ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

10 Things You Didn't Know About The Clio 182

RB Clio 182
Your mpg drops on the trip computer when you have your key turned to the 2nd click but the car isnt yet running.

An orange one
A stage 42 Astra VXR is quicker in a straight line than a standard 182.

But if you remap your 182 the Astra will implode before the lights change........

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
If owned long enough it will effectively turn into a new car with all the parts that you'll need to replace.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
The 5k kick isn't VVT as commonly believed, VVT change actually occurs around 1650 RPM.

The article about the comparison of the F4R to an F1 engine was written by Icarus I believe. But I can't for the life of me find it.

I do however have the content of the thread:

The F4R..... Just like an F1 Engine!

Well in one important respect anyway. I'm just finishing up an engine spec (silly AM finish again!!) and whilst glancing through my pistons speeds spreadsheet noticed something pretty interesting. We all know the F4R has a very long stroke at 93mm, indeed it's one of the longest performance I4 stroke engines that there is out there, what a lot of people don't twig is what effect this has on peak piston speeds. Piston speed is a pretty simple concept, it's the peak speed the piston reaches on it's way up or down the bore and it's one of the main limiting factors in how high you can make an engine rev.

A unamed current F1 engine that might be built in Northampton and be associated with a tin duck has a stroke of around 39.7mm (not taking rod stretch etc. into account). From the stroke and max RPM we can calculate the piston speed, in this case the engine revs to 18,000RPM giving a peak piston speed of 23.82 m/s

The F4R 730 has a stroke of 93mm and revs to 7200RPM out the box giving a piston speed of 22.32 m/s........ only a touch less than the F1 lump but (and it's a big but) in Clio Cup spec these engines rev'd to 7800RPM on standard bits, indeed we run standard engines at 7800RPM day in, day out and they still last several seasons of circuit racing (although we do recommend a set of ARP rod bolts for sustained use). Now at 7800RPM the peak piston speed rises to 24.18 m/s

24.18 m/s!!!!!!!!! Put simply a completely standard F4R that's had the laptop plugged into it has a higher peak piston speed than what's in the back of Williams F1 cars this season!!

Just thought that might be of interest to some For all the stick French built stuff gets it's a pretty good demonstration of how good the materials and component quality of the standard engine is! It's easily on a par with Hondas K20 engine for example.... and that doesn't even meet Euro 5 like the current 200 spec F4R "

Last edited:
  F56 MINI Cooper S
A stage 42 Astra VXR is quicker in a straight line than a standard 182.

But if you remap your 182 the Astra will implode before the lights change........

a standard Astra VXR is quicker in a straight line, let alone a mapped one. Plus there is no such thing as a stage 42

RB Clio 182
a standard Astra VXR is quicker in a straight line, let alone a mapped one. Plus there is no such thing as a stage 42

I think theyre s**t tbh, whats the point in having a car that has decent straight line speed, and still has decent straight line speed even when you are taking a corner?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You really think having a clio makes you better than having an Astra? They may be chav to you but last time I looked i was on a clio forum...

Not at all, just VXRs have more of a chav following. Chavs aren't as interested in little 2.0l n/a Clio's when they can have oodles of boost which gets bitches dripping.

last I checked I was on a clio forum, I sometimes check that I'm on vxr forums and zetec s forums, not sure how that's relevant though.

That the mirrors are heated, and the aircon models have a blue cover inside the glove box that you open to turn it into a cool box.

And the 182 cup has more front castor over the normal 182

Also how many sub 20yr old plebs drive them.

Is this true of the 172s as well? I have aircon and a little clip in the back of the glove box. no idea about mirrors.How do you turn them on?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Is this true of the 172s as well? I have aircon and a little clip in the back of the glove box. no idea about mirrors.How do you turn them on?

Press the rear screen clear button.

not sure if 182s are the same, but the 197s have heated/self clearing rear view mirror. That comes on when you press the rear screen/wing mirror clear button.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Not at all, just VXRs have more of a chav following. Chavs aren't as interested in little 2.0l n/a Clio's when they can have oodles of boost which gets b**ches dripping.

last I checked I was on a clio forum, I sometimes check that I'm on vxr forums and zetec s forums, not sure how that's relevant though.

my point was how can you class another car chav, when you own a renault clio which is hardly chav free is it

RB 182 FF
The auto lights can be turned off by turning the headlights on and off 3 times in quick succession. (non cup only)

The internal motion sensors can be disabled by turning the ignition on and off 3 times in quick succession.
(handy if you need to leave a dog in the car while you pop in the shops)

The auto wipers can not be turned off in any f*cking way at all!!!! :mad:

DaveDreads you are a legend, I've had my 182 for 2 years and I've only just found out about the auto lights cancellation thanks to you! :) They've always got on my tits when I'm warming the car up and having them on constantly! :mad: But not now, happy days! :D

Clio
How do you turn auto lights back on again? do the same thing three times

Sit in the passenger passenger seat. It has to register that there is no driver and it wasn't done by mistake.

Key in.
Turn ignition on.
Turn the radio up as loud as it will go
Lights on.
flash full beam 5 times.
Turn the interior light on and off repeatedly
Turn radio down.
Press the horn twice
turn lights off
then on and off 3 times until main beam
Switch ignition off
Take key out.

RB 182 FF
Sit in the passenger passenger seat. It has to register that there is no driver and it wasn't done by mistake.

Key in.
Turn ignition on.
Turn the radio up as loud as it will go
Lights on.
flash full beam 5 times.
Turn the interior light on and off repeatedly
Turn radio down.
Press the horn twice
turn lights off
then on and off 3 times until main beam
Switch ignition off
Take key out.