ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What's the best way to gain BHP

Renault clio mk2
Hello i have a Renault Clio 2000 plate mk2 1.4 16v. Just wondering what's the best way to gain BHP without sticking a turbo or supercharger on it. Would like to gain 50 + if possible just need a kick in right direction

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
So your plan was to try and get 50hp extra out of a 1.4 and then not declare it to the insurance?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Good plan think that's what I'll do cheers

I echo what everyone else has said.

When I was 17 I had a Red 1.2 Dynaique that I spent far too much money on. It cost a fortune to insure due to the exhausts, tints, lights, alloys and so on.

I then sold that and got a MK6 Fiesta ST (which are very good on insurance FYI, much cheaper than a 172/182) and the insurance was cheaper for me as it was a standard car.

Sit it out for another year, it'll be worth it in the end.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Hello i have a Renault Clio 2000 plate mk2 1.4 16v. Just wondering what's the best way to gain BHP without sticking a turbo or supercharger on it. Would like to gain 50 + if possible just need a kick in right direction

a 50 shot of nos.

in all seriousness, save the cash for something with more go.
or get mods that can be transferred / easily sold on (decent wheels, coilovers etc)

Renault clio mk2
So as I'm sticking with this car for now until i can afford the insurance for a faster one what do you recon I could get this cars BHP up to I believe from what the Renaults website says its 100 BHP now and dose anyone know what the si stands for on my car cuz it's the Clio si 1.4 16v

It may have been 100BHP when it rolled out the factory. Its probably what, a 2002 - 2004 plate, so I'd stab at 90-94BHP.

Honestly, dont bother chasing BHP. You'll spend far too much getting sod all out of it.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I know you probably don't want to hear it.

But seriously don't bother even trying mate. Unless you spend a fortune you will probably not even notice the difference.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Rather than chasing bhp, try upping your power-weight ratio.

Ditch the rear seats, carpets, spare wheel, sound deadening.
Then fit some decent springs, tyres and brakes.

Make more difference than an air filter, exhaust and remap ever will, and probably be cheaper.

Renault clio mk2
It may have been 100BHP when it rolled out the factory. Its probably what, a 2002 - 2004 plate, so I'd stab at 90-94BHP.

Honestly, dont bother chasing BHP. You'll spend far too much getting sod all out of it.
I'm not like you say there no point I was just wondering:)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Put it this way, you could probably spend some money on an exhaust and intake and you'll either gain nothing or a few bhp.

Maybe with a map 10 ponies... But for the outlay, it's p*ssing in the wind :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
19 almost 20

I was in exactly the same boat as you.

Spunked a fortune on a 1.4, then six months after 'finishing it' I found I could insure my current car for not much more.

Put the 1.4 back to standard and lost a load of money which could've been sat in a bank as a deposit for the 197.

If you feel like spending anything on the 1.4 other than servicing and brakes/tyres etc. Put the money in the bank.

Future you will thank you so much.

Renault clio mk2
Okay thanks everyone definitely going to keep it as it is and do some saving for a better car in the future :) but just wondering for a laf I'm not going to but how much would it cost to get it turbocharged/supercharged if it's Evan possible and what extra BHP would you get and don't worry I'm not going to do it I'm just wondering

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Cost - thousands, gains - not impressive.

Why? because you'll blow the engine apart trying to run even moderate levels of boost, thats if the clutch/gearbox hold.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Okay thanks everyone definitely going to keep it as it is and do some saving for a better car in the future :smile: but just wondering for a laf I'm not going to but how much would it cost to get it turbocharged/supercharged if it's Evan possible and what extra BHP would you get and don't worry I'm not going to do it I'm just wondering

Ring a garage and ask ?

You could spend £3k, 10k, 100k .. the possibilities are almost endless.

Get a dCi mk2 Clio .. either the 80 or 100 version. Will feel so much faster than your 1.4 as it actually has some torque.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Okay thanks everyone definitely going to keep it as it is and do some saving for a better car in the future :smile: but just wondering for a laf I'm not going to but how much would it cost to get it turbocharged/supercharged if it's Evan possible and what extra BHP would you get and don't worry I'm not going to do it I'm just wondering

Anywhere from £2000 - £10000 depening on what spec you go up to. More than the cars worth!

Power, maybe enough to overtake a 1.8 focus. Worth it?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Enjoy the car for what it is.

If you're expecting 50+ BHP on a 1.4 but say you cannot afford to insure a 172/182 then you're mental.

It'd be cheaper to buy a 172/182 AND insure it then to get 50 more ponies from your 1.4.