ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Meant to post about that. Basically the CD changer is the headunit and the stereo is under the seat. Xcarlink plugs into the CD changer port so you lose all of the headunit controls. Going to have to find another way.

Want my xcarlink for a little less than new cost?

I think I do.

What's the crack with it then? Does it stop your entire head unit from working? Or is it just with your set up do you think?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Fuq dat then lol
If I've got the energy tomorrow I'm going to look at splicing the connectors. I'm thinking that if I get power and controls working on the "headunit" then I might be able to get the rest of the cables swapped from the xcarlink and then get both working.

I'm guessing that the audio wiring to the "headunit" I could swap out for the xcarlink ones. I'm going to have to have a proper think about it and figure out what wiring does what.

Basically with the xcarlink in you lose the whole headunit which is actually the CD changer. You can still use the display and stalk controls, changing between xcarlink and the radio etc. My thinking is that I can splice the power on the cd changer connection into the xcarlink plug, and the same with whichever wires do the controls and get it to work that way.

If I figure it out then I'll be extremely happy. I'll probably start by just removing pins from the CD changer block until I'm left with just the power and controls but no CD changer functionality and then splice those left into the xcarlink.

If it doesn't work I can always solder and heatshrink it back to standard so it's no real loss.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
If I've got the energy tomorrow I'm going to look at splicing the connectors. I'm thinking that if I get power and controls working on the "headunit" then I might be able to get the rest of the cables swapped from the xcarlink and then get both working.

I'm guessing that the audio wiring to the "headunit" I could swap out for the xcarlink ones. I'm going to have to have a proper think about it and figure out what wiring does what.

Basically with the xcarlink in you lose the whole headunit which is actually the CD changer. You can still use the display and stalk controls, changing between xcarlink and the radio etc. My thinking is that I can splice the power on the cd changer connection into the xcarlink plug, and the same with whichever wires do the controls and get it to work that way.

If I figure it out then I'll be extremely happy. I'll probably start by just removing pins from the CD changer block until I'm left with just the power and controls but no CD changer functionality and then splice those left into the xcarlink.

If it doesn't work I can always solder and heatshrink it back to standard so it's no real loss.

You sound more electronically minded than me so I'll agree with you.

Fingers crossed.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
You sound more electronically minded than me so I'll agree with you.

Fingers crossed.
I can be. But there are so few pins and they are all going to carry the same voltage. Plus I can't find a proper wiring diagram anywhere so I'll just be pulling wires and seeing what I'm left with.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I can be. But there are so few pins and they are all going to carry the same voltage. Plus I can't find a proper wiring diagram anywhere so I'll just be pulling wires and seeing what I'm left with.

If it's anything like what I've got in mine, there'll be a fair few free connectors in the plugs, not sure if they're free for extra compatiility or not.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So the LED fitting kit turned up from partsulike. I actually ordered the kit that included number plate bulbs too BUT they don't account for the vanity lights. So I've fitted them there instead and will order 2 more bulbs for the number plate.

Apologies for the grainy phone image.

24429425829_3d7e96a394_z.jpg
Recaros + LEDs
by Rhys Bartley, on Flickr

I've also ordered the update list stereo and I'm going to try and get it to work on the standard ISO connectors. Hopefully it does and I'll reroute them to the back of the dash instead of under the seat. This way I can fit the bluetooth. Was only £37 including next day postage so can't grumble too much. That'll be here tomorrow so I'll test fit and see how we get on. Read a post on the french forum that said the original ISO plugs are also up inside the back of the dash so will investigate that too. Maybe they just ran an extension loom for the cabasse amp, who knows.

More on that later in the week though!

Inferno 225 cup
You've got me looking at some seats for £1200[emoji46][emoji46][emoji46][emoji46][emoji46]

559c3455a4691183302caf248b32cd91.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So I'm getting closer.

Got the stereo working with the standard loom and the Bluetooth in. Hooray.

Issue now is that the clock works, but there's no radio display or stalk controls which I believe are both controlled by the yellow plug. My yellow plug looks like this:

8cdc7074bc348d4423bf6e19280925d5.jpg

And the 197 with update list from factory looks like this

6fd74648fb0daaf56f5968462c9470d9.jpg

Any suggestions welcome. Think I'll take the dash off at some point and have a look.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
On second look there seems to be the right colours in the loom that went between the headunit and changer. But that's no use as its not connected on that end

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
Lovely looking car. I think the 197 is the most attractive out of all the clio sports. Can't stand that bloody spoiler though!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So the saga continues.

Phoned and spoke to Steve at Wolverhampton Renault today. Really nice and helpful chap. He went through the diagrams and options and the difference between my car and Knuckles car who has factory Update List stereo is the display. They have different part numbers so looks like the software in that is what controls it.

So I've ordered one off eBay, used for £44. Stalk has the same part number so I'm thinking if the display works the stalks will follow. I'm really hoping to get this sorted as quite frankly I want it all working. If I can get just the display to work and no stalk controls then I'll take that. That's a victory in my book.

Clio 197
Nice, i thought everyone on CS hated 197s :tongueout:
Fitted some silverstones from a laguna with 225 tyres to mine for winter, fit better in the arch too (wider).

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted some silverstones from a laguna with 225 tyres to mine for winter, fit better in the arch too (wider).
Everyone pretends to but then forgets how good they actually are.

The "haters" are people who haven't ever driven one for any great length and jump on the MPG and bad gearbox bandwagon.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

I didn't realise silverstones were wider!

How much difference in weight is there over the standard alloys?

They're my plan b if my current wheels don't work

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

They are weak as piss mind. So if you have potholes round by you, they won't last long.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No idea I'm afraid mate. But having worked for Renault and also currently working very closely with a wheel repair company, I can tell you with confidence that they bend very easily.

Clio 197

when i say wider , the tyres wider (215-225) , no idea if the wheel itself is though. Let me find a pic

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So a little bit of progress but in reality a back step.

Had another fiddle around last night with the stereo setup to try and work out what does what.

The yellow connector that controls the dash and the stalk controls in a 197 that comes with and Update List stereo seems to control the inputs from the CD changer on the unit I have. The stalk and display are controller by a separate connector that's specific to the CD changer unit.

For now I've gone back to the standard setup as I'm away in the lakes this weekend and wanted to be able to fiddle with the stereo without pissing around under the seat. I've put an email in to a local mobile auto electrician explaining the situation and I'm waiting to hear back from them. Fingers crossed they can sort it for me.

My advice at present is to not bother with this as it's an arse ache. But as I've come this far already I'm going to carry on and hopefully be able to show everyone what the electrician has done so it is possible for others to replicate in future by splicing looms etc.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Given up with the stereo for now. I'm sure I'll figure a way around it but I've been too busy to have a go.

I've also treated myself to a remap at RS Tuning to get rid of the flat spot. Was planning to leave it until after I've done the belts in summer but a group buy popped up and it's costing me £195 + VAT instead of £295 + VAT. Booked in for the 12th of March. Can't wait to get it all smoothed out as it really spoils the car.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So went to RS Tuning today and had the car mapped. Paul said it was the worst flat spot he'd seen from just a catback. Ended up with a decent gain and the car is SO much more driveable now.

Before: 178.7 BHP
After: 185.6 BHP

Not sure what these usually run but Paul said it's about right for them. He also said he thinks the timing might be out a little but it doesn't look like it's affecting the power at all. He was fairly happy with the BHP increase too.

25704056946_de564d55c6_z.jpg
Clio 197 On The Rollers

25099699194_437b816fcb_z.jpg
197 Dyno Graph

Can't recommend getting this done enough.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It does look really good, spacers make it look great.

I can't wait to fit a cup spoiler to mine :tongueout: