ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Woohoo! New car!

Just agreed to buy a beautiful MK1 172 in lovely titanium silver with a mega light weight aluminium bonnet and in what appears to be totally mint condition (and a much loved by its current owner). Cant wait to pick it up...were going to be a 2 Clio family :D Roll on Sunday.

Anyone want to sell me a 172/Clio CD head unit (I dont have any tapes, and a CD unit looks neater) and some MK2 phase 2 rear light clusters? PM me if youve got either of these items.

Rhys

u sold ur mk2 for money now u go and buy a mk1,

think ur going through more clios then anyone else

keep up the good work

geta valver, a v6 and u got the whole set

This decade I will mostly be driving French hatches...

Clio 1.4 16v, Clio 172 MK2, Williams, 206GTi and 205GTi and now MK1 172 (although not entirely mine I suppose).

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Good stuff, go and do some testing with teh willy and 172. which is quicker?? lol

Will definitely be getting the AP22 out soon. Ill say this quietly as I dont want to upset the Williams, but the 172 seems faster! Still, better wait to test it before commenting much further. I will say though that it did feel stonkingly quick from the passenger seat. Im used to being a passenger in the Williams, but the 172 has a really immense pull from fairly low revs (.....wonder if the VVT actually works on this one!). The guy didnt even take her over 5.5k revs.

Both myself and Ellen reckon it felt quicker than my MK2, but then I would say that now, wouldnt I!

Mmmmm......its all silver and nice and silver and erm....nice.... :D

CTR EK9 turbo

Good lad! and good choice! itl be interesting to see some ap22 times. What reg did you get? did it come with the change up light? i guess if he didnt hit over 6 you wouldnt have seen it.

Brun - cheers, will check it out.

Simon - W reg, aluminium bonnet and functioning change light. Aparently it was the 42nd MK1 to make it to the country! Only warranty work needed was the boot leak problem. Not many rattles and mint condition. Im in lurrrve!

williams and trophy

nice 1 rhys

cant really see it being quicker than the willy tho...........mind u i havent really seen how quik youre willy is yet lol

another 127 to scalp hehe

Jon - didnt say it is quicker, said it "seems" quicker! Anyway, remember that this is an original MK1 with the light bonnet, so itll be miles faster than your pathetic little Williams. HA, MWAHAH, MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ;)

Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the thrashing it senselessly round twisty roads, so we shall see.....will also take it to York and get Craggy to do a couple of runs.

Oh yeah, I think my Williams does what it says on the tin, but not much more. Puts out the right amount of power and does 100 in 18.5 seconds, but its not a genetic mutant like yours or Craggys old Williams.

williams and trophy

hehe craggys old 1 is not really a patch on mine in the same trim tbh with you mate.iv run em both back to back over same terrain ......the 2 handles n rides exactly the same as the 1 but it just seems to lack a little in the power delivery for some reason.(rides exactly the same apart from the extra stiffness the shox give the 1 in body roll)

hehe u gunna let craggy go down the strip in it?

have u seen wot this guy does to reno boxes lmfao

Nice swan Rhys! Good choice of mota if I do say so myself... Mine wouldve been a W reg too, but I hung out a month and got them to register it in Sept 00 as an X reg instead. Anyhow, check youve got an alloy spare wheel as all the pukka UK cars from that period came with one and I dont think the imports did. You might also find that your car is covered under a technical note whereby if you complain enough about a noisy cam belt you can get a new one + pulleys etc fitted at no charge!

What mileage is it mate? I just had my 36000 service done and it cost a whopping £550 - so beware if its not had that one yet!!!

Let us know how you get on.

Matt

£550!?!?!?! WTF! How could it cost that much???? The car has nearly 25k on the clock, so a way to go yet before the 36k service. It does have an alloy spare too.

I wouldnt be exaggerating to say that the car is in 100% mint condition. It looks like its not been used for three years. Interior is mint, exterior is mint, no bodywork. The guy we bought it off told me that if the choice was between his girlfriend and his car, his girlfriend would be packing her bags. Hes also asked for first refusal if and when I sell it. I felt so guilty taking his car away from him!

Yes, I am now the proud part-owner of my own 162 ;)

...or 127 as 2 live would like us to believe... :sick:

Yeah, £550 seemed a bit rich to me too, but I had to have shocks, rear discs and pads plus a fook load of other stuff too and adding Renault labour costs it all added up.

I wish mine was 100% mint still :( - my lightweight bonnet and putty front bumper have combined to make a chipped to hell front area. Bugger. Maybe get it sprayed in a year or two?

Youll have to post up your 80-120 times - Im keen to find out if mine is good or bad - I held 80 then floored it in 4th and got about 7 to 110 :)o) and 14 to 120.

williams and trophy

;)

my 80-120 times are about the same as craggys...............but that was with all babyseats n rear seats in

Quote: Originally posted by matt4478 on 15 June 2003

Youll have to post up your 80-120 times - Im keen to find out if mine is good or bad - I held 80 then floored it in 4th and got about 7 to 110 :)o) and 14 to 120.
Hmmm.....7 to 110 then 14 to 120....thats odd. 4th gear is mental on the MK1 172 - 110 to 120 seems to take no time at all. 7 seconds is ages! In fact acceleration from 80mph in 5th seems very strong too. Will try it with AP22 and with stop watch later on.

Jon - did you time your 80-120? Interested to know what your Willy will do it in with all interior in.

Rhys

Yeah, I only did the one impromptu run to 120 (well, limiter in 4th anyway - which is just shy of 120 IMHO). You try 4th at 110 and youll see what I mean - its just revving the knackers off it and not accelerating too fast - I think 5th may be a better bet by that speed? 4th really seems to have done its best work by 110 in mine. I agree that 5th gear is damn strong at cruising speed - it was a toss-up as to whether to try the whole run in 4th or 5th actually, but I went for 4th anyway. 80 to 110 was just stocking quick, but it was asif someone stole my engine at that point and replaced it with a 1.2!

If yours pulls hard at 110 in 4th Ill have to get mine looked at - I can just imagine explaining that one to the mechanics at Renault! :oops:

williams and trophy

rhys mate no dint time it but we were both gunning it lol think craggy pulled out a little on me at 1 point but soon clawed him back lol

so with babyseats out n all the sh*t that goes with em shud be even better lol

clio williams, Ph1 172

Cool, Looks good from the pics.

never knew they had an aluminium bonnet on mk1s. Dont bloody drop the bonnet on the battery charger connections on it, or itll be aluminium with a load of filler making it heavy lol.

Will have to arrange another RR day round here soon.

clio williams, Ph1 172

Cool, Looks good from the pics.

never knew they had an aluminium bonnet on mk1s. Dont bloody drop the bonnet on the battery charger connections on it, or itll be aluminium with a load of filler making it heavy lol.

Will have to arrange another RR day round here soon. Think Mine might put out a fair bit more ;)

Quote: Originally posted by CooperS-Boy on 16 June 2003

Nice one mate. Look forward to a blat on the dronnie bypass soon!!!!
Sure thing, although it might be worth remembering that a bloke died last night going round that hard sweeping left before it drops down the big at the top of where we were doing AP22 runs. Paper said that he hit the barrier at "considerable speed" and ended up on his roof in the oncoming traffic. :sick: Can we slow down before that one please...!

Not bad but where are the 0-100s?;)

Hoes does you AP22 correspond with you speedo Rhys? does it change to 60mph on the AP22 as you pass over real 60mph on you speedo - or does it take a few seconds to catch up? On std settings I have to do 70mph on my speedo (about 65/66 real) to register 60 on the AP22:confused:

The 172 clocks are 100% perfect. Okay, 99.9%! When driving at any speed on the speedo, the GPS unit agrees within a few 1/100ths of a MPH. Not done a 100 run yet.

I know what you mean about the AP22 updating the speed. Im not sure about the 172, but I calibrated for the Williams to be about right. Will check it out in molre detail later I hope.

Rhys

Well on std settings im getting 0-60 in 8.5 secs:oops: but on video im am very similar to KDF_s run though most of his 0-100.I need a digital recording so I can post it up here!!

Also tested my car against my sisters RS1800 (0-60 8.3, 0-100 23secs) and was a lot faster to 60 and 100mph- so my car aint that slow! I cannot understand why my AP22 is reading so strangely!!

Will test it in the RS aswell on wednesday and see what it gets!

Nice one Ryhs glad to see your back in the 127 club and raring to go!!!!

Are you planning a sheff meet soon? When are you off to York.

Thats enough boasting, my friend! You had better take damn fine care of that car... I want it back one day... Anyway, how come you didnt send me that picture you posted like you said you would??

Andrew