ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what best springs for handling not look 182 ff

182 ff
just ordered 4 new cup dampers and new tops mounts(due to my crazy insurance company i have to put none standard suspension on or it will go up £600,)what springs do i get?i no cup springs have been designed for the dampers,i want something that will handle well and reduce body roll but dont want to keep replacing dampers all the time.i no all the stats of sportlines and prolines,that meaning nothing unless u have tried them your self.why dont koni make 60mm dampers,they would sell loads,any comments wud be helpful,also if u do go lower do u have to buy camber bolts/?

clio 182 sport
My prolines will be for sale next month at some point they have covered about 100 miles

Thought you had sportlines??

I got sportlines there fine btw. and mini's are s**t. ( the new ones ) if you wanted a car thats looks kool in a car park and has a bad man rep i would get a CTR.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Thought you had sportlines??

I got sportlines there fine btw. and mini's are s**t. ( the new ones ) if you wanted a car thats looks kool in a car park and has a bad man rep i would get a CTR.

Nah prolines dude, there good but im gonna get the cooksports for the lower drop and there cheap aswell

Yeah im not a mini fan at all, the wife would never chop her mini for a CTR even thou i would love that to happen :)

clio 182 sport
Nah prolines dude, there good but im gonna get the cooksports for the lower drop and there cheap aswell

Yeah im not a mini fan at all, the wife would never chop her mini for a CTR even thou i would love that to happen :)

What offers the lower drop then ( i know i should use the search and i could google it bla bla ) sportlines or prolines?? whats the difference ive got sportlines and they look spot on!!

182 ff
i dont give a toss about drop i just wanna go round corners nailed to the road,and not like i have jelly springs now.i had a go of a 2002 old corsa 1.4 sri that was great like a go kart,that had standard suspension on.172 is not a 182 ff so the springs wont work the same will they as the 182 if heavier

Last edited:
  182 Cup
i dont give a toss about drop i just wanna go round corners nailed to the road,and not like i have jelly springs now.i had a go of a 2002 old corsa 1.4 sri that was great like a go kart,that had standard suspension on.172 is not a 182 ff so the springs wont work the same will they has the 182 if heavier

The springs are very similar, not exactly the same. However the options from eibach and cooksport are universal for 1*2 use. So they are talking sense.

182 ff
searching? been on here for 2 days,everyone is obsessed with drop and just say sportsline,i wanna no the goemetry effects of each spring types.and what spring rate is compatible with cup shocks,and is it worth getting camber bolts

182 ff
i mean is if u put springs on a 172 and the same on a 182 ff as they are different masses they wont react the same will they.renault design there dampers to go with the springs,on here loads of people who lower with standard dampers seem to replace them due to them failing,do that means they aint compatible.why cant koni manufacter yellow sports dampers with a 60 mm spacing or why dont eibach design dampers to go with there sports line or proline springs,if they did they wud sell loads.

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
searching? been on here for 2 days,everyone is obsessed with drop and just say sportsline,i wanna no the goemetry effects of each spring types.and what spring rate is compatible with cup shocks,and is it worth getting camber bolts

Whos everyone with regards obsession to drop?

pro's- ride better than std, don't drop.
sportlones- ride better than std but don't drop enough IMO
apex- handle worse than standard but drop enough for lowz
cooksport- handle better than standard and drop well.

Hope that helps

i wanna no the goemetry effects of each spring types.and what spring rate is compatible with cup shocks,and is it worth getting camber bolts

To be brutally honest I think you'll find extremely few people outside of Renault will have done any specific numbers. It all comes down to cost vs gain. There's that old saying which is VERY applicable:

80% of a result comes from the first 20% of cost. The last 20% of performance accounts for 80% of the cost.

The margins between very expensive omptimisation and "guesswork + a bit of track time" will also be too small to warrant the cost. And then there's specifics. There's no point optimising spring rates for a car a few KG lighter than another, when you lose 5 times that weight in fuel over a race. A spring rate optimised for a 172 (which is probably a few KG lighter than a 182) probably wouldn't even be noticed.

182 ff
rather have no pas you can feel the road,they should have pas as an extra,wat do u ready need it for on a clio sport ?just adds weight u get no beneifit just more pipes to leak.

182 ff
so ur sayin in a qualifiying section a 172cup with the same set up as a full fat 182 will be the same times? 172 cup say is 80 kg lighter,so that a 14 stone plus man,i think that would have an effect on the dampers and springs,if it has no effect like you say i guess we will be seeing obese f1 drivers next year.

To be brutally honest I think you'll find extremely few people outside of Renault will have done any specific numbers. It all comes down to cost vs gain. There's that old saying which is VERY applicable:

80% of a result comes from the first 20% of cost. The last 20% of performance accounts for 80% of the cost.

Secondly, we're not talking proffesional drivers here. A spring rate optimised for a 172 (which is probably a few KG lighter than a 182) probably wouldn't even be noticed. Not to mention that by the last 10 laps of a race you have lost half your bodyweight in terms of fuel, making a far bigger difference than the weight of a 172 vs 182.

182 ff
thanks,i wish i lived near mark fish,just give him a bag of money, say make it the best it can be from whats in it,save loads of messing,could of been worse i guess cud of bought that yellow 182 with an 172 engine in it,sayin that wat i have spend i could of bought a new 182 engine.

so ur sayin in a qualifiying section a 172cup with the same set up as a full fat 182 will be the same times? 172 cup say is 80 kg lighter,so that a 14 stone plus man,i think that would have an effect on the dampers and springs,if it has no effect like you say i guess we will be seeing obese f1 drivers next year.

You're driving a car on a road, you're not doing the F1 ;)

I'd like to see you "outpace" a 182, there'll be nothing in it - down to the driver!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Get OEM cup springs, some proper tyres and driving tuition.
I took a stock ff 182 to Snetterton recently and the results spoke for themselves.
No springs will ever make you quicker than some additional talent.

;)

clio 182 sport
I took a stock ff 182 to Snetterton recently and the results spoke for themselves.

;)

I was glad to see the back of my standard springs tbh, all the roll i used to get around corners never filled me with confidence lol

182 ff
i have oem springs ihave to change them or my insurance does up cause they are oem

;)

182 ff

i have oem springs ihave to change them or my insurance does up cause they are oem its a stock 182 ff and its like driving old pram like clio kid said its like ur hanging on for dear life,if your racing the same clio 182s i guess someone has to win

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Think I'm out tbh. My new year philosophy. If I have to read a sentence more than twice to understand it I can't be arsed. Good luck with whatever you do

182 ff
i was with asda tpft,i found another insurer cheaper and fully comp.(i was told by 2 garages i had did not have cup pack 182)so i thought add get full koni yellow and sportlines. cause the car handle rubbish.i changed insurers and stated i will be up grading my suspension.they said fine the price is the same we just send u forms out to fill in the mods.i took wheel of to measure spacings before i ordered 4 koni yellow.i found out i already had cup packs(god if this is a cup god help the standard ones) so i called my insurance company and said i may not want to upgrade suspension i mite just get new oem dampers and springs ,they said if i dont change the springs or dampers from oem i have to pay £600 more cause when i took out the policy it was for modified cars.so i can put any mods on it i guess i wont have to pay extra, its backwards i knowits with adrain flux.
Please explain how your insurance increases because the car is standard?

if that truly is the case, it's not your springs that need changing.