ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Updates to my 106 GTI

120d M Sport
Hi,

Bought this back in November, found for me on autotrader by Danny_172 !

Since then I've been slowly bringing it up to standard, work carried out so far including:

Cambelt change
New lower arms
New droplinks,
266mm brake set up
Green filter for the ecosse induction
2 oil and filter changes by myself and a set of new spark plugs

The car has been fantastic, suprisingly solid and reliable, (so far!) needing nothing other than general maintenance and consumables.

Anyway, pics:

IMG_0189.jpg

DSCF2965.jpg

DSCF2959.jpg

DSCF2958.jpg

Latest addition has been a 3" pugsport exhaust to replace the previous Magnex catback, which I'm slowly growing to.

DSCF2950.jpg

DSCF2951.jpg

Last edited:
  120d M Sport
Agree on the matching tyres, thats up next along with a refurb (in standard silver)

Not sure if I can justify messing with the suspension, lookswise it could do with lowering but it drives great as it is.

330i. E30 Touring.
Bilstein B8's and Faulkner -45mm springs will be a million times better.

I<3 Pugsport exhausts. Fit perfectly, properly light and sound amazing!

Megane 225 F1
I would love a 106 tbh. Looking like that as well. Pug drove past with a pugsport on earlier and I wished my Clio sounded like that, but alas, it won't.

120d M Sport
Yeah I'm coming round to the exhaust....found it a bit loud at first, but it's winning me over now it's started popping and banging!

Budgie, how good is the above setup? At the moment it glides over bumpy roads and corners beautifully. My thinking is, if it aint broke, dont fix it!

330i. E30 Touring.
While standard is pretty damn epic, they're a different beast on Bilsteins. Slightly firmer, but a million times better. Check out Sir_Dave's VTS thread for the stance & pics on track! You'll never look back.

Plus, £40 for the springs and £180 for the shocks. Doddle to fit. Bargain.

120d M Sport
I would love a 106 tbh. Looking like that as well. Pug drove past with a pugsport on earlier and I wished my Clio sounded like that, but alas, it won't.

Cheers. Yeah the noise it makes for just a decat exhaust and ecosse induction kit is impressive, if a bit asbo :eek:

I'd reccomend one to anyone.

120d M Sport
While standard is pretty damn epic, they're a different beast on Bilsteins. Slightly firmer, but a million times better. Check out Sir_Dave's VTS thread for the stance & pics on track! You'll never look back.

Plus, £40 for the springs and £180 for the shocks. Doddle to fit. Bargain.

The looks win me over no doubt! Dave said the same thing, has given me some useful advice, but I think he's a bit more hardcore than me - I value my spine!

I've not seen a set of Bilsteins fetching that little, plus don't forget the torsion bar would have to be matched. You're a bad influence!

Mine's up for sale on Monday, Rob ;) haha

Looks great Alex! I know what you mean about not wanting to ***** around with suspension - it's so damn good as standard, why mess with it?!

330i. E30 Touring.
I love this, I'd actually have a 106 at the moment, really liking them for some reason.

I'd spend a bloody fortune on it though

It's impossible to spend a fortune on these compared with Clios.. Everything is cheaper. A set of Newman Ph3's or Catcams 708's are between £200-50, FFS! The equivalant set for a Clio would be £450.

Look again at Dave's VTS- that was built for half the price of any equal spec'd Clio..

For you, Rob- Keep the Clio. Much nicer to drive daily, imo.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looks epic. Let me know if you ever want to sell it ;)

Bilstein B8's & Faulkner -35mm are like the standard setup, but just a little firmer. Could quite easily be OEM tbh.

You got the girls Pugsport btw, the Hero's choice is the 2" tailpipe ...

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Was looking at parts for these the other night because my mate has just bought a yellow one, and as above it is silly cheap to mod these. First thing i'd buy though is a cage, the safety reputation of these things scare the crap out of me and lets face it you're not going to pootle along everywhere!

120d M Sport
Looks epic. Let me know if you ever want to sell it ;)

Bilstein B8's & Faulkner -35mm are like the standard setup, but just a little firmer. Could quite easily be OEM tbh.

You got the girls Pugsport btw, the Hero's choice is the 2" tailpipe ...

You and Budgie are a bad influence on my wallet...reconsidering it again now!

And I knew you'd say that about the Pugsport lol! Liked the trademark raspy sound but wasn't sold on the steel condom appearance of the 2" :rasp: !

But yes if I do sell up I'd give you a shout. Won't be anytime in the next 12 months however.

Last edited:
  182 Ly ff.
I had a gti in the same colour! Loved every minute of it. Great motor. Had magnex on but was shi!. Kept splitting by the middle box.

120d M Sport
B8's and falken springs :)

Your looks a nice example.

Tom

Looks mint Tom, been following your project. Sits well, how do you find the ride and handling?

I had a gti in the same colour! Loved every minute of it. Great motor. Had magnex on but was shi!. Kept splitting by the middle box.

Agree on all counts there! Just took my magnex off, didnt have any problems like that but the middle box would hit the underside of the car when cold and make a horrible noise.

Clio 182 full fat
Looks mint Tom, been following your project. Sits well, how do you find the ride and handling?

Completely different animal with the suspension IMO, its boaty on the standard suspension. It feels you with alot confidence. No good on down a country lane, but good on backroads and track. Will be moving over to coilovers at some point as its literally for track:)

ph1 track weapon
makes me miss mine. only owned it a month, but got offered a chunk more than i paid for it so let it go. kinda want another now!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Ooft, nice work mate. Still enjoying it?

Pugsport <3

120d M Sport
Yeah loving it mate, been a superb car so far!

Dave and Budgie have got me re-thinking the lowering situation!

330i. E30 Touring.
Do it- you won't regret it..

I take it Blondey is the same one off 106OC who had the luminous yellow bits?

120d M Sport
Only going subtle though! Just purchased some Eibach pro springs for a bargain sum of £40 (30mm) to be paired with some Bilstein B4's and lowered 30mm at the rear.

Someone Dave set me onto from Saxperience (Willsy) is sorting the lowering all round for £100 all in, happy with that!

Luminous yellow bits, are we talking car parts here ;) lol !

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Only just looked for your thread, I hear you're selling up? Think one of these will be my next car, going to need a daily derv and toy and I can't bring myself to strip the Mk5 lol!

120d M Sport
Hi Rhys. Yep, got someone coming on Sunday from Pompey so I imagine it will be going :( Had a lot of interest on it...

It's a wicked car and every time I drive it I think am I doing the right thing, but the time has come to own a Renaultsport now.

A worthwhile upgrade mate, quite a bit quicker than the MK5 and definetely a better handler...doesn't feel quite as firm as the Fiesta which allows u to push it more if that makes sense. Also loads more scope for tinkering with them if you're that way inclined...

More recent pics for anyone interested, has been lowered since these shots too:

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

Showing off my 266mm brake upgrade and freshly refurbed standard rims:

IMG_0200.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's a cracker this one. Best of luck with the sale.

What Renaultsport are you looking for? Hopefully a clio, and going off your taste in cars previously I'd say either ph1, Cup, Trophy.