ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 strut top knocking fix

Cooper S JCW
Waiting to hear back from Fred - need to give him a chance to resolve it but if no contact back from him tomorrow then I will buy a set from you Dave!

Munchkin - Fred has spoken to me about this this evening.

I have got another packed here to send to you tomorrow registered post, as you seem to have some light fingered postmen around your parts. I heard you recieved an empty envelope.

You have had two sets posted out to you now... we only had a problem with one other package which again seems they thought it was cash.

/y0z

Clio 172 Ph2
y0z / Fred,

If you've got any left, I think I'll get some just for a laugh :)

Don't suppose you do TDC sensors too do you? It would save me a trip to renault ;)

Cooper S JCW
Arrived today in jiffy bag :)

They just posted it through though - I thought they had to get a signature for recorded - robbing gits!

Thanks Yoz

i would like mine re-sent too please.

mine were the other ones that arrived in an empty, split open envelope. I reported this a while ago, before Munchkin in fact :)

Clio 172 Ph2
Cheers y0z, mine arrived safe and sound about 10 mins ago via std. 1st class post - i.e. no signature required. I guess my postmen are honest ;)

Rather than using recorded delivery, would it not be simpler (and perhaps just as effective) to just write 'automotive washers' on the package or something?!

Lionel Richie
i would like mine re-sent too please.

mine were the other ones that arrived in an empty, split open envelope. I reported this a while ago, before Munchkin in fact :)

we've sent you out 2 sets now!! LOL

i'lll check with yoz tomorrow morning, i'm 99% sure of that

Lionel Richie
christ you don't hang around, i'll get them in the post tomorrow am

Fubar i'll double check the situation with yours tomorrow also

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Sorry if i missed it, but what EXACTLY does this cure problem wise?

I have a grinding noise when i hit full lock - left and right and it is maybe getting booked into Renault next week for their fix.

I'm just wondering if it solves this or does it solve a completly different knock?

One last thing, i have a knock in 1st gear and to a lesser degree in 2nd gear when accelerating and pulling my foot of the gas pedal does it solve this too or is that a engine mount?? (guess)

Cheers

Cooper S JCW
Fitted these today - took 3 mins total - the simplest fix ever - cured my knocking on full lock left and right!

Thanks Fred/Yozza

Lionel Richie
Sorry if i missed it, but what EXACTLY does this cure problem wise?

I have a grinding noise when i hit full lock - left and right and it is maybe getting booked into Renault next week for their fix.

I'm just wondering if it solves this or does it solve a completly different knock?

One last thing, i have a knock in 1st gear and to a lesser degree in 2nd gear when accelerating and pulling my foot of the gas pedal does it solve this too or is that a engine mount?? (guess)

Cheers

ok here's the basic answer

all RSclios suffer from the top suspension retaining caps hitting the metal work around th strut tops when on full lock (as the whole strut rotates along with these caps when you turn the wheel)

Renaults offical fix is to let dealers grind the s**t out of the strut tops, which i've always seen as a bit of a bodge, whatever happened to testing a vehicle properly??

Now, when i was mucking about with my V6 clio in the workshop i discovered the V6 comes with a washer under the top cap (ID = 18.5mm, OD = 40mm but can be smaller as with ours, and thickness is 3mm)

so on a £12K clio they just left the problem, but with the nigh on £30k v6 they decided that customers wouldn't be happy and spent a whopping few pounds on some washers

now i enquired with renault parts and the washer only comes with the complete V6 top mount kit (which is about £40 per side)

all clios 1998 onwards have the SAME top mount, from 1.2's upto 3.0 V6's!!!

so theres the backgrund to the story, i should've kept it secret, i could've made a fortune!!! the washer story has even reached the shores of Australia, so my fix has now become international LOL

Fred

my new 182 makes the noise... the salesman said he would sort it for me before i pick it up on saturday. I kindly asked him not to bother, as i knew how to fix the promlem myself! lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Knocking while excelerating hard with 3 people+ in the car, will this fix it? It's fine when turning.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
so theres the backgrund to the story, i should've kept it secret, i could've made a fortune!!! the washer story has even reached the shores of Australia, so my fix has now become international LOL

Fred[/quote]

Hi, I am Alex and I own a RS 172 and also have the same grindning noise, today noon I will pick up my ss washers to cure my car

So Fred Your trick even reached the shores of the gulf of Mexico

I changed the clutch few days ago after thatnow when I apply the brakes to stop in a red light there is a TOC in the right side (Pasenger side for us) and when the green light is on I engage Ist gear push the gas and when car start to move there is a grind noise, Could be the same situation with the top mounts or they left some bolt loose?

Best Regards from Mexico

Jap Shed
fren the washers didnt work, do you know how much a std suspention set up will be from renault? springs and dampers?

I purchased a set of these washers from yozzasport and no longer need them, so anyone interested for £5 incl P&P ?

Pm me for details.