ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.5 dci 80 or 1.4 petrol?

Hi,

Im considering selling my 2003 fiesta as im sick of the lack of speed, poor MPG and no ABS.

My question to you all is which one is the more adviseable car 2 buy?

1.5dci 80bhp or the 1.4 petrol?

I do about 12,000 miles a year so i was wondering is the diesel would be worth it? Plus i like the idea of £35 a year road tax.

Thanks

Ben

Well diesel is cheaper/same price as petrol at the moment

That was what i was thinking what are the typical MPG of each car on an typical combined cycle? Im getting about 35MPG from my car at the minute what are the petrol clios like?

1.4's are slow & s**t on fuel

go for the 1.5 dci mate

Do you know what theyre like to drive? I learnt to drive in a clio 1.5dci 65 obviously i wasnt exactly abusing it whilst learning to drive.

Iv heard that you can get some significant power gains from a remap and better intercooler possibly from a 100bhp model?

Thanks

Ben

impreza sti prodrive
Do you know what theyre like to drive? I learnt to drive in a clio 1.5dci 65 obviously i wasnt exactly abusing it whilst learning to drive.

Iv heard that you can get some significant power gains from a remap and better intercooler possibly from a 100bhp model?

Thanks

Ben

yes i do mate. my sister has a 1.5dci & my mam has a 1.4 petrol. the dci is a better car & you can get it re mapped but i duno what the gains will be

80 is the better all rounder, 100 is supposed to have a weaker gearbox, but I've never heard off anyone having to actually replace it.

Chelsea tractor
1.4 16v gets about 45mpg average, 1.5 dci gets about 60mpg odd... Go for the oil burner ;)

80 is the better all rounder, 100 is supposed to have a weaker gearbox, but I've never heard off anyone having to actually replace it.

Iv been reading about it on http://www.cliodci.net (but obviously theyre gunna be a bit biased) iv heard of 110bhp with a remap and the intercooler of a 100bhp 1.5dci. Not sure how the clutch would respond to that lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

100 box is fine, apparently it has its issues but so do all renault boxes, it takes a bit getting used to but its good around town, its no jc5 tho!

Re: 1.5dci 80 or 1.4 petrol?

I used to get about 33 :s

Well i used to get 30MPG from my fiesta which is what made me look at diesel. But recently iv been getting 38-40MPG because iv been driving a little more carefully (mainly driving at 55-60mph instead of 85-90mph)

185lb/ft dCi
Iv been reading about it on http://www.cliodci.net (but obviously theyre gunna be a bit biased) iv heard of 110bhp with a remap and the intercooler of a 100bhp 1.5dci. Not sure how the clutch would respond to that lol

I ain't biased my friend, choice is up to you, we just state the facts. if you want a higher revving engine go for the petrol but if you want an all rounder with lots of potential go for the dci :)

oh and the clutch should be fine as long as its treated with respect.

I ain't biased my friend, choice is up to you, we just state the facts. if you want a higher revving engine go for the petrol but if you want an all rounder with lots of potential go for the dci :)

lol I thought i recognised your name :eek: from cliodci.net

There is much to like about the diesel but like i say iv never really driven a diesel before and am not sure about what it would be like to live with. What are they like on country roads for example? I know it would excel on the motorway/dual carraigeway.

Thanks

Ben

185lb/ft dCi
lol i thought i recognised your name :eek: from cliodci.net
there is much to like about the diesel but like i say iv never really driven a diesel before and am not sure about what it would be like to live with. What are they like on country roads for example? I knoe it would excel on the motorway/dual carraigeway.

Thanks

Ben

country roads would be friggin awesome! midrange torque would make it feel real quick, i love coming off roundabouts and booting it! I've never driven an 1*2 but martin has driven both and says his dci handles more like a 1*2 than a 1.2. there is a heavy feel to the steering and they have good anti roll bars.

the only reason there aren't more people driving around in the dci's is because most of the people on here don't want to drive a diesel, which i've never understood why.

country roads would be friggin awesome! midrange torque would make it feel real quick, i love coming off roundabouts and booting it! I've never driven an 1*2 but martin has driven both and says his dci handles more like a 1*2 than a 1.2. there is a heavy feel to the steering and they have good anti roll bars.

the only reason there aren't more people driving around in the dci's is because most of the people on here don't want to drive a diesel, which i've never understood why.

Im not expecting it to go like a 1*2 but is it going to feel any faster than say a 1.4 petrol clio?

What kind of gains am i likely to see from an uprated intercooler and remap?

Thanks

Ben

185lb/ft dCi
I have not driven a 1.4 petrol but it will feel faster day to day driving as with the petrol you will have to rev the arse off it to get it to move anywhere. if you mapped the dci80 it would wipe the floor with a 1.4 you will be most likely beat 1.6's too.

you don't need to uprate the intercooler on the dci80, benefits don't outweigh the effort tbh, you will see 110bhp and alot of torque from a straight remap.

I have not driven a 1.4 petrol but it will feel faster day to day driving as with the petrol you will have to rev the arse off it to get it to move anywhere. if you mapped the dci80 it would wipe the floor with a 1.4 you will be most likely beat 1.6's too.

you don't need to uprate the intercooler on the dci80, benefits don't outweigh the effort tbh, you will see 110bhp and alot of torque from a straight remap.

This is definately sounding like the way to go. I think ill have a good look around for a dci80. Is there anything thats really desireable on these cars climate control, electric sunroof, auto lights wiper etc?

The car i learnt to drive in had all of the above any of them i should be particularly lookin out for?

Thanks

Ben

JJT

1.4 16v Dynamique+
Haven't driven a dci but i think my 1.4 is pretty good for what it is. Have an uprated panel filter and full exhaust system and it seems a lot more lively and responsive. However as stated above it does have to be revved quite high to get any 'speed' out of it resulting in (for the engine size) poor mpg!

Haven't driven a dci but i think my 1.4 is pretty good for what it is. Have an uprated panel filter and full exhaust system and it seems a lot more lively and responsive. However as stated above it does have to be revved quite high to get any 'speed' out of it resulting in (for the engine size) poor mpg!

Sounds like my 1.4 Fiesta. Im looking for an upgrade nt just change of badge lol. I think my next car will be powered by the black stuff

JJT

1.4 16v Dynamique+
Sounds like my 1.4 Fiesta. Im looking for an upgrade nt just change of badge lol. I think my next car will be powered by the black stuff

may well be the right choice then! Would love the torque of a diesel but cant stand the noise they make especially in small cars, just seems out of place and reminds me of tractors! lol. But for what your after a dci would be much more cost efficient so probably is the right choice.

185lb/ft dCi
This is definately sounding like the way to go. I think ill have a good look around for a dci80. Is there anything thats really desireable on these cars climate control, electric sunroof, auto lights wiper etc?

The car i learnt to drive in had all of the above any of them i should be particularly lookin out for?

Thanks

Ben

depends what sort of spec you want really, i wouldn't mind climate control but the engine bay is pretty tight as it is so another thing in there would put me off! I would love to have an electric sunroof the manual ones may as well not be there, they open about an inch! auto lights and wipers i wouldn't be fussed about, just another thing to go wrong imo.

have you had a look through the buyers guide? comes in handy when looking around, http://www.cliodci.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2

2003 clio dci billabong
Hi mate
I've got a dci 80,& it's a nice car to be honest I bought it for the mpg as I use it for work so wasn't too fused about the performance but was pleasantly surprised,pulls very well,mpg is awsome road tax £35 it's a no brainer.My normal car is a JDM Celica GT4 which is 350bhp 4 wheel drive & I still get a hoot out of the Clio,so I'd recommend.

Evo 8 MR
Looking at Parkers it states that the 1.5 DCi 80 is slower than the 1.4 16v and surprisingly will cost you double the amount to insure yourself on it!

Think of that what you will but imo the petrol wins hands down as a car that sounds like a transit = fail.

2003 clio dci billabong
Tuning wise the turbos gonna win every time,if you want the dci to trounce the 1.4 it ain't gonna cost much,then you won't need to worry about the noise because you'l be so far ahead,plus if your hammering it your still getting 50+mpg,I really can't see the downside.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at Parkers it states that the 1.5 DCi 80 is slower than the 1.4 16v and surprisingly will cost you double the amount to insure yourself on it!

Think of that what you will but imo the petrol wins hands down as a car that sounds like a transit = fail.

thats just figures though, figures dont tell the full story, the diesel doesnt rev high so its going to take 3rd gear before it hits 60 so 0-60 its going to look slower, but put them both side by side at 60mph in 3rd gear and watch the 1.4 be covered in a big dirty cloud of black smoke.

id say down a country road my dci feels like a 150bhp petrol car with that big lump of torque hitting you coming out bends

as mentioned ive got a modded 172 and a dci 100 and they both feel very similar to drive, dci just having slightly softer suspension setup but the levels of grip arnt much different, same cant be said for a 1.2! as far as im aware the 1.4 has the sports suspension setup that the dci's have so still should handle better than the 1.2 models

as for options to look out for the main ones are....
Air Conditioning (not sure if it was standard on 80's actually?)
Climate Control (was an expensive extra think from memory £600 or £800)
Electric Sunroof
Xenon front headlights

dCi 80 tractor
dci 80 all the way good motorway cruiser overtakes well and it still returns 60+mpg ive never got below 50mpg out of mine.

Clio 182
DCI is the best option.

I was quite frankly shocked when I first test drove mine, going from a 1.2 clio. They pull so well. Having it remapped has notched it up another step. It's the torque that puts a smile on your face.
Plus my DCI costs about half as much to run as my 1.2
Only downside I can see to the DCI is my front tyres don't seem to be lating that long with the abuse from the turbo. Cheap tyres though

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L
Same here i have a DCI 80, installed a tdi-tuning box onto it and i have a longlife performance exhaust installed, its returning around 100bhp now and thats before a service, my car has not been serviced in a while so hopefully it should run quite a bit better once serviced...

Next plan for me will be a decat, as the dci's are MOT friendly even with a decat, and should be able to squeeze a couple bhp by getting one...

Also even with a hard foot i still get around 45-50mpg, and on the motorway reaching 65mpg, cant go wrong to be honest...

Had a little run with one of my mates who got a 1.4 16v clio mk2 ph1, which are 100bhp standard, my car had no problem against his due to the torque and power of the diesel, you need a pretty long strip in order to be beaten by one as the diesel is great up until 5th gear...