ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182... what upgrades would you fit to your perfect spec road car?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Morning all,

So many threads on here about track cars and race style parts, because lets be honest. The Little 1*2s make for a superb track day machine in any spec.
Yet not all of us have our Clios as track cars.
With that in mind, what mods would you fit to your perfect road car?
Many of you have experienced so many Clios now to know what mods you loved and which ones you maybe regretted.

Cup dampers and springs? or are coilovers worth it?
Solid topmounts for the precise steering feel? or too much NVH?
Dropping the seat height with a fixed bucket? or too focussed so opt for Trendlines?
Uprated engine mounts for the perfectly held transmission? or too much NVH to make it worthwhile?
PMS gear linkage for the best shift? Too raw for the road?

What would you add to your perfect spec daily 1*2 to create the most focussed driving experience without compromising the nature of the vehicle?

:)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
For me, my original cup was the best fast road/track compromise. It had the following:

Kw v2 coilovers & Ast top mounts (no adverse nvh from top mounts)

Vibratechnics engine and box mounts (a bit of feedback through the wheel)

Standard dogbone with the bush turned 180 degrees to reduce movement without harshness

Ds2500’s front and rear with Brembo HC discs.

Yanoo stiff shift

Grp n cam timing.

Et voila.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
I think for fast road springs would be the better option and in my experience, solid engine mounts cause vibrations that kind of get on your nerve, but they also transform the car completely!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I wish I didn’t sell my clio, was perfect mix or fun and comfort.

Recaro’s, snappy wheel, eibach springs, Yanoo’d scenic shifter, solid mounts. I’d buy it back tomorrow.

F6527B95-76F4-47D1-867A-78B427D29679.jpeg
2136D2D0-86E8-4B59-85DF-5884A3AF5E00.jpeg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
All good feedback,
So the inspiration to this thread is that I've recently bought back my old 182 that I owned from almost new (8k miles).
Keen to make the car as focused and enjoyable as possible without ruining it. Its my daily drive, and I do 50 miles a day in it across b roads and country lanes.

Current changes are few:

Full BTM/Yozzasport exhaust
Eibach Sportlines
Braided hoses
16" Turinis
Snappy steering wheel
Alpine headunit

Since buying the car back I've bought the following new genuine Renault parts:
New Cup dampers
New topmounts
New lower arms
New inner & outer track rod ends
Full ARB bush kit
New dogbone mount

Tempted by Vibratechnics and a PMS shifter... but not sure yet.

7282C3C3-7E57-4868-A684-4F443FD38F9D.jpeg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
All good feedback,
So the inspiration to this thread is that I've recently bought back my old 182 that I owned from almost new (8k miles).
Keen to make the car as focused and enjoyable as possible without ruining it. Its my daily drive, and I do 50 miles a day in it across b roads and country lanes.

Current changes are few:

Eibach Sportlines
Braided hoses
16" Turinis
Snappy steering wheel
Alpine headunit

New Cup dampers
New topmounts
New lower arms
Full ARB bush kit
New dogbone mount

View attachment 1424836
That's pretty much a perfect spec once you've fitted the new parts. I would hesitate on the vibratechnic mounts as they do make the car vibrate a bit.

What about getting an induction kit for a bit more engine noise.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
I think the more you do to them the worse they get.
Better seats are a must. Maybe some springs on new shocks and make sure all the bushes are top notch.
I'd leave it there really.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Reluctant to add an induction kit unless it were to be a genuine improvement, rather add a better cold feed to the OEM box maybe?
I was tempted on some PMS topmounts but also reluctant to drill holes in the car

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Don't own a Clio But used to own a brace of Ford puma's.
Suspension wise depends on what b roads are like where you go driving. A b road in say Norfolk is not the same as a b road in Argyll.
Fast road springs work on stuff that's fairly flat but coilovers are a different league when the roads are bumpy.
Plenty of clio gurus that will know more what suits a Clio but think the theory would be the same for most cars.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
All good feedback,

Current changes are few:

Eibach Sportlines
Braided hoses
16" Turinis
Snappy steering wheel
Alpine headunit

New Cup dampers
New topmounts
New lower arms
Full ARB bush kit
New dogbone mount

View attachment 1424836

Absolute goals!!! Looks so cool

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what coilovers would offer over cup dampers other than ride height adjustment at their price point.
In my experience with suspension, id need to spend a minimum of £500 a corner to buy coilovers worth fitting IMO.
£2k vs £140 for Cup dampers is a tough spend, especially when the ride so well on the Cup setup.
I really like the idea of a decent drivers seat and PMS shifter, not sure if the shifter is too antisocial?

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Get the pure gear linkage... it’s like cocking a rifle with every gear change.

Quaife differential is probably the best mod For these.....all understeer vanishes

Groupe n timing / 197 cams.. both mods need a remap. Seems to give nice little gains on the engine

Decent rubber... semi slick for summer fast driving. I use them all year round thou...obviously driving to the conditions is key.

As said... new cup dampers and cook sport or the eibach springs...cheap...nice droop...can last an age but cheap enough to replace every year if you wanted to.

Polly bush dog bone mount..also sharpens up gear changes..I didn’t notice any more vibration with that mod.

Change all rubber brake hose for braided hoses as the originals will be expanding when braking hard and new brake fluid. I found brembo max discs very good..even on track they were good. That’s depending on when they need changing.

I do like my pure motorsport exhaust..sport cat and mid silencer..not super loud..just raspy when pushing on. It’s a light exhaust so win win.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
If money no object.....

-B14s
-Rear ARB
-Toyo 888s
-Refresh all suspension and mounts using genuine parts (less harsh)
-Good pad and disc combo combined with good fluid and braided hoses
-Yozza cat back exhaust
-438 cams
-RS tuning map
-Recaro SPG seat with lower mounts
-Smaller sparco steering wheel

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Reluctant to add an induction kit unless it were to be a genuine improvement, rather add a better cold feed to the OEM box maybe?
I was tempted on some PMS topmounts but also reluctant to drill holes in the car

I fitted a “fatty” style kit to mine and have since changed it for a phase 1 airbox.

Still get some nice noises but less in your face, I have no idea what’s better performance wise though.

Road car driven every day:

Bilsteins
Trendlines
Snappy
induction kit for on/off noise if you must

Glad coilovers are getting some love. It's not about being stiff it's about high quality damper internals.

Cooksports are the worst thing I did to my 182. Cup packed springs/dampers are a fabulous balance of compliant wheels yet a controlled and supported body. Removing 30mm of bump travel via lowering springs without fitting higher quality (does not mean stiffer!) dampers absolute ruins what makes Renaultsports so B road capable IMO.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Road car driven every day:

Bilsteins
Trendlines
Snappy
induction kit for on/off noise if you must

Glad coilovers are getting some love. It's not about being stiff it's about high quality damper internals.

Cooksports are the worst thing I did to my 182. Cup packed springs/dampers are a fabulous balance of compliant wheels yet a controlled and supported body. Removing 30mm of bump travel via lowering springs without fitting higher quality (does not mean stiffer!) dampers absolute ruins what makes Renaultsports so B road capable IMO.

I've got Sportlines on my otherwise stock Cup chassis and although they do look better, the OEM Cup springs rode better. Agree coilovers are superb if they're very high spec units. However my idea of decent coilover suspension is more than the cost of most 182s. Ha

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Cup dampers
Eibsch sportline springs
M1144 front pads
Good quality front discs
Pilotsport3 tyres
Smaller steering wheel

And the best mod for them, rstuner 98ron map

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting a few folk mention a map.
I'm still on the stock map, but wonder how much improvement is available in the drivability?
Engine Dynamics are my local tuners for these I assume, much to be had from a £200 quid tweek?

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I'm still on the stock map, but wonder how much improvement is available in the drivability?
Engine Dynamics are my local tuners for these I assume, much to be had from a £200 quid tweek?

I had mine mapped at ED mate,your not going to get massive power gains.It just makes it idle better,smooth rev range,prob better on mpg & bit more bhp and torque.Also good to see how healthy your engine is on the rollers as it will show up things.Worth doing mod i think for the price

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I had mine mapped at ED mate,your not going to get massive power gains.It just makes it idle better,smooth rev range,prob better on mpg & bit more bhp and torque.Also good to see how healthy your engine is on the rollers as it will show up things.Worth doing mod i think for the price

Pretty much as expected. Not really bothered about upping the power to be honest, but if it would help up the torque and smooth the drivability it wouldn't hurt.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)

Definitely. Assuming the timing is good it's well worth it.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
15s, not a bad idea. I used to drive on NS2Rs & RSRs all year, but currently only on PS3s.
Wonder if 15s would look too small without coilovers as the the relatively subtle drop of the Eibachs may make the car look odd on 15s

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Mine is on cup shocks and sportlines. I sometimes think it could do with being lower, but I also like how it rides our amazingly smooth roads ?

dan's cast offs.
Jack the back end up 5" set of slot mags on, sidewinder exhausts and some stick on flames down the side from each front wheel!!

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I think 15's only work well at there best if on coilovers,but thats just me personal opinion.I thought the PS3's i have on my turinis work best in poor conditions & the 15's i have now on AD80r's are so much better in the dry,gives you more confidence.I wonder how the Ps3's would be in 195/50/15 tho.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I think 15's only work well at there best if on coilovers,but thats just me personal opinion.I thought the PS3's i have on my turinis work best in poor conditions & the 15's i have now on AD80r's are so much better in the dry,gives you more confidence.I wonder how the Ps3's would be in 195/50/15 tho.

They’re definitely better with coilovers, but I also have a lot of speed humps to negotiate. Personally, I’ve been there before with having to avoid certain roads etc.