ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are symptoms of a failed alternator on a 172?

Mk1 1.2 & Mk1 172
As if I haven't had enough problems, now via battery won't hold any charge. Had the wife come out and jump me off last night and drove around for 15 miles. This morning, nothing - I even locked car without alarm last night to conserve battery.
The wife is going to get it sorted this morning if just the battery and take back the one Halfrauds sold me that is an inch too long for the battery bay. My concern now is that the alternator has gone as surely the 15 mile drive should have put some charge into the battery?
Aaaaaagh! Wish I'd bought a Honda or kept the Bm!
In hope,
Jon

Mk1 1.2 & Mk1 172
I sincerely hope so - Halfrauds sold me a battery yesterday for £99.99 which was too big to fit in the space. Nobs

clio 16v
as far as i was aware if the battery warning light is on when driving then the battery is not charging and your alternator is screwed. If the light is off when driving it's likely you need a new battery.

lift number 1 @ btm
my mate has an exclusive that does this all the time, had a new alternator with no change. iirc, it is one of the leads or clips onto the alternator. it was driving him up the wall! i'm at work this evening, but i'll ask later and try to find out exactly what it was.

my mate has an exclusive that does this all the time, had a new alternator with no change. iirc, it is one of the leads or clips onto the alternator. it was driving him up the wall! i'm at work this evening, but i'll ask later and try to find out exactly what it was.

Ype the wires don't have the best connections ever they do fail.

The garage who chnaged the alternator should have checked before chnaging it.