ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do?

clio 16v
Well I finally got a new job but it's a 40 minute drive away.. I know it doesnt sound much but in a 1.2 it is! Any how, I'm thinking of swapping the Clio in for something newer. Probably 57 or 08 plate.

But insurance is a killer ATM as I'm 19 I can't get much leverage. My Clio is a 52 reg but it's only done 60k. Do you think it's worth keeping the clio and just clocking the miles up or swapping for a newer desiel?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
At 19 a 1.4 is the best you could do without your insurance premium looking like a phome number, but is it worth it?

How much fuel does your 1.2 drink in a days commute?

clio 16v
Yeah I know but I've had alot of trouble with it.. 2 or 3 coil packs.. One uch.. One electric throttle and the clutch is not too sharp now talking 40 miles a day

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
What does age of the car have to do with anything?
If the commute is a long one a smaller engine is going to be much better, what is it in distance? I live 8 miles from work but sometimes it can take me nearly an hour to get there.
I'd say keep your current car plus insurance companies look upon you a bit more favourably if you're building up more no claims on the same car, that's why they always ask how long you've owned the car when you're getting a quote ;)

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
From what you've said it sounds like your car has cost you a bit to keep it on the road,
and if you think bits are on the way out like the clutch, it may well be worth looking for something else.

The first thing i'd be doing before even looking at other cars is talking to your insurance company,
look on autotrader for the types of cars you're thinking about and get some quotes on different cars 1.4 and below,
you never know it could be about the same as you're paying now.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Don't waste your money on another car then, 20 miles each way is nothing in a little 1.2 ;)
Stick with it then think about this again when you're in a more favourable position with insurance & long term finances, cars break no matter what age they are, it's a fact of life.
Getting another car & all the extra costs associated with it will most likely cost you more than continuing to run your current car & that's before you factor in the potential for that car to break as well

clio 16v
Yeah wasn't going to go above 1.6 anyway if I'm honest.. I love my car but at the same time hate it. Considering something like lupo or seat leon 1.4

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
i am 19 and have a 172, for the type of roads i use for work dual carriageways and motorways and to get to uni the upgrade is definetly worth it, but it depends whether you can rationalise the extra expense of the insurance if not stick with the 1.2 i had one and it was great for what it was i dont see the point in an upgrade to a 1.4 or 1.6 but a fiesta zetec s may be something to look at

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Like Paddy has said the only thing with a new car is you have no clue if it'll go bang within a month,
but we all know the allure of a different car, if I was you though I still wouldn't be going above 1.4, insurance will rape you!!
Unless you're minted then get a 172.;)

With a 1.6 you get into Saxo vtr/vts territory, and there's many a 19 year old lad that's ended up in a ditch or wrapped around a tree because of a 1.6, which is why insurance at your age takes the piss, that's why i'm glad I didn't pass my test till I was 26.
Although to be fair you can ditch in a 1.0L just as easy as a 1.6.

My first car was a £450 1.1 Metro, 3rd party insurance £450 happy days, although it was a death trap!! LOL

Last edited:

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
My first car was a £450 1.1 Metro, 3rd party insurance £450 happy days, although it was a death trap!! LOL

I used to have 1 of those, death on wheels those things lol! I blew up the engine in spectacular fashion on that thing before it killed me :rasp:

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I shunted a Volvo at the lights once in mine, smashed both headlights bent the bonnet, the Volvo didn't have a scratch! LOL
£20 quid lights down the scrapyard and a mate jumping up and down on the bonnet and it was fixed.:D

I made a headcase mate of mine scream like a girl in it once, haha!! (Revenge for all the handbrake turns he did in his XR3i)
At 60mph the steering wheel went invisible with vibration, f*cking lethal cars.