ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track/Fast Road car.

Trafic 140dci
202.7 or is it .9? Can't really remember :eek: Lol

Dont know if you've been following my project but I've just had a set of 421's fitted and mapped too ;)

Sorry mate couldn't remember the exact figure

Haven't had time to look at your blog for a while - but i'll have a look now!!

I'm still unsure as to whether to bother with cams before it gets mapped - tempted to just chuck it on track and abuse it for the year and do cams next year along with digi-dash and a full re-wire

Trafic 140dci
Sorry mate couldn't remember the exact figure

Haven't had time to look at your blog for a while - but i'll have a look now!!

I'm still unsure as to whether to bother with cams before it gets mapped - tempted to just chuck it on track and abuse it for the year and do cams next year along with digi-dash and a full re-wire
If I was you I wouldn't bother inless your having your belts done. The gains aren't big enough to justify it, especially with running ITB's to as your engine is almost reaching power limits for standard parts, standard injects will only do around 215 and pistons 217.

I only got mine done as I got them second hand and car was booked in to be mapped anyway. Also a new set of belts would give mme piece of mind on that too.

Mines needs belts and pulleys in next 10k lol

I think I'm gonna just abuse it this year though - the amount of money I've spent on it in the last 6 months makes my eyes water lol.. need to get out and use it on track.
Plus my engine has done 120k - I might look at building one up next winter with better internals and cams - aim for 220ish

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
How have you been getting on with the Polo radiator ? have you used it much day today yet ?

Cheers

Not on a daily basis but I have done some long runs in it - did a 6hr trip to Birmingham and back to get the exhaust fitted, and done a lot of VERY spirited back road drives lol
Temperature is spot on - sits directly in the middle of the gauge

I suspect if you sat in traffic in summer it would start to over-heat but I'd just turn the engine off to save fuel in that scenario anyway
The slim line race fan has kicked in a few times and seems to bring the temp down really quickly - it sounds more powerful than the clio one that was originally fitted :D

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Thanks , a few run them but are track cars and Fred seems to think they are not up to it on a road car, a proper alloy one would be ideal but big money !

Cheers

Evo 5 RS
They're pretty slim and shorter to boot, and similar grade to stock so you're essentially just strangling it a little really. It's fine if you're on the go constantly, the Burp boys haven't had a single problem AFAIK. But on a road legal/going car I'd fork out and get a proper one

Trafic 140dci
Mines needs belts and pulleys in next 10k lol

I think I'm gonna just abuse it this year though - the amount of money I've spent on it in the last 6 months makes my eyes water lol.. need to get out and use it on track.
Plus my engine has done 120k - I might look at building one up next winter with better internals and cams - aim for 220ish
High milers seem to be the best, my current lump is on 110,000 and pushing 212.5bhp and 178ftlb's ;) Sir_Dave's is pretty strong, likewise with Fletcher, so don't let the miles put you off.

They're pretty slim and shorter to boot, and similar grade to stock so you're essentially just strangling it a little really. It's fine if you're on the go constantly, the Burp boys haven't had a single problem AFAIK. But on a road legal/going car I'd fork out and get a proper one

Don't really agree with that to be honest. It's slightly slimmer and shorter but it's longer by about 3".
Overall surface area there isn't much difference
I've driven mine in traffic at tick over pace for 15 minutes. Left it running in the garage while mapping until the fan kicked in several times - and I've done a lot of long runs - it's absolutely fine
And for £40 compared to the £2-300 for an alloy one - you can't go wrong

High milers seem to be the best, my current lump is on 110,000 and pushing 212.5bhp and 178ftlb's ;) Sir_Dave's is pretty strong, likewise with Fletcher, so don't let the miles put you off.

Haha yeah it hasn't skipped a beat in 2 years - it's been really well services, it's Sir_Dave's old car :D

Trafic 140dci
Don't really agree with that to be honest. It's slightly slimmer and shorter but it's longer by about 3".
Overall surface area there isn't much difference
I've driven mine in traffic at tick over pace for 15 minutes. Left it running in the garage while mapping until the fan kicked in several times - and I've done a lot of long runs - it's absolutely fine
And for £40 compared to the £2-300 for an alloy one - you can't go wrong
I've got to agree with you on the radiator there, its also about 10mm thicker too! I think Sideways Danny once said it's got roughly the same surface area as i think there are more cooling fins.

Likewise i driven mine through town, or left it idling on the drive and as soon as the temperature goes up, fan kicks in a goes back down pretty quickly.

That's 12" - and you've just made me feel VERY old :( lol

I've been playing around with a semi-fisheye on my X100 today and snapped a quick shot I really like

7000551939_3a6b9ceec1_b.jpg

Thwarrp by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

Trafic 140dci
Nice picture, looks well smart :) I got a Mini SLR, Panasonic Lumix i think, off my parents for my 21st birthday, haven't a clue how to use it to it's full potential, would love to be able to get pictures like that :(

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it's the cheap ebay fans that are problems in traffic on a road car rather than the rad, they're soooooo slow

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
sounds like you got lucky or they've improved lots in the last couple of years. That's VERY cheap lol

Yeah I know LOL

I wanted something to fit just so I could get it up to temperature in the garage and make sure the map was ok and idle was ok and there was no coolant leaks after I fitted the ITB's and new rad - so I bought the cheapest I could find and figured if it was crap I'd just bin it
Turns out it works really well lol

Trafic 140dci
On the rad/fan subject, i took mine out the other day in the heat, through Norwich City centre to goto hospital, at rush hour, so alot of standing around and crawling though traffic. Yeah it got hot lol once going it was alright. What fan do you recomend Dan? Mine is just a 30cm cheapy off eBay.

I very rarely take it out for that kind of drive but the weather was nice and had only just got it back from TDF :) So not to fussed if i don't upgrade.

I had kenlowe recommended to me - but I think the equivalent 12" (sorry 30cm for you kids lol) was about £85

Pacet ones are even more!

I decided to just turn the engine off if I get stuck in traffic lol

Feels like I haven't updated this in ages :(

So much going on with changing jobs and moving house

It's booked in for mapping with the legend that is Phill Lanes & G&G Motorsport - but he's a tad busy at the moment with a BTCC car hehe
Should be getting mapped in about 3 weeks

Decided to do a full service on the car as it's been a year since I've done one - and I found out the gearbox oil is 58k miles old lol

Sorry for the instagram shots but....

Fitted a brand new set of NGK spark plugs and some new HT leads as mine went a bit rusty when I decided to wash the bay (genius) and it's been a bit lumpy ever since

109c2cfc862511e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg

Runs a lot smoother now - no more missfiring.
Also fitted my sunstrip back on after I had to remove it for the MOT - so I can actually drive in day light now without being blinded hehe

Just had all this stuff delivered today from opie oils and another company - also bought a professional hand-vacuum bleeding tool
Gonna pump all the old brake fluid out and replace it all with racing blue stuff - then do a full oil change

Might have to wait till after I've moved house though now :(

84b0e99e888611e1a39b1231381b7ba1_7.jpg

Mityvac MV8000

MV8000.jpg

Got it for £48 I think off eBay

I used to use those that you connect to the bottle and a spare tyre - but had 2 and they kept blowing seals or cracking
Also when you're doing a full flush of the system it's a pain in the ass having to keep disconnecting it to put more fluid in and then re-pressurising etc...

Borrowed one of these off a mate years ago and it was awesome for bleeding brakes

Using this do you connect to bleed nipple and pump until the clear tank is full or you've pulled enough through?

You pump it up to get a vacuum - then undo the bleed nipple and let the fluid run through until there are no more bubbles
Exactly the same as pumping the brakes or using a pressure bleeder - except it pulls the fluid using a vacuum rather than pushing it using pressure

Well we're moving house next week so it's chaos here and I haven't had time to do the service yet
But I got a call today to say my Clio is being mapped on Monday afternoon

Excited and nervous is an understatement LOL
I'm excited to be able to properly thrash the hell out of it at Anglesey without worrying that the map might not be quite right and blow an engine - but I'm nervous because it's all 2nd hand kit that I've fitted myself and I'm hoping I haven't done anything wrong :)

Also found a local bodyshop who've quoted me £400 for a pro-respray of the interior in mondial blue - so that's booked for May 15th
After that's sorted just need to get my cage powder coated white and the whole car built back up for Anglesey on the 25th

I literally can't wait - the interior has been in primer since the cage went in last year - it's going to look soooo good with the white cage back in and my camera mount and the carbon door cards

Hilariously the 306 went to the scrap yard yesterday - so the "track" clio is now my main car for summer too Bwaahhahahaha :D

S1 Rallye Shed
Sounds like you've got alot to do before anglesey. Look forward to seeing it. What cage have you got goin in?

Cage is the same one I had last year

It's an OMP 6 point converted to have a full cross and harness bars. I just took it out to paint the interior and ermmm never got round to it lol

Mapping done :D

The end result was 194bhp and 154lb/ft torque - that was with a red hot engine as we'd been mapping all afternoon
It made the same power on it's first run after tweaking the map when it was cold - so we reckon if we let it cool down and ran it - it'd be around 200bhp

I didn't really have time to let it cool down just to do a power run though as moving house on wednesday morning and i've still not boxed everything up EEK
We went for a play and then drove it home - mind is blown how much better it is
Pulls like a steam train from 2000rpm, smooth as silk - you can cruise through 30 villages in 4th now - it's so well behaved
And then you hit the loud pedal and everything goes backwards haha

2012%2004%2030%20-%20G&G%20Mapping.jpg

LOVE the torque curve :D

I think I might at some point fit ARP rod bolts and raise the limiter because it also makes peak power near enough on the limit
BUT FIRST the exhaust needs modifying - it's a 2.25" group n oreca system that's SUPPOSED to be track safe - but my god - my ears aren't just ringing they HURT.
Gonna see if I can take it into an exhaust place in a few weeks and get a center silencer fitted :( more money...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Seems very reasonable figures :) Peak power is a bit later than I'd expect without cams, but the rpm sync could be out by a couple of hundred I guess (unimportant)

Nice work