ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water pouring in from the roof!

Driving home after being to the cinema tonight, a few yards down the road i get covered in water. Looked up and noticed water was pouring out of the gap between the central locking sensor and the interior light switch. I got p**s wet through, as did my girlfriend, and now my central locking doesnt work either. Its been raining all day so im assuming it got in through the sunroof and somehow found its way into the electrics... Has this happened to anyone else? I hope its not expensive to fix. Chuffin french!

This has happened to practically all of us early mk1 owners. Mine does it loads, i still havent sorted it - Im dreading getting in there tomorrow now as the rain doesnt look like letting up.

There are plenty of posts on here about people cleaing their sunroof seals, using sealant, etc etc. Best bet is to search for it.

[Edited by enayeseekay on 04 October 2004 at 12:07am]

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Its coming in through the arial hole in the roof... common fault...

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 04 October 2004

Its coming in through the arial hole in the roof... common fault...
Well, it might be.. but mine was sunroof..

Sunroof is common as they lift up from the roof.. but yea, check the aerial first, but Im thinking its probably the sunroof..

Glad I dont have one! I like the light they let in.. and they are great in the summer, but now.. winters coming.. heh. Snows the worse, cus its settles then slowly melts.. onto yer head.

don't

mine was also sunroof, had lifted up, the outer outer rubber part that joins 2 the roof, what had happened was a small gap had gone allt he way around

i used sealant and went all the way round it and now its stopped leaking

will get a pic 2nite when im home from work if u dont know where i mean

got urself some sealant from halfords or sumwhere though, tube should be £3 max m8

has it ever caused anyones central locking to break? the locking still works, just cant use the button on my key anymore, have to use the old fashioned keyhole! so sad :( ill have that pic essix dave if your offering, im not entirely sure where you mean. how would i tell where its leaking from though, sunroof or aerial? and just any ordinary clear waterproof sealant?

yes, my central locking has stopped working (aye, the remote part like yours) as the water was corroding the circuitboard in the roof console. If its not too bad you can give it a good clean and it should work again. Best to remove it until you get the roof sealed properly - mine was playing havoc when i attempted to use the button on the key (i.e alarm going off etc...

My central locking died as a result of the leaking sunroof/ariel... but only because i got annoyed at getting constantly soaked one time, that i punched the roof where the circuit board is, thus completely knackering it up.. doh.

don't

lol on my rsi it started playing havoc with my sunroof leccy switch, water would collect in there then dump on my head when i went round corners, quite funny when passenger gets soaked

although not so funny when it happened when i was driving 2 work at 8am in a nice clean shirt :-(

ill get pic up 4 ya later, prob about 6pm ish hopefully

to check if mine was leaking from arial i pulled down the interior light area and took out the bulbs and felt up 2 where the arial comes through, mine was dry all around there so i knew it wasnt leaking there :)

and yea any silicone sealent should do the trick, clear is best unless u can get black 2 match the plastic or the colour of ur car lol
so stick 2clear :)

don't

ok mate here is the pic of me sunroof, I have drawn some lovely yellow lines there 2 show u where abouts ive squeezed the sealant in2,

u have 2 make sure u go all the way round the sunroof, not just at the front, make sure u do the back aswel or u will continue 2 get wet

be careful when doing it as not 2 get much if any on ur roof paintwork as its not 2 easy 2 get off :) just try 2 get it in2 the gap nicely if u have 1

u could go round the (arial 2 roof) aswel if u like, if ur unsure of where ur leak is, its easy 2 pull down the lighting inside the car though 2 c if its wet around the roof around that area but up 2 u really m8

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Essexlad_Dave/me%20new%20pics/Dscf0065.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Essexlad_Dave/me%20new%20pics/Dscf0065.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Essexlad_Dave/me%20new%20pics/Dscf0065.jpg

Hope this helps u out and hope it stops some ppl getting wet, it sorted me anyway :)

.Dave.

don't

might be worth making a sticky out of this somewhere as its such a commen problem

change title, 2 sunroof/arial leaks, add some more info on the other places it could leak, i.e. more info on arial side of things, then make it a sticky that ppl can refer 2, as its such a commen problem assoon as it rains, and with weather getting worse and worse im sure this will come up again within 2 weeks

Clio Sport 172

yer when i had my rt my sunroof leaked its worth having it totaly resealed i wish i had done it to mine gave me hell through the whole winter. also happend to my areial but u can easy do that your self but where the waters coming in from sounds like its your sunroof

don't

gd lad :)

easy enough job 2 do, over 50% of mk1 owners have prob had this lol, gd old renault eh

just get some sealant and get in all round there and u should be fine

with my leak, it wouldnt actually drip on me until i went round a corner, the water would filter through and then it in my leccy sunroof switch, then after a corner, soaked :)