ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Shock Absorber burst - AGAIN

tiTTy & SV650
Well somethings been a bit different about the ride and I've discovered the offside rear shock is leaking. It's not banging loud but theres some noise from that corner.

I've lost count of how many I've had! It's happened at least twice already to this particular corner. I'll be taking it in for 24k service soon but will order a pair of shocks for when it's in.

Any underlying problem that could make this happen time after time? Other than the obviously shight quality of the OEM Shock...

Non-cup'd 182 by the way...

Last edited:
  tiTTy & SV650
no comment, dont go there lol the Scottish lads will come along and say similar no doubt, it's a 'sport' it's designed to be driven enthusiastically! :eek:

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
seems common on the 182's

rear shocks are prone to failing, get it replaced under warranty, or go for coilovers

tiTTy & SV650
I'll get it under warranty, have done several times already :rolleyes:

No ta to coilovers, apex -40 soon....... and then replace the shocks once they're knackered again.

tiTTy & SV650
Nah that side of the car has never left the road, the nearside has only been offroad twice, give us a break... lol

M5,Range Rover Sport & R1
rory182 said:
no comment, dont go there lol the Scottish lads will come along and say similar no doubt, it's a 'sport' it's designed to be driven enthusiastically! :eek:

;)

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
different/revised unit?

bad batch?

to be honest, clio rear shocks arent the best, even some aftermarket rear shocks are prone to failing!

tiTTy & SV650
exactly!!! well i guess there's not a huge amount of un-cup'd 182's out there so its probably common with the standard 182 shocks and they dont see it as a big enough problem to fix cause the majority of people buy cup'd 182s...

Focus ST-2
rory182 said:
Well somethings been a bit different about the ride and I've discovered the offside rear shock is leaking. It's not banging loud but theres some noise from that corner.

I've lost count of how many I've had! It's happened at least twice already to this particular corner. I'll be taking it in for 24k service soon but will order a pair of shocks for when it's in.

Any underlying problem that could make this happen time after time? Other than the obviously shight quality of the OEM Shock...

Non-cup'd 182 by the way...

had the same problem before christmas exact same side, but mine is cupped. took them ages to fix it though t***s!!! lol

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
some oil?

my standard shocks (been on the car for 5 years at the time) came off no problem!

a bolt and a nut, is all that holds it on.

tiTTy & SV650
lol the Seat hit the other side rather gently, and unless he makes a habit of hitting my car I doubt it, this is the 4th time!!!! lol

rory182 said:
exactly!!! well i guess there's not a huge amount of un-cup'd 182's out there so its probably common with the standard 182 shocks and they dont see it as a big enough problem to fix cause the majority of people buy cup'd 182s...

Hi mate I have a non cupped 182(04) Ive never had a problem with mine....
Ive also been running Eibach pro springs for the last 3k miles.

What are the symptoms of shock failure?

Rob.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
harsh clattery ride, severe lack of traction over bumpy ground, clunking noises

you'll also be able to bounce test it, ie push down on each corner, and let it bounce back up, if it bounces an awful lot, it'll have failed. If its too stiff in one corner, it'll also have failed (had that before)