ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup performance

I'm wondering what the 172 cup 0-60 time actually is, most are quoted at 6.9 secs but others at 6.5 and all the variations in-between! Just curious really, as my friend has a type r which book time is 6.6 iirc and I'm wondering who will have the edge! I have tried searching but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere! I know that this car has alot more to it than racing in a straight line but just want clarification!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If your wanting to do a comparison between the two cars the general concencus is they are about the same

Dan.

Nippy white cup
In my experience the civics are a bit harder to launch as too little revs can bog you down but too much will spin like crazy (vtec yo lol) as said above they are very similar in performance until high speeds

My experience , the EP3 will have the edge on the straight however depending on the driver which is the biggest edge the clio should have the edge on corners.

HOWEVER

Like i have already said its down to the driver 100%.

In the real world do you not feel that 0-60mph figures are worth nothing so to speak.

True performance is about mid-range , if a car has no mid-range performance after those 6-7 seconds your a little out of luck. How many times do people actually launch there car from STAND STILL to 0-60mph.

Its just my opinion , i would rather have fun around twisty corners then an open straight , straights do not really define a driver as anyone can change gear at a set rpm.

However to your question , i dont think parkers is too far out -

Clio 172 Cup = 6.7 s / 200 Nm / 138 mph / 1021 kg

Civic Type R = 6.4 s / 196 Nm / 146 mph / 1204 kg

Last edited:
  172 cup
nothin between them, maybe the civic will just edge it when your doing silly speeds. a few of my mates have civics and my car is quicker on a quarter mile though

172/vx220t/m135i
To be honest i doubt anyone would notice if the 0-60 was 6.6 or 6.9! Type r and clio would imagine nothing in it really. Not really about straight line speed though are they, much more suited to the twisties. Don't know about anyone else but personally i don't think i've ever had a situation on the road where i've had the opportunity to launch from 0-60 against someone!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Have fun seeing which one of you needs a new gearbox first. I promise it will be the Renault.

i wouldnt be too sure on that roy the ep3's gearbox isnt the strongest if abused.
ep3's spin alot off the line where as the clio just goes so it just goes to the clio. there near identical performance wise.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
had a little play today with one , there was nothing it it what so ever !

Having owned an ep3 and currently, the 172 cup - this.

There is nothing in it. Clio is a little more agile, Civic has better high speed stability.

Independent rear suspension and longer wheel base ftw.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
i wouldnt be too sure on that roy the ep3's gearbox isnt the strongest if abused.
ep3's spin alot off the line where as the clio just goes so it just goes to the clio. there near identical performance wise.

EP3 gearbox is AWSOME. The rate at which it change swap cogs at the engine speeds it can achieve, nothing short of brilliant. They all sound like a bag of nails under 2krpm mind you.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
EP3 gearbox is AWSOME. The rate at which it change swap cogs at the engine speeds it can achieve, nothing short of brilliant. They all sound like a bag of nails under 2krpm mind you.

wasnt on about the actual action more the overall strength. and its all well qnd good going up the gears but try rushing it from 6th to 4th and there not so good then.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
wasnt on about the actual action more the overall strength. and its all well qnd good going up the gears but try rushing it from 6th to 4th and there not so good then.

It totally depends on how they're driven, I covered 30,000 miles in mine. I bought it on 50,000. Not one crunch or delay in the syncro. But then I always give a blip / heel n toe.

The guy that bought it, on the test drive, goes from 2nd to 3rd in vtec and crunches on his first 'quick' shift.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
My type r is lovely through the gears and when cruising its spring loaded to go from 6th to 3rd,which is nice for a quick overtake...

BMW bus
Friend of mine has owned a cup and a type r. He said the cup was the best handling car he has ever owned, but he is now on his second civic, however that's just his preference.

As has been said before they are so well matched that 9 times out of 10 it will all be down to the driver, and unless you are on a race track or a privately owned stretch of road (ahem) then it doesnt really matter anyway, it's all just pub bragging rights.

Unless you are a racing driver, or you dont give a monkeys if you destroy your clutch, then most people aren't going to hit 60 in the claimed time anyway?

Stripped yozza'd cup
I've read from 6.3 to 6.7.... I think the 6.9 is for the FF, just most places don't change the figure.

I think my cup has the edge over my mates civic 0-60, over about 75 he has the edge. But they're very close.

Cup feels a lot faster to be in though.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I was in my mates type r last night on the way to footy. His is standard bar an induction kit. Feels quick tbh, think it would be pretty close between us. Like said it would be down to the driver all day long. love the way the type r handles though

Dan

Corsa looking at 172
nothin between them, maybe the civic will just edge it when your doing silly speeds. a few of my mates have civics and my car is quicker on a quarter mile though

where in ek do you live mate? i only know of one cup (blue with white wheels and carbon bonnet) mail me lol

and at the end of the day ep3 and cup would be evenish upto silly speeds as said

clio V fn2 then the clio will leave it, they are really nowhere near as fast as stated

Stripped yozza'd cup
My mates civic is an fn2.... Took it on a rolling road in standard trim, produced 218hp ATF.

I'm not sure where all this rubbish about them being slower than the ep3 comes from.....