ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track/Fast Road car.

Trafic 140dci
Very good graph, so smooth, much smoother than mine on that power, looks very much like the graph from when i had the 45mm trumpets, i'd be very happy!! My mate is getting a V-tech Dyno so will get my car on there as soon as he has so gives us both a good comparison ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
BUT FIRST the exhaust needs modifying - it's a 2.25" group n oreca system that's SUPPOSED to be track safe - but my god - my ears aren't just ringing they HURT.
Gonna see if I can take it into an exhaust place in a few weeks and get a center silencer fitted :( more money...

I had a exhaust like that once upon a time!! From damons roundabout down to the next made my ears ring like mad!! Drive to the ring was horrendous as well. Even hurt my ears with earplugs in!!

Excellent results from the mapping though mate!

Thanks Dan - I think it was actually making that power around 7400rpm - and limiter is 7800rpm. Probably a little bit out on the rpm sync as you say. I love working with Phill though - at least I know the graph is genuine rather than tweaked to make good pub bragging figures :)

Lewis - I can't believe how smooth it is. Coming home I'm in 5th and put my foot down from 45 for an overtake and it just pulls - it feels like a diesel
That to me is the bit i'm impressed the most about because the hole in the torque pre-bodies was shocking. Coming out of the hairpin at anglesey my mates mx5 was pushing me out the way lol.

Northloop - it's really bad. I think it's 103db but 112db inside - way too loud. Just looked on ebay and found a 4" wide 2.25" inlet silencer is £45 which is actually cheaper than buying a bolt-on db killer lol - just need to find someone in lincoln who can weld exhausts. There doesn't seem to be anyone local who does them :(

come down, buy coilovers, have exhaust welded. Simples

Hahaha honestly mate - house move and furnishing has cost me thousands - and then the mapping & bodyshop bill. I'm broke for the next few months

Think i've found the perfect solution for the exhaust

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/Prod...tm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Exhaust Silencers

Clamp on 2.25" inlet 4.5" round repackable silencer. Apparently will drop about 7 or 8db and you can open it up to remove or add packing as required
Plus I can fit it myself by just chopping the middle pipe and then clamping this on :D

Been a while since I've updated this

Car went to the bodyshop for a week to get the interior sprayed - I cut the costs of the work by doing 90% of the prep-work myself. Also took the doors and boot off etc...
Got it back on Tuesday and to say I was happy with the finish is an understatement - it's by no means show quality but lots better than I was expecting!

Tuesday afternoon I spent making a raised floor for the drivers side which has made it infinitely comfier to drive - the 3hr drive to wales didn't make my leg/ankle hurt at all so chuffed with that.

Thanks to Leah and my mate Rick we managed to get the roll cage back in and the whole car built up on Wednesday - then Thursday night I headed off to Anglesey for a track day on Friday

Here's a few pics of it all built back up..

DSCF02691.jpg

DSCF0270.jpg

DSCF0271.jpg

Raised floor and foot rest...

DSCF0272.jpg

DSCF0273.jpg

DSCF0274.jpg

DSCF0275.jpg

Only problem I had was the doors wouldnt shut with the door cards in - so binned them and going to order some oreca ones this week

The drive over to wales went well - the car is pretty economical now it's mapped if I sit at 70 and it's quite a bit quieter now the cage is back in as everything doesn't vibrate quite so much lol.

Anglesey was fantastic - first session out I unfortunately wore a whole into my brake vacuum pipe as it's something I rushed to fit and was intending on swapping for solid pipe but not had time yet. Repaired that and went back out and no further problems all day.

Spent a LOT of the day practicing heel-toe and trail braking - managed to get the understeer down to nearly none but would still love some decent rubber on the car.
Only issue I had was the oil temp hitting 130-140. It was a VERY hot day but I definitely think I need an oil cooler as 15minutes was about the most I could do

I've got some videos which I'll get uploaded later and a few pics from the day to put up

Clio 172
I'm considering getting an oil cooler as well Phil, just need to price one up and figure out where to fit it. I am rubbish at Heal Toe, I think I need to get some proper lessons some time from someone to understand it a bit better, I'd like to master left foot braking as well.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
try removing your undertray, gets a lot of cool airflow across the sump which really helps with oil temps

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Wow - that interior looks a very nice job. It's an area we need to work on. Like the oil temp gauge too - something else we want to fit just to keep an eye on whilst on track.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Cars is looking good mate. What cage is that you have?

I'm looking into oil coolers myself as mine will be turbo'd so will be running slightly hotter again. 140 is very high so a cooler will be needed I think.

Wow - that interior looks a very nice job. It's an area we need to work on. Like the oil temp gauge too - something else we want to fit just to keep an eye on whilst on track.

Yeah I'm really glad I had it at Anglesey - it was pushing 30c and the car was struggling to be honest

Cars is looking good mate. What cage is that you have?

I'm looking into oil coolers myself as mine will be turbo'd so will be running slightly hotter again. 140 is very high so a cooler will be needed I think.

It's an OMP cage that's had the rear modified with an extra diagonal and harness bars - it's bombers old cage :D

Thanks for all the nice comments guys :)

Been thinking about the oil temp thing last night - it was reading 130-140 which is insanely high - but the temperature sensor is in a sandwich plate before the oil filter - so that's the red hot oil coming from the block isn't it?

When that hits the oil in the sump it should cool down a bit

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get a boss welded into the sump for the oil temp sensor and then t-piece the oil pressure sensor off the standard one - then ditch the sandwich plate
That'll give me room to run a thermostatic mocal oil cooler off of it too

172 cup, Impreza P1
You want to know the oil temp in the engine, not at the coolest point but where it is likely to seperate so the block or where you have it just now would be my advice.

On my Impreza I have a oil temp sensor on the block next to No.3 cylinder which is next to the turbo to let me know the hottest area in the engine.

Fair enough - I definitely need an oil cooler then lol

I guess I can keep the sandwich plate I have now with sensors in and then fit another thermostatic sandwich plate for the oil cooler then the filter
There's plenty of room under the airbox

FF BG 182
Well Phil took your advice on Creddo's thread to take a look at yours and WoW lol, cars looking miint ! eager to get back now and start on mine. Still not decided to put moeny into mine or buy another as Black isnt my first choice in colour... Andy's done a good job on the inside ! makes the cage stand out well, Think ive decided with ITB's after this :D cheers

Had a few phone calls with K-Tec over the last few days - managed to order some poly Oreca race door cards
Saw them at the weekend in James (BigAsh) car and they look spot on for what I need.

Unfortunately K-Tec don't have any in stock and have had to order them - with a 2 week wait. I've really got my fingers crossed they come from France in time for me to fit them for FCS as that will finish the interior off nicely

Also been looking at oil coolers - but that's getting a bit complex as I already have a sandwich plate fitted for my pressure/temp sensors

Oh yeah and I've got a piece of nimbus heat shield here finally - so I'm gonna fit that this weekend around the back of the engine bay and the brake reservoir - hopefully that will stop my brakes boiling over like they did at Anglesey. Just need to re-blead them
Waiting for some 10mm pneumatic piping to turn up and I'm gonna re-make my brake vacuum feed with solid pipe behind the heat shield too :)

Good work mate :) We run the oil temp sensor in the sandwich plate and then the pressure one on a boss that comes from the oil cooler. I'm sure they do thermo plates with four take off's :)

Look forward to seeing pic's of the brake servo line's best way to do it IMO

Yeah - I'm not sure whether to keep it routed to the drivers side of the engine which is a much more direct line - or go to the passenger side and along the bulk head behind the heat shield

Will see what works out best. Either way I'm gonna be keeping some spare tube and pneumatic connectors in my bag for track days lol!

I'd go with opposite to how it is now and along past the cam caps and then behind the heat shield :)

Haha the spare parts collections starts here ;) You'll end up taking half a car with you in no time :p

I know!!!

Been looking at Passat 2.5V6 TDi Estates
Full leather, heated seats, auto box - etc.. £1600-2k
Think that will be my winter purchase and a trailer - then I can take all my tools etc.. in the boot

You can get the old 150bhp 2000 era estates for £1500 these days
I quite fancy the V6 for the extra grunt though - and the stupid amount of toys you get on them.

It's most likely getting airbag's and 19/20" audi/porsche wheels - I fancy a bit of a euro **** for my daily car that I can just raise up and chuck the trailer on for track weekends :D

Just had an update call from K-Tec saying the Oreca door cards are ordered and will be with them next week - so should be able to get them to me a few days before Donington :D
Excellent service from Martin/Sean at K-Tec as usual!

The pneumatic fittings all arrived this week and pipe - and a piece of nimbus heat shield. Hoping to get those all fitted this weekend. Will be nice to have brakes again LOL

Mini update

One of those jobs that for some reason kept slipping my mind was the brake vacuum feed
I originally fitted a rubber hose from the solid pneumatic pipe on the bodies to the back of the bay and then onto the original brake vacuum pipe that clips to the bulk head
Unfortunately I'd also removed the heat shield from the back of the bay and forgot to fit any more
While we were mapping it - the original solid plastic renault pipe melted. Ooops
My mate fitted a rubber hose all the way to the master cylinder to get me mapped and home but told me to sort it properly

The car then went to the bodyshop and I forgot about it until the day before anglesey so in a rush I re-routed it to the drivers side of the engine hoping it would keep away from the heat. Then on track it rubbed on the alternator pulley and made a hole LOL

So bodged that back together at anglesey with tape and pipe. But now fixed it properly

I've fitted 10mm pneumatic solid pipe all the way from the bodies to the master cylinder. Brakes feel much better now
And to stop it melting again I've made a custom bit of nimbus heat shield and bolted it in place at the back of the bay.

Big thanks to Riley for letting me steal bits off one of his many 1*2's - handy having a local clio breaker lol

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

Sorry about the iPhone pics - and yes I know the wiring loom for my Omex is shocking. Going to have a new one made up in a few months and move the omex into the car.

I've also been worrying about the Oreca Group N exhaust actually passing noise regulations at Donington next weekend too. Also 48hrs after Anglesey my ears were still ringing :(
So tomorrow I'm popping to a local exhaust place and having another 13" x 4" silencer fitting in the middle pipe. Hopefully this will bring the noise down to a level where I can get on all track days AND i'll be able to actually hear the ITB's :D

All I've got left to do this year then really is to fit the Oreca door cards and re-wire the windows/mirros, paint the engine, buy some R888s, and rewire the omex - happy days :)

Must be honest - I look after my hearing in the cup now.....

b0611y-foam-ear-plugs-box-of-250-pairs-one-size-next-day-delivery-382-p[ekm]150x150[ekm].jpg

Also helped my concentration at brands as no loud exhaust ringing in ears....and mines not even as loud as yours, 94 -96db's at the last two trackdays.

Last edited: