ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

“Charlotte” The 182 FF

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Meant to post this one, also been replacing the bolts with zinc plated ones just to tidy it up.

F2A1DF4D-720E-4849-9549-B5DCB86A1B1A.jpeg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Two new tyres going on as the two rears were at the end of life anyway so its was a reasonable time to do it.

Also, being French its decided to have a special new feature where key fob doesn't work, but only when its on my drive. It works fine if I move it 15ft to my neighbours either side but on my drive nada.... worked fine until now. Not sure I can be that fussed to resolve it though.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
So, I’ve noticed at some point there has been a small leak from the thermostat but I can’t work out if there is a gasket and the o-ring for thermostat or just the o-ring? I’m tempted to change the hoses as well as they’re looking pretty tired and the last thing I need is a hose split!

B9A1E889-EA00-4173-84DF-14E79D2F1C2F.jpeg

It’s not leaking now and is never wet so not a major issue right now but if I’m taking all the hoses off I may as well fix it as well.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
So, I’ve noticed at some point there has been a small leak from the thermostat but I can’t work out if there is a gasket and the o-ring for thermostat or just the o-ring? I’m tempted to change the hoses as well as they’re looking pretty tired and the last thing I need is a hose split!

View attachment 1622678
It’s not leaking now and is never wet so not a major issue right now but if I’m taking all the hoses off I may as well fix it as well.
I think this has been the case on all my 182s as the mating surfaces on that housing are showing their age. I just replaced the thermostats, then added a bit of silicone and they've been gold. They especially seem to leak around the pipe going to the radiator, so again a bit of silicone around that too.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
The engine management light has come back on, this time with added flashes, although it goes off once moving. Looking at the code reader its a Cylinder 3 mis-fire which makes sense as its felt a but lumpy on idle. So I ordered one new injector and will check a few other things when that arrives to rule out things like a spark plug or lead damage.

I have also dropped my 3 front wheel hubs off at the garage to have the bearing pressed out before they go for blasting and powder coating. I'll drop the rear axle and front subframe off at the same time.

The car also came with some brand new in the box front wishbones, so I will look to swap them out for the originals and take the wishbones for coating as well, I don't intend to do much with any of this right now but getting it ready for next year when the weather turns a bit nicer and then I will swap it all out, the issue was my shed is damp this time of year and I didn't want the parts rotting away anymore than they already have so I can store them all nicely coated and ready to go, I'll just need to get the new bushings at some point.

Finally I also managed to get a cold air intake from @04-182 its the same as @MrBlonde has and will allow a great deal more cold air to intake. I am also looking to block up some of the holes that go from the engine bay into the intake area to reduce the amount of hot air crossing over which should help a tiny bit with hot weather running.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Soooo…. New injector in, checked the spark plugs just to make sure I had the right cylinder and pretty sure I did… no. 3
4FA7EF73-AF4D-4581-AA4D-14901530C3B4.jpeg

So went about changing it. I knew before i started what was about to happen, the fuel rail was pretty hard to get off due to oxidisation onto the injectors. But once off east enough to change.

6AABCC33-EA70-4F49-A205-3106D6E1C764.jpeg

all out back together and it started on the button but I’ve not got a cyclinder 4 misfire 🤣. Think I’ll just order 3 more injectors and be done with it.

69621633-FDA2-4B2F-9323-89CFE7C48D88.jpeg
B2A56911-433E-48CE-9F89-C66714E958CD.jpeg
59D58287-E70D-45FF-B679-6BD8AAC1101A.jpeg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Id change the rest. If you have access to clip, reset fuelling adaptives so it adjusts to suit. Its not 100% necessary but its like the icing on the cake.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Id change the rest. If you have access to clip, reset fuelling adaptives so it adjusts to suit. Its not 100% necessary but its like the icing on the cake.

Just bought 3 more. Sadly I don’t have Clip, might see if anyone local does. I do have a cheap icarsoft but guessing that won’t do it.

i knew as soon as i looked at them that I should have just got 4.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Its not necessary to do it, but its nice. Id imagine most mid range scanners might be able to reset fuelling adaptives.

I reset the throttle adaptives on mine whilst in and it ran class, the throttle was so responsive.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Its not necessary to do it, but its nice. Id imagine most mid range scanners might be able to reset fuelling adaptives.

I reset the throttle adaptives on mine whilst in and it ran class, the throttle was so responsive.
good to know, I’ll see what options it has and if not I’ll take it to my mates garage and get it done.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Cars almost un drive able at this point. Miss fires are worse now and getting about 20mpg so think I’ll park it up until spares arrive to get it sorted. May also end up putting new plugs in again as these are pretty coked up on 3&4 and I’m not sure that’ll resolve itself.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
As I’m still waiting for Evri to deliver the new injectors that were handed to them on the 24th I went out and did some data logging on the o2 sensors. Im pretty sure the pre cat sensor is dead / dying as the following is what I’m seeing. It starts okay, slowly ebbs to 0v then when driving is all over the place high highs and low lows as well as some “okay” readings. I also wonder if this is connected to the misfires as I swapped out the cylinder 3 injector to cylinder 4 and now I have a cylinder 1 misfire lol.

On the drive static
54038D54-DBED-4A43-B603-49DD8F0FE64B.jpeg

driving
51C7E106-FBD0-4E43-A4A2-5348761FE71D.jpeg

driving doing pulls
CD3B9643-492E-4D04-B2A6-E4355385A468.jpeg

back on the drive
CFD82CAF-2CD4-4223-B305-B390BCE48D5C.jpeg

I have the new pre cat sensor so I’ll put that on at some point but really need the injectors as I’d like to do it all at the same time ideally.

but any thoughts on the above appreciated

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I won’t bore with loads of photos but it’s all fixed. New o2 sensor made quite a big difference but it was still misfiring.

i ended up with 6 new injectors as EVRi delivered the AUTODOC ones today I announced and the ones I bought from ECP also arrived so now I have spares I guess.

replaced all the injectors and she’s super smooth again, idles nicely and the codes haven’t come back. Pretty pleased all told.

I also suspect the o2 sensor was the overall cause as my mpg was never more than 30mph really but it’s now getting high 30s when pottering about. One to keep an eye on.

0E66227A-2A1C-4A32-AA3F-B7571637C8B2.jpeg

5DA29A21-361F-4A99-8535-4837C243EB87.jpeg

Next up will be hoses and thermostat as the hoses look pretty tired and the thermostat is leaking ever so slightly.

also the rear axle and subframe and ancillaries are soon off to be powder coated.

Did you just spray alcohol on and rub away the stickiness of the interior plastics?

Last edited:

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
It’s been a while since I did much with the Clio but I’ve been collecting some parts, today I had some time and given I had a small coolant leak I replace the hoses and while the bumper was off I’d fit the cold air duct that @04-182 kindly supplied to me.

Reading others reports the main issue was going to be the plastic clips that go into the heater matrix, but all told it went okay save for some of the clips being the wrong size.

D9ADA67F-9DD2-4A2C-A5D6-0DDF3C2D2473.jpeg

fair bit of crust from the small leak

5732759D-C037-4D87-BE42-17D539E61941.jpeg

all jacked up, getting pretty quick at taking the bumper off, might fit some quick releases

50094665-A8CF-4B2B-ACF6-8B4A9C28430C.jpeg

Also replaced the thermostat, didn’t need to really but while it was apart it seemed sensible.

88CADD55-6651-4482-87DB-F7E5A2021337.jpeg

what I did here was cut the metal clips off and left the plastic connected, then just pushed the new hoses on, seemed easier than disconnecting the actual clips

23C804F7-1DA0-4729-88BE-CA6E48819909.jpeg

then once it was all done on to this

5238E366-3F1A-4B31-BA30-5D31C05B3AC3.jpeg

i also bought a cheap plug to over the hole near the headlight to just reduce the heat soak a bit.

BF1FA81F-076F-4720-8376-637DA0CFB536.jpeg

All done

1B08D88E-8745-470F-9A9F-C52A3F9DC99C.jpeg

I also picked up a k-brace for cheaps as I fancied losing the back seats but wanted something to hold the spare wheel in place. Works a treat. Just need the carpet to arrive

2A27F02D-DD42-415D-A167-06BD9F06C138.jpeg

the rear axle I got is at the powder coater, I’ll be taking the subframe etc over next week then I’ll be getting on with swapping them over.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
It’s been a while since I did much with the Clio but I’ve been collecting some parts, today I had some time and given I had a small coolant leak I replace the hoses and while the bumper was off I’d fit the cold air duct that @04-182 kindly supplied to me.

Reading others reports the main issue was going to be the plastic clips that go into the heater matrix, but all told it went okay save for some of the clips being the wrong size.

View attachment 1629607

fair bit of crust from the small leak

View attachment 1629608

all jacked up, getting pretty quick at taking the bumper off, might fit some quick releases

View attachment 1629609

Also replaced the thermostat, didn’t need to really but while it was apart it seemed sensible.

View attachment 1629610

what I did here was cut the metal clips off and left the plastic connected, then just pushed the new hoses on, seemed easier than disconnecting the actual clips

View attachment 1629611

then once it was all done on to this

View attachment 1629612

i also bought a cheap plug to over the hole near the headlight to just reduce the heat soak a bit.

View attachment 1629613

All done

View attachment 1629616

I also picked up a k-brace for cheaps as I fancied losing the back seats but wanted something to hold the spare wheel in place. Works a treat. Just need the carpet to arrive

View attachment 1629615

the rear axle I got is at the powder coater, I’ll be taking the subframe etc over next week then I’ll be getting on with swapping them over.
What size is the blanking plug you used?