ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats ure fav tyre

ppl, what tyres do u stick by ?
ive been using pirelli p6000, and cant fault them, but when i get my 17s im not sure what to have next. p7000 were my first choice, but apparently toyo proxies t1s are real good aswell (used on misti evos apparently)

anyone else recommend a good tyre ?

any to avoid ?

(i did see a while back a similar thread, but cant find it now)

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

loved my old yoko 520s in the dry but they were shocking in the wet.
I am looking at the new yoko 539s.

I used to have A520 on my Megane and now have A539s and I feel they are as good in the dry and much improved in the wet although the tread doesnt look nearly as cool !!! Not sure about durability yet but they seem to be lasting a bit better too.

Not tried any other tyres yet, still my first car.

Carl

GR7

Shiny red R32

Toyos gets my vote any day! I had Pirelli P6000 on my Pug and to me they were OK, but the guy who bought my car didnt like them and said they were a bit slidy, but he probably gives the car a bit more of a thrashing than I did! I found the Contisports to be very slidy on bends at times, even at low speeds.

ive always used slicks...
nah, i like the semi slick A032s & 38s. but their A539s are god too, very soft, but some people dont like them. Got bridgestones on the fiesta, soft, not top of the range but very good, almost gone through them in amonth cause i slide them everwhere.
but choice is yours really.
stay away from lots of cheap tyres, anything that sounds dodgy obviousely...oh, BFG, firestone, uniroyals etc are all pants.

BMW 320d Sport

And Continentals from what Ive heard. Funny how someone said they must be the best because Renault fit them at the factory, yet just about every kind of brand new car I see nowadays has them on. Couldnt possibly be cos the manufacturers get them for £5 a corner and they dont have to pay for a decent brand could it?

set of tyres in a month !, god that must be costly

spending that amount on tyres then thinking about it again a month later makes me go weak at the knees

right,

the reason why manufactures fit certain brands of tyre is this:-

Car manufactures pay little or nothing or sometimes even get paid to use what ever tyres because the tyre manufactures know that people tend to continue to fit the OE for the rest of the cars life in some cases, IMHO Toyo have been paying huge amonts of money to manufactures in recent years because it was as little 3 years ago that toyo were considered simply budgets like Wanlis and Nankangs etc, i agree they have got alot better but they are not the same quality as the leading brands, but you have to admit the marketing has worked, in this thread alone peole are saying Toyos are fitted to Evo 6s etc, and it is reason enough for buying them, but there are cheaper brands that are equaly as good, but are cheaper because they dont have the overheads of advertising and paying TVR and Mitsi to use thier tyres, But you only have to look at Bridgestone to see how well this can work, but as bridegstone have proved it works alot better when they have a multi million pound motor racing R&D group behnind it, and thier tyre speak for themselfs in indepandant reviews, and for those vulnerable to marketing they have been fitted to imprezzas for years now,

for the record, most budget tyres are made underliscence by a majior manufacturer, e.g bridgestone also produce firestone and BFG, IMO firestones in recent years are very good for the money,

but for my reccomendation for fav tyre is SO2/SO3 potenzas, also nice are dunlop SP9000s which deserve a mention,

for for the long e mail but i do know my tyres a bit.

lofty

P.S anyone whos willing to listen can hear my flannel about a near monoploly in the tyre industry at present, with Mr Farmer owning the vasy majority of retail outlets but you wouldnt otherwise know as all the names stay the same.. right ill stop befor i start

right,

the reason why manufactures fit certain brands of tyre is this:-

Car manufactures pay little or nothing or sometimes even get paid to use what ever tyres because the tyre manufactures know that people tend to continue to fit the OE for the rest of the cars life in some cases, IMHO Toyo have been paying huge amonts of money to manufactures in recent years because it was as little 3 years ago that toyo were considered simply budgets like Wanlis and Nankangs etc, i agree they have got alot better but they are not the same quality as the leading brands, but you have to admit the marketing has worked, in this thread alone peole are saying Toyos are fitted to Evo 6s etc, and it is reason enough for buying them, but there are cheaper brands that are equaly as good, but are cheaper because they dont have the overheads of advertising and paying TVR and Mitsi to use thier tyres, But you only have to look at Bridgestone to see how well this can work, but as bridegstone have proved it works alot better when they have a multi million pound motor racing R&D group behnind it, and thier tyre speak for themselfs in indepandant reviews, and for those vulnerable to marketing they have been fitted to imprezzas for years now,

for the record, most budget tyres are made underliscence by a majior manufacturer, e.g bridgestone also produce firestone and BFG, IMO firestones in recent years are very good for the money,

but for my reccomendation for fav tyre is SO2/SO3 potenzas, also nice are dunlop SP9000s which deserve a mention,

for for the long reply but i do know my tyres a bit.

lofty

P.S anyone whos willing to listen can hear my flannel about a near monoploly in the tyre industry at present, with Mr Farmer owning the vasy majority of retail outlets but you wouldnt otherwise know as all the names stay the same.. right ill stop befor i start

I have to admit, I find my Contis ok in terms of high speed cornering - even in the wet. Although I noticed they *feel* better in the wet after the 30mm drop...

Ad

MK2 FRS

Toyos.
On the subject of contis, went into my local dealer and they had a new clio in and it Michelins on so maybe the new cars are gonna be on michelins.

ive been looking around for reviews on tyres etc.. and some ppl have said the proxy t1s can aquaplane in the wet, and dry cornering could be better. i know all tyres have there + and -, does anyone actually have them / had them to confirm/deny this ?

I got my 16s minted second hand and they came with a Falken tyre of some description (205/45/16), cant recall the model number. They are almost worn out now though, so cant give a verdict, anybody else use them and whats the opinion.

I need 2 new front tyres in above size, so keep comments about tyres coming so I dont waste my doh!

Cheers

Alex M (alexmac)

all tyres will aquaplane at after a certain speed.
oh, and the front 12 of the monaco GP are all on Michelins!!...i think they have done a bit of research and come up with a special tyre, especiall for webber to be 8th!!!

Goodyear Eagle F1s great in the wet and stick like glue when hot in the dry, not to expensive either, but if money was not an issue id have Yoko A032Rs

i buy used sets of ao32s for 125 quid...used only for single test sessions and part worn.....bargain!!!!

Just fitted Yoko A539s to the front and they are the best Ive used I used to use A509 all the time and liked them but these are even better. Only cost me 100 quid for the pair to.

AL

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah I see your point Lofty and youre right about the Toyos only having appeared on decent motors in the last few years. Still, whatever incentives there were to fit Toyos on the Evo, if they were cack, they wouldnt do it, Im sure Mitsubishi dont need the money!

Personally my only experiences with cheapo tyres, even good brands, have been frightening. Ive learnt the hard way that with tyres you definitely get what you pay for. Goodyear Eagle F1 and Toyo Proxes T1-S are both superb in the wet, no aquaplaning at all. The Eagles were better in the dry, seemed to break away more progressively but they were 15s so that was to be expected, my Toyos are 215/25/18.

there from the catherham and fiesta race series so the size is 185/60/13....not much use to you i dont think.
but you can still get used semi and full slick 15s if you look hard enough....i think i can find some.

benr, with all the cars and wheels you have got knocking about, maybe you wouldnt miss, and therfore could sell me your super leggaras? altenativly do you know anywhere where they are avaalible cheaply?

lofty

hahaha!!!! no chance mate!!!
i got them for 480 quid, so no way, there waiting to go on my finished RT.
but there so lovely i just dont like using then that much, kinda like new shoes!...especially white ones.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Well now I get the picture Ben, you in your white shoes!!! No wonder the woman put her hands over her eyes the other day when she saw you, it must have been the white shoes!!

billie jean is not my lover, shes just a girl who thinks that......I AM THE ONE.....the kid is not my son.

i take it you done like white shoes.....well, neither does my GF...shes says im Gay.

but im only wearing them cause my grey ones wore out.

I had just fitted Yoko A539s to my corsa not long before i sold it and were very impressed with them. My other half and his friend both swear by Yokos on their tubbies................and i also get them quite cheap which obviously helps alot!!

Chuckie

My last 4 sets of tyres (including my old saxo) were

Goodyear Eagle F1 (195x45x15)
Continental ContactSport (195x45x16)
Toyo Proxes T1-S (205x40x17)
Falken FK451 (205x40x17)

All i can say is that the F1, T1-S and 451s are excellent in the wet, the falkens for me have been the best dry tyre too, my 172 sticks like glue when the tyres have some heat in them.

The Goodyears are a little understeery in the dry, but not massively, just could be better. Although i wore out the first set in 9000 miles of "enthusiastic" driving.

The standard fit contis on the clio were nothing less than scary in the wet unless you didn;t push them at all...replaced within 6 weeks of having the car. Although dry performance i found to be above average.

The toyos are good in dry but a little sluggish at rapid direction changes. But very assured in the wet with no aquaplaning unless in LOTS of standing water, but even then it felt controlable.

I was a little hesistent when i got the falkens cos i have heared mixed reviews but i am very impressed and will continue to use these for a while.

Sorry for long post but thought it would be useful for peeps.

Ta
J

if you r running 15"rims why not try tarmac road legal tyres(intermediates)
made by colway(makers of remold tyres)most privateer rally guys use them cos they work well in wet or dry .
and cost bugger all compaired to top brand tyres.
try powerzone in burnley or demon tweeks