ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very unsteady 172.

Help please guys and gals.
My car in the last few days feels very unsteady. When driving even in a straight line, it feels as tho it is on ice. Car drifts all over and feels dangerous. I need new tyres fitting on the rear, but surely this can't be the problem. It feels as tho a wheel at the back is buckled. Feels awful when turning, especially to the left, it drifts around roundabouts and feels like something is about to snap. Anyone had a similar problem? It got serviced a few weeks ago and was warned that one wheel had one wheel locating pin missing, but was told it should still be fine. Anyone help please, i'm driving to Cumbria on thurs which is 160 miles away, and i want to get there safe.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
have you checked the pressures in the wheels, or for stones in the wheels, also check the wheel bolts are tights, could just be a broken, leaking shock

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
dont know what a wheel locating pin is. have u got standard wheels or others, if you got others, then maybe the spiggot is missing, and the wheel is off center

182 Cup
Help please guys and gals.
My car in the last few days feels very unsteady. When driving even in a straight line, it feels as tho it is on ice. Car drifts all over and feels dangerous. I need new tyres fitting on the rear, but surely this can't be the problem. It feels as tho a wheel at the back is buckled. Feels awful when turning, especially to the left, it drifts around roundabouts and feels like something is about to snap. Anyone had a similar problem? It got serviced a few weeks ago and was warned that one wheel had one wheel locating pin missing, but was told it should still be fine. Anyone help please, i'm driving to Cumbria on thurs which is 160 miles away, and i want to get there safe.

I had a problem with my last Clio in that when driving along in a straight line it would suddenly veer off to the right. Rather scary at times, turned out the right spring had somehow popped out of the shock a bit.
Could be worth a look,

Breaking A 172 Replica
I had this problem and it turned out just to be the wheel bolts were lose.

Give them a good tighten.

Sam

Thanks for the fast replies.
The wheels are not standard, still 16's tho. Have had them on for over 2 years.

Got Apex springs only fitted early last year. Maybe the spring has popped out the shocker, will the tyre place be able to tell me?

The tyre pressures are fine, i check them often and did so a couple of weeks ago, and stone free.

Can i see if the spiggot is missing, where do i look?

My new rear tyres will be put on this dinner hopefully, so will see how ride is after the weheels will be tightened at the garage, and will ask them to checks suspension etc.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
also check for any play in the steering rack, as mine felt it would 'bite' and chuck me off the road at any minute.......

had a new rack on mine :(