ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.7 volvo turbo engine into clio

hi everyone, im looking for a bit of info on the above conversion if anyone could help.
iv already got a volvo 440 turbo and looking for a cheap clio now, am i right in thinking that it will be easier starting off with a rsi 8v? as i dont need to change gearbox, shafts, engine mounts etc or are they the same on all models?
iv also heard that the wiring is a big problem so would appreciate some help with this. would it be possible to use the inlet and carb from a r5 turbo and get that re-jetted etc.
ill be doing the conversion myself so the labour cost isnt a problem
cheers
scott

BMW M135i & E46 M3
i was thinking of doing this conversion....but then thought too much hassle so i'm gonna go for the williams!!
you want to speak 2 djwDave (think thats his name) hes already done the conversion so he will probably know all there is to know.
i think the only major problem is the wiring of the loom.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah biggest problem is the wiring and your right about starting with a RSi, you need a few parts from them so you may as well.

PM Djw Dave and tell him to reply or he doesnt get a shot of my 172!

Yeah biggest problem is the wiring and your right about starting with a RSi, you need a few parts from them so you may as well.

PM Djw Dave and tell him to reply or he doesnt get a shot of my 172!
i pm'd him a few days ago but never got a reply, maybe he'll reply on here then it will help anyone else wanting to know aswell :)

audi a3 1.8t sport
this is mine didant think the wiring is that bad i started off with an rsi and the engine conversion was a pees of piss biggast pane in the arse is the pipe work

Last edited:
  audi a3 1.8t sport
mine is soon to be running about 170bhp so it pulls them along pritty well i chase 172 cups all the time as it is (140bhp)

audi a3 1.8t sport
i used a throttle cable kit from renault you get all the right bits its spot on it costs about £15

audi a3 1.8t sport
its a universal one that you can get for the renault 5 you only need to extend the cable by about 4inch it has all the stuff to bo so in the kit

got one from a 1.2 today from scrap yard, looks about the right length but ill check tomorrow.
what colour wire is the rev counter on the renault loom?
cheers

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
Hey Scott, Ive just bought a clio rsi within the last week and straight away decided to Turbo it, but a few guys on here said its not worth it just instead get a volvo 1.7t...Ive been searching for the engine but cant find it on ebay right this minute, where did you get yours and how much for? cheers

Hey Scott, Ive just bought a clio rsi within the last week and straight away decided to Turbo it, but a few guys on here said its not worth it just instead get a volvo 1.7t...Ive been searching for the engine but cant find it on ebay right this minute, where did you get yours and how much for? cheers
pm replied to ;)

nath ill try the white wire and if it doesnt work ill get pics.
what did you do to your engine mount?

scott

did you just use the renault mount bolted onto 2 holes or tap another one?
doesnt really matter now as iv made a bracket up to mount mine.
what intercooler are you using? iv got the volvo one atm buts ita little to big lol

clio mk1
Re: gt 5 1.4 turbo engine into clio

hi guys i got a 1.2 mk1 clio i wana put a gt 5 turbo engine init has anyone got any info or pics i could have a look at to help me along

cheers

audi a3 1.8t sport
did you just use the renault mount bolted onto 2 holes or tap another one?
doesnt really matter now as iv made a bracket up to mount mine.
what intercooler are you using? iv got the volvo one atm buts ita little to big lol
one off ebay 3 1/2" core cost about £120 and it fits spot on and it rated to 300hp

A

ashy_gtt

Re: gt 5 1.4 turbo engine into clio

hi guys i got a 1.2 mk1 clio i wana put a gt 5 turbo engine init has anyone got any info or pics i could have a look at to help me along

cheers

Join www.rtoc.org loads of articles on there with guides of how to do both conversions... they cover everything you need to know such as:

What is needed?
Making room
Gearbox and Driveshafts
Fitting the engine
Wiring
Main Lives
AEI
Starter
Alternator
Reverse Light
Radiator
Fuel Pump