ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup -->fiesta St

how would these compare from owning a 172 cup then a Fiesta St
yeah i know the cup is fast to 60 and 100 etc but do you really notice on the road taking into accout torqe is practically the same. How does the st go about the power delivery..

I really like the white st with all the stipes and tints.......i think its a fad tho cos i still love my cup, just want a comparison

106 GTi
Have a look in other Marques there was a thread about it.

The ST is 150 odd brake 2 litre, but said to be easily tuneable (to 200 odd brake). Personally I wouldnt want to go from a 172/182 to the ST. See a few on the road round here and I havent been impressed so far.

Ad

MK2 FRS
I wouldnt, they can picked up quite cheap though!!

Meant to be a great chasis though. Nice solid build. Not the best looking though!!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i'd have a modded one at 2oobhp please!! that is what the fiesta st should have had in the first place... or at least the 170 bhp engine from the focus st old shape imo.

Clio 172 mk2
Clio 172/182 cup is much better than a Fiesta ST in the handling & engine department plus those stripes just look daft.....the onl cars that should have those are Shelby Mustangs and Cobras.

Clio 172mk2
the st was designed to come out first at 150 bhp then later on release a rs ver at 200 bhp , but i think theyve ditched the rs now.

from what ive read about the st one u need to push the engine pritty hard to see some results

cock mobile.
Probably similar to Clio @ 220.

The ST is a very nice car, I wouldn't swap it for my Cup but it looks great, handles well, isn't really much slower.

Nicer interior than the Cup by far, still not fantastic though.

MKIII 138
sh33n said:
Probably similar to Clio @ 220.

The ST is a very nice car, I wouldn't swap it for my Cup but it looks great, handles well, isn't really much slower.

Nicer interior than the Cup by far, still not fantastic though.

you must have a s**t slow cup m8. 172bhp weight 1020kg v 150bhp weight
1137kg

so 117kg heavier and 20bhp down.

also thats bare weight wonder how much the £275 side airbag option put onto that and climate control. the cups wheels are lighter also.

st150 = 129mph top speed 0-60 (official) 7.9 secs yawn
cup = 140 (could argue between 138-140) 0-60 (official) 6.5 <

build quality is obviously miles better on the ford (and thats partly why it weighs more) sound insulation, ride comfort and its a new ford so safety will be exellent for a small car. its also got ABS, TC and possibly ESP
(as an option) resale may be higher also. Handling may actually be better composed but we buy cups for fun

but its no way as fast as a cup or nearly as fast imo. having owned a 172MKII, now a 172cup and driven a ST150 from my local ford garage. dont forget they have 17" wheels also

the st needs smaller wheels to, they run on 17's as standard :S They are crap off the line as well, bit of road near me where you can get to 30mph before it goes single carrige way again, even my 1.6 had one! admittedly all i saw was his dust when it went dual carrige way again.

cock mobile.
meggerman said:
but its no way as fast as a cup or nearly as fast imo. having owned a 172MKII, now a 172cup and driven a ST150 from my local ford garage. dont forget they have 17" wheels also

By no means is it as quick as my Cup. My mate had one for a weekend and we had some fun with each other.

He is a much better driver than me so that really does help.

As for 0-60 etc that's all drag stuff, I was talking more in gear 50 upwards sort of speeds, yes I was ahead, but not by what you would call s**t loads. :)

Red Clio 197 F1
Sorry, wouldn't get an ST150 ever, especially with those stripes!!

Why have manufacutures gone crazy with these stripes - think they are trying to jump on the Mini band wagon!!

Never liked any of those hot hatch fiestas. Just probably the Chavs that drive them (oops sorry, let that slip)

Snotter's
with an exhaust and manifold a lot of the st's put out around 170 bhp,as said above 200 bhp can be had for not a lot of cash.Id rather have a cup anyday though

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
A st150 wont keep up with a full fat 172!! He tried and failed! lol

I've not driven an ST but It would have to be pretty special to make me want to swap my clio for one

Renault ClioSport Cup MK2
I've just bought a Cup having moved on from an Ibiza Cupra 1.8T running 210bhp and i gotta be honest, i wouldnt fancy me in my Cupra against a Cup.

Still cant get over how fast it moves.

MINI JCW
I think the ST is a good car but it is simply underpowered to keep up with the RS clios it would need 200bhp, yes apparently it easy enough to extract that power but then you are adding to the cost of it, particular insurance costs and as the 182/ST are pretty much the same price brand new and the only reason I could give for getting the ST would be the difference in insurance in the 1st place

megane coupe F7R
The st looks ok imo but about 2 weeks ago i pasted one in my valver on the dc, so no there not that fast compared to a cup or any other 172/182. They dont even have as good a power to weight as a valver so that dont say much. Why the fook didnt ford stick a more powerfull engine in?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fiesta looks good, built better, will last longer, you won't spend hours in the local service department, but for some reason, i'd never swap my car for one!

MINI JCW
superfastdan said:
Fiesta looks good, built better, will last longer, you won't spend hours in the local service department, but for some reason, i'd never swap my car for one!

The fiesta may be built better but its hardly Audi quality

172 cup TT
had a run in with these only the other day and over took it with ease tbh... when you can overtake with relative ease then there is quite a gulf of power difference between the two cars.. it was at 3rd gear speed tho which is my best gear imo

Scirocco GT 210
Sorry but I have to laugh at the people who say the fiesta's build quality is superior.... no it isn't!

It's a cheap to buy (even cheaper than a RS clio) Ford. Build quality isn't it's strong point.

As for the ST, whoa, why did they make it so tall and narrow? I parked next to one yesterday and it's like a cube with wheels.

'18 Megane dci
Wouldn't mind a drive just to see what they're like, only seen one in the flesh, that was at Santa Pod...

fat1.gif

Megane Mk4
Dave Cli02 said:
Wouldn't mind a drive just to see what they're like, only seen one in the flesh, that was at Santa Pod...

fat1.gif

is that a standard festa in the background?? because the ST doesnt look any lower than the blue one!

Fords build quality isnt one of the best unfautunately and as for the stripes.... Theres a lot of racing blue clios with them on here. Does that mean they look S**te too?

But to answer the first question, would I swap?

nope, I wouldn't, yeah the festa is quick, but I'd still prefer the clio.
:D

l!ckeldev!l_2k1 said:
is that a standard festa in the background?? because the ST doesnt look any lower than the blue one!

Fords build quality isnt one of the best unfautunately and as for the stripes.... Theres a lot of racing blue clios with them on here. Does that mean they look S**te too?

But to answer the first question, would I swap?

nope, I wouldn't, yeah the festa is quick, but I'd still prefer the clio.
:D

No that's another ST. As for build quality....... In the past I've owned 2 Fords from new and two Renaults from new (one of which is my current car) My old Fiesta Zetec S (owned for 6months back in 2000) was in the workshop for repairs almost every other week. Not had one problem with both of the Clio2s that I've owned. As for build quality no difference - both run of the mill volume car manufacturer products.