ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 - show me your brakes.

As per title please. I'd like to see some pics of uprated brakes and any info if possible. How much did it cost and was it worth it etc?

Fiesta ST3
no pics or experience as yet as it all still has to go on yet but i have got

ferodo premiere rear pads .........£14.99
green stuff front pads ..............£44.99
goodridge braided lines .............£44.00
brembo max hc disc's ...............£81.00
2l castrol responce brake fluid ...£11.50

so all in ................................£196.48

but as i say its still sat boxed up waiting to go on when i get a few hours spare but i am hoping it will be worth it ??

Cool, cheers. Are you not changing the rear discs too? I would also be consider 4-pot calipers for my upgrade. Probably overkill.

VaVa
The rears do next to nothing and don't wear anywhere near as quick as the fronts. I'm on my third set of fronts and have only changed the rears once.

I run OEM discs and EBC greenstuffs front and Tarox rear pads. Slightly better than standard but you still need a fair bit of pedal pressure to really heave them on. Initial bite was improved with the Greenstuffs at first, but if I'm honest they don't feel a great deal different to the OEM pads.

I think four pots etc are overkill. My standard brakes have enough power to lock the wheels from most speeds - It's more about improving feel and resistance to fade. I've driven a saxo with four pots and the brakes were like an on-off switch lol.

If you doing serious track work get some Brembo HC discs and pagid blues or similar. I think that's the set up the Cup racers use.

Yeah cheers for the advice. Funny what you say about the greenstuffs, because I too thought they were awesome at first, but now I guess they aren't, or I wouldn't be considering an upgrade. I've done 37k miles and never been on track, so the fluid should be ok, right? Although obviously I would go for new fluid and braided hoses anyway.

Rear discs - yeah but mine are pretty shot, and I'd like to replace them with something that at least looks a bit special. Is there a danger of seriously f**king up the balance of the car by upgrading rear dics etc? I guess not as long as the calipers remain OEM.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I run Freodo DS2500 on my 182. Had them on my Cup for 2.5yrs before hand too!! These pads and standard discs are a good combo. Looking around £100 ish for the front pads and new discs, good value for money, and a good upgrade imo.

BMW M135i
Front - Brembo HC Discs/Greenstuff Pads
Rear - Standard Renault Discs/Greenstuff Pads

With goodridge lines and castrol super responce fluid, does me just fine.

All in about £300 or so, rear discs are bloody expensive!

Clio Sport 172 phII
brake fluid shoud be changed every 2 years, I change it every year, and one more thing, they say, if you have ESP on your carn, you should use brake fluid with DOT 5.1 standard, personaly I use from Ferodo, in Croatia it's about 12€ 1 L , and for brake pad's I personaly recomend Ferodo DS2500 ( http://k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2346 ), and for front disc I would recomend Brembo max, and for the back disc, I would recomend, that you use original renault...

Cheers for the input guys. Surely if the fluid is meant to be changed at 2 years, it would have been done in a service? Oh wait...

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
P1010482.jpg

Mondeo TDCI 130
Cost £600 with a new set of pads & discs, are they any better, can't comment, but they look good!!!

15092007230.jpg

15092007229.jpg

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I got braided lines, ferrodo ds2500 pads and brembo HC discs (cheaper than OE discs). Whole package cost about £200. Slight improvement in normal use, but they are far more resistent to fade and you can beat on them much longer then the OE setup.

I wouldn't both spending £££ on the rear, stick with standard.

Stick with dot 4 brake fluid, 5.1 is way overkill for a clio and is a lot more hydroscopic, meaning it will take on water if you don't change it frequently. Water in brake fluid = fade.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
BBPT Power Slot discs with Pagid Fast Roads pads, seemed very good, only did 3,000 miles on them though before selling the car.

RenaultClioSport172CompleteArchive2.gif

clio 200 F4Rt
£800 is supply only

and just a front kit.... you dont really need anything done to the rears with this setup on! :D

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
DSC00450.jpg

Was £950 + Vat and fitting, Have been on the car a long time now so i'm used to them - but i've been told they are alot better..

I think four pots etc are overkill. My standard brakes have enough power to lock the wheels from most speeds - It's more about improving feel and resistance to fade. I've driven a saxo with four pots and the brakes were like an on-off switch lol.

If you doing serious track work get some Brembo HC discs and pagid blues or similar. I think that's the set up the Cup racers use.

Cup racers have a choice of pads they can use.

Personaly for long term use 4 pots although they do cost more are Imo worthwhile.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
FRONT

Mocal SS lines - £27
Exchange re-furb calipers - £70 per side = (£140)
Bembo max disks - £80
Carbon Loraine Pads - £80

REAR

EBC Groved Disks - £57 + £80 for drivemaster bearings (pair) £10 pressed in
Mintex Extreem Pads -£25
Mocal SS lines - £18
Recon Exchange Calipers £61 per side = £122

FLUID

AP 600 fluid 1ltr £39 + 500ml £23 (full bleed)

TOTAL

£701 all in.. (no fitting as i did it all)

Can anyone tell me where you can buy these Brembo HC front discs from? Are they around £80.00 including VAT or plus VAT?

Cheers

Rich