ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Caused My Springs To Do This

Volvo S60 T5

Reno springs fail all the time just like this one has, I recon its down to poor quality metal, and also look at the amount of rust on it.

When I bought my Williams it needed new springs as a result of it rusting and shearing off.. like Mike said, its common for Renaults apparently!!

That looks damn serious, but ye I agree, bad quality springs that maybe wernt finished off on the ends too well. Your Eibachs Should be fine as I have had these on other cars and they are damn sweet, as long as the fitters use a spring compressor that has been maintained well so it wont take the outer coating off as it clamps up!! This happened to me once b4 and corrosion set in.

Abarth 595 Trufeo

The other 3 are near perfect its just this one

When they removed it they didnt tell me which side it was from either

H

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

probably just a poorly made spring but renaults do seem quite bad for snapping road springs.

Id say material failure ie manurfacturing fault Ill see what people at work say though.

Its rusting at the bottom so possible the covering (the black stuff) has become ripped at some point by stones etc or by being streched to far if they werent put on correctly.

This caused the spring to become rusted if you look I recon there will be loads of craks from the rusting area upwards. One of the cracks has found the route past that pieces of metal in the center of the spring to the top cracking the spring in half then the spring has failed as its not as stong in two pices.

There is a bit of missing material from the bottom of the spring this could hold the answer to the failure.

Can you get any more pictures of the underside of the spring? ie where the missing bit is from and from the other spring.

I wouldnt worrry by the wa a new spring will be stronger thn the normal one. If you want just keep checking the spring has no cracks etc in the outer covering and if you realy want cover it in some sort of grease or paint which wont dry ie will cover the spring all the time which its moving.

The ends are exposed and a pitt/chip/crack probably just started corroding.

Natural use of a spring will see it break with stress risers.

But, the path it follows along the coil suggests a manufaturing fault.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

normally a coil will just cleanly shear off its weird how the crack is progressing up the spring.

Abarth 595 Trufeo

Took the car to Renault this morning

The car s due to be part exd this week for McShugs new cup.

They also seem to think it is a faulty spring as they have never seen one do this before

They are replacing the spring and fitting the Eibachs to the cup free of charge.

I must say a Thank You to our dealer - Russells Eastbourne

H