ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twingo 172

R5 GTT
Andrew, Fantastic read about time you posted it up on here fantastic read on RTOC.

Looks like my old ECU is getting around LOL

Will you be attending RTOC national Day in the twingo??

There's already a german conversion. You know Almi's Twingo? Maybe he's supporting you with this;).

I do know it, but I've never spoken to him. His installation is quite different. For example he modified the bonnet to clear the engine, he also removed the whole of the fresh air vent.:)

There's already a german conversion. You know Almi's Twingo? Maybe he's supporting you with this;).

I see he's made a bit of a thread

http://www.twingotuningforum.de/almis-twingo-t-9827.html

that's the first time I've seen the engine in such detail, it's amazing how much further forward his engine leans - compare the writing on the plenum relative to the scuttle lip with mine. I guess that's why he had to modify the exhaust manifold.

Apart from choice of engine and chassis I don't think we agree much in the taste department :S

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I see he's made a bit of a thread

http://www.twingotuningforum.de/almis-twingo-t-9827.html

that's the first time I've seen the engine in such detail, it's amazing how much further forward his engine leans - compare the writing on the plenum relative to the scuttle lip with mine. I guess that's why he had to modify the exhaust manifold.

Apart from choice of engine and chassis I don't think we agree much in the taste department :S

Agree. It looks pretty crap to be fair. Being subtle (such as what yours is) is the best way for this sort of conversion IMO. This will suprise ALOT of people

ValverInBits
That german conversion is exactly the wrong way to do it IMO.

Mind me asking what mounts have been used for this conversion and how much fabrication was required?

Mind me asking what mounts have been used for this conversion and how much fabrication was required?

not at all.

The front gearbox mount is standard Twingo, albeit filled with Tigerseal to stiffen it up.

The front engine mount keeps the Twingo bush (filled) and attachment to the chassis, but from there to the engine is all fabricated.

The rear gearbox mount is all fabricated, but based around the largest powerflex universal bush.

Finally managed to get a few more hours spannering today. Some good news, mostly bad :S

I started certain that I'd be able to shorten the driveshaft, I was sure it was tubular, so I should be able to to something with it. I took a hacksaw to it, but found it's made of tough stuff. I dropped it onto the mill to attack it with something more manly... plenty of sparks and smoke as it broke through the toughened shell to find that it's solid. I can't do much with that, so I'm going to have to get a custom shaft made :dapprove: Any suggestions as to who can make one PDQ gratefully received.

I've been trying to sort a fan that fits, the 172 one isn't close, but the Twingo one looked like it could fit with a new bracket. Whist rummaging through the shed looking for inspiration I came across an old R5 GTT fan, hmm, might fit.... rotate it 90deg and it bolts straight on to the 172 rad :D. I refitted the rad and front panel to confirm that it clears and joy of joys, it's perfect. I just need to sort out the wiring.

fan.jpg

I spent the rest of the time dodging rain, refitting the RH headlamp, wiring, front panel and bonnet release. The bumper needed a trim to clear the rad, but dropped on relatively easily.

I've stopped now, but it looks much more like a car even if 2 major jobs remain: sort out the water hoses, and sort out a driveshaft.

GB Engineering in Nantwich (Tel: 01270 841081)

They made some nice shafts up for Mark One on here for his 20vt conversion - he made the mock ups to the length he wanted and they made the final ones...

P1010146.jpg

P1010147.jpg

Might be of some use!

ValverInBits
As jord said. GB Engineering in Nantwich, think I spoke to Geoff. They took a while, but if you keep on the phone to them they'll come quicker.

Alternatively theres reco-prop in luton - found in the back of PPC. I'm pleased with my shafts from GB and they were good value due to them taking a while and sending me the wrong shafts to start with. Nice guy tho.

ValverInBits
As jord said. GB Engineering in Nantwich, think I spoke to Geoff. They took a while, but if you keep on the phone to them they'll come quicker.

Alternatively theres reco-prop in luton - found in the back of PPC. I'm pleased with my shafts from GB and they were good value due to them taking a while and sending me the wrong shafts to start with. Nice guy tho.

Thinking about it, will 172 CVs fit on the twingo 1.2 shaft? Worth a look

Another question...

Now that I have a GTT fan fitted with a couple of wires hanging off the back I need to sort out the wiring. Have the conversion guys kept the 172 resistor to use the fan as 2 speed, or just wired it up like on the original (in this case GTT) car?

I was going to wire up a single speed (slim) fan at one point...basically this is how I saw it worked...

Two outputs on the 172 ECU going to relaybox...one high-speed one low-speed. I was just going to wire them both together as a trigger for a single normal relay (so the fan would come on if the ECU decided it had to be, regardless of low or high speed), then run my fan from that relay. No reason why that shouldnt work...

ValverInBits
I've never played with 172 shafts but I don't see why they should've changed from the MK1 design. My MK1 shafts had a circlip - see the pics for the clip groove on the left end of those shafts. With the shaft in a vice, I used a very wide flathead and twisted it between the circlip lugs to open it out. Then holding that there, a few sharp taps on the CV eased it off.
The circlip stays loose inside the CV

Good luck with it. Great project.

I've never played with 172 shafts but I don't see why they should've changed from the MK1 design. My MK1 shafts had a circlip - see the pics for the clip groove on the left end of those shafts. With the shaft in a vice, I used a very wide flathead and twisted it between the circlip lugs to open it out. Then holding that there, a few sharp taps on the CV eased it off.

I'll have a look might need to dig a bit more grease out :)

I got the CV off the 172 shaft in the way you described, so cheers for that :D

unfortunately when I stripped the twingo shaft apart I found that the outer joint is part of the shaft. So that's a no go then :(

I managed to get a bit of generals tidying done, taping, tyrapping, tightening nuts, that kind of stuff.

Are you taking this to Mallory with RTOC in august Andy? Would be good to have a look over it!

if

a) I've got it running by then

and

b) I've not broken it by then

I'm still hoping to be on the road this month, looks a bit tight though as I'm going away for a week.