ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

vee vs alfa 147 gta

clio rs
ok few days ago i didnt even know wat an alfa 147 gta is. Iv never been keen on the 147 shape.
Till i meet up with an old mate at the pump.
we got talking and this afla was a gta 3.0 v6 so it got my attension, was looking abit sporty for a standard car. So i askd for a quick spin, which he kindly did.
I have to say this afla was very fast, i loved it. The leather seats were class. The bose system was crisp. The performace was out of the world.
Iv never been in a clio v6, but id the suprised if its faster. Iv been in a bmw e36 m3 and i think the alfa is faster. jumping back in my 172cup felt like a micra.
Anyway how much this afla gta compare in performance to a clio v6.
Iv been looking at these 147 gta on ph and ebay, they seen to be selling and getting alot of bids, so they must be a good buy

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Doubt very much an Alfa 147 GTA would be enough to hassle an M3.

The Clio V6 is better matched, performance is almost identical

MCS R56
I reckon they'd be pretty close but that's a guess. Not sure if the Alfa handles that well but certainly quick in a straight line.

Cup would drop them both!

Clio 172 RS2
I like the 147 GTA a lot...
Especially in Pearlwhite!

Yes the interior is stupendous with that leather and the styling, italians have a flair for that.
Like our RS the GTA benefits over the standard model, due to the revised bumpers, wider fronttrack (blistered fenders), sills and so on.

Still choose a RS budgetwise...

Not sure if a Cup would drop a GTA (3.0 V6)... like a Cup would drop a Clio V6!

The GTA was one of the fastest fwd cars around. I like them a lot (but i'm not overly keen on alfa interiors) 0-60 on them is about 6 secs dead iirc.
As whether a vee would stand up to one or not, I doubt there would be much in it really.

I also doubt very much that a gta would hassle an M3.

For the money the GTA is a nice car, there was one on PH the other week, pearl white, mapped up, exhaust etc & tbh it looked ace, it had sat nav too, it sold in only a day.

Golf 7R
147 GTA is similar on paper to a Vee. Faster than a Cup, and slower than an M3. Given the choice i'd own the GTA.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
147 gta for me (obviously) believe it or not more exclusive than a vee, (396 came into uk, probably only 30 odd in nuvola white) performance will be very similar, vee will be more fun if you are daring enough but alfa engine sounds unbelievable.
A few things to look for on a gta is, Cambelt needs replaced every 3 yrs to be on the safe side, diffs are weak so upgrade to a q2 LSD completely transforms the handling... you can actually power through corners! and try and get one with the 330mm brake kit (2004 onwards) some pre2004 have them as a warranty upgrade as the original 305mm ones were warping,
heres a link to a fellas i know, just listen to it -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EsNYEG68VM

any more q's?

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
There was a Top Gear or some magazine test on the Alfa GTA, Clio V6 255 and Golf VR6.. Was quite an interesting and good 'like for like' test iirc. The Clio fared rather well over all.. ;)

Love the look of the seats and general interior in the Alfa.. League's better than the Clio.. I looked at one when they first came out.. but just knew the depreciation would be catastrophic on the Alfa, which is a shame, because they're a great looking car.
Out of the 3 mentioned above, I'd still have the Clio as my first choice, followed by the Alfa and forget the VR6.. I'll take a 172 cup as third choice I think.. lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Thought the alfa was a 3.2...With autodelta boring it out to 3.7!!

I live the GTA alot.

Clio v6 & Atom 300
147 GTA's are lovely.

The exterior & interior look lovely. :cool:

Love the engine too!:cool:

But you stuggle to get the power down!:(

The Vee can put 250BHP down.;)

Both cool cars tho!

Peter:)

Clio v6 & Atom 300
147 gta for me (obviously) believe it or not more exclusive than a vee, (396 came into uk, probably only 30 odd in nuvola white) performance will be very similar, vee will be more fun if you are daring enough but alfa engine sounds unbelievable.
A few things to look for on a gta is, Cambelt needs replaced every 3 yrs to be on the safe side, diffs are weak so upgrade to a q2 LSD completely transforms the handling... you can actually power through corners! and try and get one with the 330mm brake kit (2004 onwards) some pre2004 have them as a warranty upgrade as the original 305mm ones were warping,
heres a link to a fellas i know, just listen to it -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EsNYEG68VM

any more q's?

Thats more than the official UK import figures for the mk2 Vee old boy!;)

Close but no cigar!

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
There was a Top Gear or some magazine test on the Alfa GTA, Clio V6 255 and Golf VR6.. Was quite an interesting and good 'like for like' test iirc. The Clio fared rather well over all.. ;)

Love the look of the seats and general interior in the Alfa.. League's better than the Clio.. I looked at one when they first came out.. but just knew the depreciation would be catastrophic on the Alfa, which is a shame, because they're a great looking car.
Out of the 3 mentioned above, I'd still have the Clio as my first choice, followed by the Alfa and forget the VR6.. I'll take a 172 cup as third choice I think.. lol

yup vr6 is not in the same league.. r32 is tho

147 GTA's are lovely.

The exterior & interior look lovely. :cool:

Love the engine too!:cool:

But you stuggle to get the power down!:(

The Vee can put 250BHP down.;)

Both cool cars tho!

very well put

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
yup vr6 is not in the same league.. r32 is tho

Sorry Jamie.. your absolutely right, I knew it didnt look right when I wrote it. r32 is what I meant, and I STILL wouldn't have one. I can keep up with them in my 172.. :) Just.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
One of the problems i found with the alfa was the rate of wear, The seats/lether, steeringwheel buttons, pedals etc. I went to see a 54plate in 2006 and it was fcked, with only 23k on the clock!

The autodelta GTA they had on top gear was mint (the show where Paul Mckenna hypnotised Hammond) I watched it the other day. Cracking car !

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Sorry Jamie.. your absolutely right, I knew it didnt look right when I wrote it. r32 is what I meant, and I STILL wouldn't have one. I can keep up with them in my 172.. :) Just.

lol! Shaun's right food...Not to be messed with! :p

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
yeah just depends on owner i guess, the drivers seat bolster is the main concern on mine with 55k but its not what i wouldnt expect from another motor of similar age and mileage

I think the seats on them look to be proper arm chairs, the bolsters look massive, do they hold you in/support you well ?

I love the GTA (Jamie I mentioned to you a while back & asked some questions on them) I just can't get my head around alfa interiors, they look way too 'over engineered' to me (if that makes sense ?)

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
It has the upgraded Q2 LSD, eibachs, 330mm grooved front discs and ebc pads, cobra backbox... nothing touched on the engine yet though... i will ratch some pics out

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Black or red would be my colour choice I think. Really like Nuvelo, but reminds me of the pearlecent white used by Renault for R5 GTt's and Alpine GTA's which I think its best suited to. Fond memories of years gone past.. lol

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
I think the seats on them look to be proper arm chairs, the bolsters look massive, do they hold you in/support you well ?

I love the GTA (Jamie I mentioned to you a while back & asked some questions on them) I just can't get my head around alfa interiors, they look way too 'over engineered' to me (if that makes sense ?)

the seats can look overfussy to some i guess, but thats italians for ya :rolleyes:
the bolsters probably dont do a good enough job for general RS clio drivers :eek: meaning they are supportive but to me the a midway between a good recaro and a chesterfield :approve:... ideal for touring and not bad for thrashing it about either

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
th_maygtapics002.gif

th_maygtapics003.gif

th_maygtapics004.gif

th_maygtapics006.gif

th_sillothrun2.gif

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
the last pics was how it looked when i first got it in december... first pics are more recent

Minter ! I remember your car now. I saw it on PH for slae a while ago (I recognise the reg plate) I quite like it with the mutli spokes on it (i'm a die hard tele dial fan usually)

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
thanks fellas,
on my list of other stuff to do is -
10-15mm wheel spacers
stainless weichers strut brace,
braided hoses
new exhaust system
decent filter
and remap...
hmmmmph dam you credit crunch