's on the manifold.

I could take you out for a spin in mine some time your not that far away.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
I was in the same situation as you i ended up going for the boosted option 3 years ago, still have mine now and still love it .

Iv'e had a couple of little problem's like boost pipes coming off and snapped a couple of stud's on the manifold.

I could take you out for a spin in mine some time your not that far away.

That would be awesome mate, you planning on attending any north east meets? my main problem is my wallet is burning a hole in pocket atm! i want boooost and im very impatient lmao.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Buy the S2000 in pic 3 ;)

Been offered to me and at a very nice mates rate deal but im after a turbo tbh the s2k is epic on vtec but takes far to much winding up, doesn't start pulling properly til 6.5/7k lol. Makes my cup seem like it has v8 torque in comparison.

172 turbo 'cup'
That would be awesome mate, you planning on attending any north east meets? my main problem is my wallet is burning a hole in pocket atm! i want boooost and im very impatient lmao.

Im planning on going to the one on the 3rd if the weather's ok im free most night's if you want to have a run out before then.

I know what you mean about being impatient im the same lol

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Im planning on going to the one on the 3rd if the weather's ok im free most night's if you want to have a run out before then.

I know what you mean about being impatient im the same lol

Aye spot on mate, ill let you know :) get paid at the end of the month so got some decisions to make. What power/torque you running?

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it.

The RX is certainly more special than a clio with a turbo slapped on it.

Only buy one if you can take the hassle they come with. Owning one is a bit like dating the neediest woman in the world.

If you're serious about them, sign up on MRC and FDUK, there's quite a few up for sale ATM.

A'Booo 172
I have an FD3s and a 172... 172 is a lot more practical! No warming up or cooling down, just jump in and drive... The Rx7 will burn oil, drink petrol and in general burn a hole in our pocket... But if you want something exciting, rare and flawlessly puts a smile from ear to ear, get the rx7! I wouldn't have anything else, but I am young and stupid and go for the stupid thrill option!

A'Booo 172
Oh and if you want big power look at a full rebuild first, or a 20b or if you have vault full of money quad rotor ;)

106GTI / NovaC20LET
I have an FD3s and a 172... 172 is a lot more practical! No warming up or cooling down, just jump in and drive... The Rx7 will burn oil, drink petrol and in general burn a hole in our pocket... But if you want something exciting, rare and flawlessly puts a smile from ear to ear, get the rx7! I wouldn't have anything else, but I am young and stupid and go for the stupid thrill option!

Im young and stupid to lol, well 25, not sure if you can call that young, certainly doesn't feel it lol. Got a max budget of around 10k for the car in less i see one that i must have for a little more. If i can get one that sounds like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eIIKKwjV0A it will take surgeons to remove the smile from my face lol.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Am I the only one who doesn't get pumping money like that into a car worth 2k?

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Am I the only one who doesn't get pumping money like that into a car worth 2k?

You only live once mate! Got plenty of time for been sensible later in life. You could say the same about anything... people go out spend 3k on a big fancy tv, half a year later its out of date and worth pennies in comparison to what you paid, thats just life. Buy what makes you happy and enjoy it :cool:

Clio 172 cup
For the cost of turboing your cup, you might as well buy a evo 8

You would have to be retarded to put thousands into making a very week car fast

A'Booo 172
Another car to consider is a twin turbo 2jz gte Supra IV, silly power and the best built engine ever. No tuning issues until you hit 500bhp and even people running 500bhp+ are running stock internals... Crazy engines... And a 3.0l straight six is lovely! My friends is sexy too!
525553_395137203854231_100000738653317_1188687_248355914_n.jpg

106GTI / NovaC20LET
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QlVUBFTrmjk

Its all about the quad rotor sound (only get to hear it in half way) - You can pick up FDs from 3k - 6k anything more is normally a decent spec which has been loaded with thousands!.. Unfortunately no matter how much you put in, they are not worth anything in comparison for resell, What do you want it for? fast road?

A summer toy mostly for fast road but occasional track use. Im not concerned with resale prices tbh id probably never sell it, i get very attached to my cars and treat them in a extremely anal way lmao. Will be serviced bang on the dot etc etc.

That Quad-rotor sounds gorgeous btw. That could be what i need.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Love supra's aswell! just always thought they are a little big, especially for where i live its mostly all b road blasting.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You only live once mate! Got plenty of time for been sensible later in life. You could say the same about anything... people go out spend 3k on a big fancy tv, half a year later its out of date and worth pennies in comparison to what you paid, thats just life. Buy what makes you happy and enjoy it :cool:

Retards spend 3k on tv's. I spend £500 on 50" Plasmas.

LMFAO. Served by the fringed one.

If you do consider an FD3S OP, then myself and MaLiCe on here also own them, should you need any advice. If I were to buy one again, I'd probably buy one that's been rebuilt in the UK by a reputable rotary tuner with an engine warranty. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Cheers gaz, im 99% certain ill be getting a 7 and hopefully within the next few weeks so will swing you a pm if thats cool? Oh and gally best learn to spend cash from time to time(girls like it), or you'll be a virgin forever. Although i imagine its hard on a maccy d's wage :)

Clio 172 cup
How much do you think it costs to turbo a cup?

Atleast 3-4 times what the actual cars worth

Stupid stupid idea.

Getting a turbo conversion done is one thing
Then the car will show its weak points, clutch, gearbox, brakes, tyres, drive shafts, intercooler, and endless endless mapping.

When you have spent what could have been a house deposit on getting it spot on and running perfect, you will then realise your car is still just a clio and worth f**k all so you will break it for parts for a small fraction of what u originally paid.

Seen this all happen a million times

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and gally best learn to spend cash from time to time(girls like it), or you'll be a virgin forever. Although i imagine its hard on a maccy d's wage :)

Lols. Quite.

Come back and see me in a couple of years. I'm sure you'll realise how mental you were spending that kind of money on modding a car worth a fraction of the cost.

pb ph2 172
My mates uk spec supra is for sale currently running 1.4bar of boost and a dyno proven 723bhp No expense spared build

Mental 172 Cup

Stupid stupid idea.

Then the car will show its weak points, clutch, gearbox, brakes, tyres, drive shafts, intercooler, and endless endless mapping.

When you have spent what could have been a house deposit on getting it spot on and running perfect, you will then realise your car is still just a clio and worth f**k all so you will break it for parts for a small fraction of what u originally paid.

Lols. Quite.

Come back and see me in a couple of years. I'm sure you'll realise how mental you were spending that kind of money on modding a car worth a fraction of the cost.

But surely modifying a car is a more personal thing? I dunno about you lot but I don't modify my car for anyone else but myself.. I couldn't care what anyone else says.. To me having a unique car is much better then having a car you could see pull up next to you at the lights.. All personal opinion of course.

3-4 time what car is worth is the max you could spend doing a turbo conversion properly an reliably.. Gearbox included.. It's all good fun and experience aswell as playing with different engines..

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
one of my best mates has an awesome RX7, but after spending enough hours/days/weeks helping out on the thing and watching the money it has cost. i could never in a million years consider one. when they work they are an awesome piece of kit, he has now got his to a level where it can hopefully just be enjoyed with no issues now. not for me though! single figure mpg scares me!

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Single figures are for heroes! Im not after a daily, i want a absolute weapon lol. Prob only gonna insure it June, July and August in less i can get a decent multi car deal or something.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG

Stupid stupid idea.

Rubbish.